4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What aftermarket intake is good for '95 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM

What aftermarket intake is good for '95 Maxima?

I'm looking to get an Injen cold air intake for my car. What other brand are considerable besides Injen?, and how easy is it to install the CAI? Does aftermarket intake really makes a big difference on power, fuel efficiency, and feel?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:44 PM

you're kidding right? Have you searched at all? Googled anything? Looked through anything? I can't even count how many times I've written this post. It's been answered so many time. Injen is not a CAI. It's a HAI. The filter sits right next to the radiator. A real CAI goes into the fender wall for real cold air. HAI give high end power and take low end. CAI give low end and take high end. Fuel economy really isn't effected by intakes I believe. Feel? what do you mean? All aftermarket intakes give and take but produce more sound basically. Point is make the choice of what you want.

/thread
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM

NEWBIE didn't do his HW
Old 10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Pilot8680
What other brand are considerable besides Injen?
HAHAHAHA, Injen? Considerable? HAHAHAHA
Old 10-04-2007, 04:45 PM

i smell a lock coming
Old 10-04-2007, 04:51 PM

In before teh lawk.......

oh and stock works pretty well.....

Even though I dont use it....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

The best aftermarket intake is the Stillen blower kind.....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Their motto should be the greatest aftermarket intake made.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM
the max thats growing up

Originally Posted by The Wizard
what about the Place Racing CAI i think that is the best and truly made CAI for the maxima
Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM

omg, did that seriously just happen?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM

SHOP-VAC TURBO FTW NEWB!!1!!.....muahaha-hahaha-haaaaa

+1 Place racing. Do some research on the topic. Also research your mass air flow sensor voltage.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
the max thats growing up

Originally Posted by Specialeded
SHOP-VAC TURBO FTW NEWB!!1!!.....muahaha-hahaha-haaaaa

+1 Place racing. Do some research on the topic. Also research your mass air flow sensor voltage.
Only if Place Racing waas still up and runing who knows what they would have done for the max...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 PM

One could custom make an intake, purchase a Ebay special that mounts in the fenderwell
or purchase used.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM

or not and use the stock one which gives the best performance unless doing some super revving.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
i has college

Does aftermarket intake really makes a big difference on power, fuel efficiency, and feel?
Oh yeah, it increases your feel by 200 Feel Units. The stock intake is extremely feel-restrictive.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by EnervinE
Oh yeah, it increases your feel by 200 Feel Units. The stock intake is extremely feel-restrictive.
brilliant... just wow
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM

dude, the whole purpose of gettting an intake in general is to eliminate or reduce the amount of drag, friction, and restriction of the air. thats why all the intake walls are round and smooth. buy one from ebay. i wouldnt waste your money on a name brand one because after all its just tubing. i mean people argue that its the type of metal they use to keep the air temp down but really...? com'mon.
and i dont know how you are but....
how easy is it to install the CAI?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by gunny11218
dude, the whole purpose of gettting an intake in general is to eliminate or reduce the amount of drag, friction, and restriction of the air. thats why all the intake walls are round and smooth. buy one from ebay. i wouldnt waste your money on a name brand one because after all its just tubing. i mean people argue that its the type of metal they use to keep the air temp down but really...? com'mon.
and i dont know how you are but....
man, i'm really feeling the icy hot stuntaz pic in your sig...

the point of any intake is to increase air velocity while maintaining safe filtration. more correctly to reduce impedence in the pathway of said air. the stock intake is designed to provide a balance of power, economy and noise dampening. any aftermarket intake will compromise somewhere. a HAI will reduce lowend power, CAI will reduce highend power, hybrid is a good balance but still suffers from some lowend losses. the increases can be fairly easily attributed to the phenomenon behind them. an engine will consume a fairly precise amount of air, measured in liters. a liter is a measure of volume, not a measure of how much oxidation potential said air has. a liter of hot air can not oxidize as much fuel as a liter of cold air, since the cold air is denser and contains more oxygen. with a HAI you lose lowend power because the filter is near the hot, hot engine in a cramped engine bay. because the incoming air charge is hot, the air is less dense, can oxidize less fuel for combustion and makes less power. CAI can pull a cold intake charge of air at low speeds, but since it sits in the wheel well, at high speeds there is thinner air to be scavanged from between the wheel and the top of the wheelwell. hybrid has a bit better lowend than HAI but is still in a hot engine bay, albeit a bit further away from the engine. this is also dependant on where the filter is placed. injen is behind the radiator and frankencar is in front/to the side of the driver's side wheelwell.

regardless of what intake you get, you will never gain a whole lot of horsepower unless the orignal design from the factory is absolutely awful or unless you have a whole lot of other mods in conjunction. by simple mechanics, an internal combustion engine uses MASSIVE amounts of air during normal operation. it burns an AIR/FUEL mixture. that's mostly AIR. because of the vacuum produced in a cylinder on the downstroke, air is VIOLENTLY sucked in through the just-opened intake port. with the kind of power behind air expanding to fill a partial vacuum and the necessity of air to an internal combustion engine, it's difficult to seriously impede the progress of the intake stream unless you really try. this is the reason that ram-air setups are complete BS. in order to ram more air into the intake by force you would have to go so fast that the drag produced by the intake scoops would far outweigh any "ram-air" benefits. a product of an engine's operation and also a necessity of it, is to suck in a lot of air. in and of itself it already is more than powerful enough to get that air from whatever the intake is connected to.

if you are going to cheap out on an intake, be careful what you buy. there are plenty of cheap foam filters out there. sucking foam into your throttlebody won't do you any good. a K&N cone will set you back $40 at autozone. all you will need to make a HAI with that is an adapter plate. alternately you can just make something yourself.

all that said, i love my frankencar hybrid intake. it may not make as much lowend power as a CAI or maybe even the stock intake, but for me a big part of my affection for a car is the noise it makes. and what a noise a VQ with a good intake makes indeed...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 PM

Search around and
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM

ok thank you DKO for that intriguing summary of how an intake works.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 AM

leaf blower intake.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Visual Mod Freak

Roto-Rooter Intake.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings winning.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 AM

Seriously though I went to pepboys and bought a spectra cone filter for $20 and a budget ypipe and knocked 9 tenths off my quarter mile time. You should try it. It may not look good but its functional.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM

^^ You must have been one of the lucky ones to have bought one of the good batch of the maximas
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 AM

Belt driven intake.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Belt driven intake.
OH NOES!!! Where can I buy?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Visual Mod Freak

Originally Posted by JSutter
it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings winning.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Belt driven intake.
Nah, those are bad too because they are parasitic...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
WSH for teh cup

Just take the filter off, it's restrictive
Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dko
man, i'm really feeling the icy hot stuntaz pic in your sig...

the point of any intake is to increase air velocity while maintaining safe filtration. more correctly to reduce impedence in the pathway of said air. the stock intake is designed to provide a balance of power, economy and noise dampening. any aftermarket intake will compromise somewhere. a HAI will reduce lowend power, CAI will reduce highend power, hybrid is a good balance but still suffers from some lowend losses. the increases can be fairly easily attributed to the phenomenon behind them. an engine will consume a fairly precise amount of air, measured in liters. a liter is a measure of volume, not a measure of how much oxidation potential said air has. a liter of hot air can not oxidize as much fuel as a liter of cold air, since the cold air is denser and contains more oxygen. with a HAI you lose lowend power because the filter is near the hot, hot engine in a cramped engine bay. because the incoming air charge is hot, the air is less dense, can oxidize less fuel for combustion and makes less power. CAI can pull a cold intake charge of air at low speeds, but since it sits in the wheel well, at high speeds there is thinner air to be scavanged from between the wheel and the top of the wheelwell. hybrid has a bit better lowend than HAI but is still in a hot engine bay, albeit a bit further away from the engine. this is also dependant on where the filter is placed. injen is behind the radiator and frankencar is in front/to the side of the driver's side wheelwell.

regardless of what intake you get, you will never gain a whole lot of horsepower unless the orignal design from the factory is absolutely awful or unless you have a whole lot of other mods in conjunction. by simple mechanics, an internal combustion engine uses MASSIVE amounts of air during normal operation. it burns an AIR/FUEL mixture. that's mostly AIR. because of the vacuum produced in a cylinder on the downstroke, air is VIOLENTLY sucked in through the just-opened intake port. with the kind of power behind air expanding to fill a partial vacuum and the necessity of air to an internal combustion engine, it's difficult to seriously impede the progress of the intake stream unless you really try. this is the reason that ram-air setups are complete BS. in order to ram more air into the intake by force you would have to go so fast that the drag produced by the intake scoops would far outweigh any "ram-air" benefits. a product of an engine's operation and also a necessity of it, is to suck in a lot of air. in and of itself it already is more than powerful enough to get that air from whatever the intake is connected to.

if you are going to cheap out on an intake, be careful what you buy. there are plenty of cheap foam filters out there. sucking foam into your throttlebody won't do you any good. a K&N cone will set you back $40 at autozone. all you will need to make a HAI with that is an adapter plate. alternately you can just make something yourself.

all that said, i love my frankencar hybrid intake. it may not make as much lowend power as a CAI or maybe even the stock intake, but for me a big part of my affection for a car is the noise it makes. and what a noise a VQ with a good intake makes indeed...
DITTO
Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 PM

I.T.B's FTMFW duh, you should buy these, everyone is running them.

or search
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by markd248

I.T.B's FTMFW duh, you should buy these, everyone is running them.

or search

wait, we only have one throttle body though. so it would be I.T.B.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo

short learning time. i like to call it "crunch ILT" or crunch intense learning touchdowns!, the whole point of ITB's are to be independent throttle bodies so in the end we will have 6 mini throttle bodies. you know what they say!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by g4nismo

n00b
Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Well my sarcasm fails due to the n00bs.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM
SLOW

Old 10-06-2007, 11:39 AM

lol this thread is a cluster****
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero

n00b
i was kiddin tard, even though it didn't sound like sarcasm that much. maybe i should of added the

Last edited by G4nismo; 10-07-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm looking to get an Injen cold air intake for my car. What other brand are considerable besides Injen?, and how easy is it to install the CAI? Does aftermarket intake really makes a big difference on power, fuel efficiency, and feel?

Quick Reply: What aftermarket intake is good for '95 Maxima?