4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Cali-spec KS Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

99 Cali-spec KS Help

I'm trying to replace my knock sensor. I read the sticky a while ago and it is SLIGHTLY different from the 95-98 (possibly 99 fed) Maxima's.

After the org went through the upgrade, the link in the sticky is linked to something else.

Does anyone know the original link/url to the page for the 99 cali-spec KS removal/installation or can guide me on how to replace it (pictures of where it is would be helpful)?

From the driver side, I see a bolt that is painted red in the valley. Would this be it or is it somewhere looking in from the passenger side?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 AM

I was about to replace my knock sensor on my 99 Cali-spec the other morning and theres much less room to work with as opposed to other year federal spec maximas. I've done the swap on 95's, 96's, & a 97 without any problems in less than 15 minutes per vehicle. I might just end up yanking off the intake plenum(s) for a bit of ease. Aside from that, my knock sensor is covered in leaves down in the valley and I don't have access to compressed air to blow them out.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:02 AM

To even access the KS on the 99 california spec cars you need to remove the swirl valve and a few vac lines in order to even reach at it. The opening is a little bit smaller but you should still be able to get your hand in there. It took Kevin (KRRZ350) 3.5 hours to get it done on my car and some say it is required to remove the manifold to torque it properly. All you really need to do is clear up some space on the drivers side of the engine (where the swirl valve is) and reach in. From there follow the FSM on torquing and all that good stuff. And dont forget to hook up the valves/vac lines when youre done. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Ohh man... this sounds like a heck of a job. I guess the swirl valve is the bolt that's sitting right in front and painted red that I was talking about...
Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 PM

The swirl valve should not be painted red...unless you or the previous owner(s) painted it. It basically looks like an aluminum soup can that has vacuum lines running to and from it. Its located just to the right of the Nissan 3000 cover....just a min, Ill get a pic up of what I am talking about.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 PM

This pic was taken the 2nd day I had my car....and it shows where the swirl valve is in its stock location, behind the Nissan 3000 cover on the drivers side of the engine.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
This pic was taken the 2nd day I had my car....and it shows where the swirl valve is in its stock location, behind the Nissan 3000 cover on the drivers side of the engine.
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...=swirlcopy.jpg

There's a red bolt in there... that's not it right? I just want to make sure...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM

I couldn't tell you what the red bolt underneath the manifold is, but the swirl valve is the little metal silver canister that somewhat blocks your way underneath the manifold. I just snapped a few pics to help clarify:

Swirl Valve:

Emissions crap also needed to be moved to access:

Keep in mind, I removed the whole stock intake assembely which is not necessary, but it helps i guess. (I have a hi-flow intake now) Hope this helps clear things up.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I couldn't tell you what the red bolt underneath the manifold is, but the swirl valve is the little metal silver canister that somewhat blocks your way underneath the manifold. I just snapped a few pics to help clarify:

Swirl Valve:

Emissions crap also needed to be moved to access:

Keep in mind, I removed the whole stock intake assembely which is not necessary, but it helps i guess. (I have a hi-flow intake now) Hope this helps clear things up.
Ohh ok.. I'll try to work on it tomorrow and see how well it goes. Thanks for your help!