4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR Solenoid contorl

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

EGR Solenoid contorl

Got the code 1005 is EGRC Solenoid valve. I had it checked out and my mechnic said i need a new EGRC Solenoid control. He said it was a little computer chip almost, and it cost about $300. I was wondering what this part is and where would be the best place to get it. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
oem ftw!

well it definitely doesn't cost $300; find yourself a new mechanic that isn't out to take advantage of people! your local dealership should stock that for about $75. you can replace it yourself with a 10mm open end wrench, or crowfoot wrench (much easier due to the awkward position of the solenoid). As long as you can turn a wrench, you can change the part out in about an hour at most. if your dealership quotes you an outrageous price and you don't mind waiting for delivery, you can order it online from courtesy parts for $63: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

Last edited by CRiME; 12-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2pb
well it definitely doesn't cost $300; find yourself a new mechanic that isn't out to take advantage of people! your local dealership should stock that for about $75. you can replace it yourself with a 10mm open end wrench, or crowfoot wrench (much easier due to the awkward position of the solenoid). As long as you can turn a wrench, you can change the part out in about an hour at most. if your dealership quotes you an outrageous price and you don't mind waiting for delivery, you can order it online from courtesy parts for $63: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=
I dont think its the valve...i think he said its a computer chip that regulates everything. Let me know what you think! Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by Jokester66
I dont think its the valve...i think he said its a computer chip that regulates everything. Let me know what you think! Thanks!!
Well he's wrong. Get another mechanic.

Or, read the post above from someone who knows what they are talking about, and is trying to help you. Without making money.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Jokester66
Code 10-05 is the EGRC solenoid valve. It is not a computer chip per-se. You can see the part if you look by the "valley" where the knock sensor is located. The part is situated right near this opening, it's green and has a plug and two vacuum lines running into it. I had the same code and replaced the part on my own. Code is gone. FWIW, here's some information on the EGR system. Whether or not it will be helpful to you, well, I don't know:

exhaust-gas recirculation (EGR): An emissions-control system that reduces an engine's production of oxides of nitrogen by diluting the air/fuel mixture with exhaust gas so that peak combustion temperatures in the cylinders are lowered.

exhaust-gas recirculation valve (EGR valve): A valve, generally vacuum operated, to regulate the exhaust gas flow into the intake manifold.

EGR control solenoid (EGRC): receives ported and manifold vacuum, an EGR temperature sensor and a control backpressure transducer valve. THE operation of the system is controlled by the PCM which operates the EGRC solenoid. The manifold vacuum system utilizes a vacuum tap in the air intake system positioned after the throttle valve. The ported vacuum control system uses a vacuum tap in the throttle body which is exposed to an increasing percentage of manifold vacuum as the throttle valve is opened during acceleration. The backpressure transducer valve monitors the exhaust backpressure as the engine rpm increases or decreases to aid in controlling the amount of the EGR vacuum signal. The EGR temperature sensor is used to inform the PCM of temperature changes in the EGR passage way. This helps the PCM determine the EGR on/off time.

Last edited by CRiME; 12-03-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Manifold vacuum and ported vacuum

Can someone please tell me where on a 1996 maxima i can hook up a vacuum gauge to read manifold vacuum and ported vacuum. I have a chiltons manual and its not clear which port to hook up to.
Under the throttle body, there is a nipple with a vacuum hose going into it. is that ported or manifold vacuum and if it is one of the 2 where would the other one be.
appreciate your help. basically i am having a EGR CEL code p0302. I have cleaned all the pipes, changed the EGRC solenoid and changed all gaskets while cleaning the plumbing. I think i might have a vacuum leak now because the EGR valve doesnt rise when I rev the engine.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM

have u reset your ECU yet?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 91parkave
have u reset your ECU yet?
Yup
and egr code came back
Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 AM

find another mechanic, cause that one will eat you alive.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Does anyone know what the part is called on courtesy parts now?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 PM

14956V Valve Assy-Solenoid

It's in section 223 - Vacuum piping.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Yes it's a green plastic and metal combination case. It is held in place on the underside with 10mm nut. I went to LOWz and bought a racheting hidged wrench-worth it's weight in gold! I fixed mine myself. Once I got it off the car I carefully crimped the four metal tabs together with needle nose pliers and carefully removed the "piston" and spring and some dirt came out which was jamming it's operation. I put it back together and used a flat blade screw driver to spead the metal tabs back apart and it's worked like a champ. Don't forget to rest your CPU and drive it around a while before inspection! My car has 190,000 mi.s on it and I've done this "procedure" twice now. And yes I've seen the part new for around 80 bucks. If your "mechanic" is getting a trouble code it's not a "chip". He's full of $hit. I have found that working on cars for the last 30 years that I usually know more than most mechanics - especially about my own car!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Same problem

Well i just got a bunch of codes off. But this ones keeps coming back. P1400 is an annoyance. Yesterday i thought i got rid of it after clearing my ecu and changing my coil packs. Only got rid of 0300 which was random misfire.

As you guys can see i am a novice. I have just been reading forums and following guides. Would it be possible for someone to upload a picture of where it is locate and maybe some picks of what i will have to move. I see this thread has been inactive for 2 year at least but i am hoping someone can find the kindness to help me.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT*
I found it it wasn't hard. But i can't figure out where the nut or w/e it is that holds it in place. Just a push in the right direction is all i need.

Thanks

Last edited by Dimitri2000; 08-13-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Found it but don't see where to take of the nut that holds it