4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Horrible sound comming from passenger side front wheel, wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Horrible sound comming from passenger side front wheel, wheel bearing?

I hear the sound when under about 40mph. The sound is speed based, at higher speeds it sounds like a fast metal on metal scraping and sometimes it just squeaks. At lower speeds (0-10mph) its a slow crunching sound. My first guess was that my brake pads were low and that metal tab on the pad was scraping on the rotor, that wasnt it. The rotor isnt scraping on the back plate, the wheel and tire are not scraping on anything. The axle isnt scraping on anything, everything there has proper clearance, nothing is rubbing up on anything else.

I tried the standard test on the wheel bearing; grabbing the tire at the top and bottom and pushing and pulling on it looking for play, there is none. Are there any other tests I can do on a wheel bearing? Can one go bad but still not have any play in it?

The sound came up about 6 months ago and was very faint, only recently has it been getting worse and very noticeable. From the time the sound first originated to now I have not done anything suspension wise, ride height has not changed. I have been running a lot of negative camber though. Can that hurt a wheel bearing? In the ~60k miles Ive had the car I have never changed a wheel bearing.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 AM

The sound goes away above 40 or so, or the tire/wind noise drowns it out?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:01 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

It may just be my road noise downing it out, but its so prominent below 40 that I would think Id be able to still hear it, but I dont know.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM

so you said you checked the rotor section and it wasnt there.....hmmm...strange.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Low offset wheels/spacers can prematurely wear out wheel bearings, and I suppose so can negative camber in theory as every hard corner will be loading the bearing more. Due to the nature of the sound and the fact that it's progressively getting worse, my money would still be on the bearing, and if so you need to get on it QUICK or your hub will be fubar'd. I've never done the WB test on a bad bearing so I can't tell you how much play to expect... ask around and see if any of your buddies has a second opinion. If it doesn't seem like the bearing to them then I'm not sure what it could be.

To replace the bearing you'd either need a ten ton press or (obviously) to take it to a shop.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

hmmm, maybe Ill do it this weekend. I have my own press so replacing it shouldnt be to bad, I just dont want to do it, heh.

edit: just looked up the price of a wheel bearing, I didnt know they were only $42, thought it was a lot more. Guess Ill just do it for the hell of it.

Last edited by Vlasic; 09-24-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Sounds like a wheel bearing. I have replaced by front wheel bearings a couple of times because of a bad steering knuckle (it was out of round forcing the bearing out of round).

a few things to keep in mind when doing the bearing. If you ABS, don't try and remove the sensor. Take the time to disconnect it front inside the engine compartment (this is very important as the new sensor is approx $175 and it is impossible to remove - trust me i know ) Along with the bearing you are going to need two new seals (about $15 each). The shop I took it to charged $30 to press the old one out and new one it after I brought them the knuckle.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm having the same problem, but with a 2000 maxima. I get a high pitched squel (like worn brakes make, but its not the brakes) but then i cut the wheel i hear the metal scraping sound. The more i read, I'm thinking either the cv axle or wheel bearing.

Any one have any ideas? I'm dropping it off at a trusted mechanic on friday I'll let you know vlasic.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
slackass

I was just going to post this exact same issue. I changed rotors and pads and the noise is still there. I plan on changing the bearing tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:53 AM

I had the same situation not too long ago, thought it was brakes. The bearing fixed it....but it was no $42 part. It was probably 3 times that...
Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Double E
I had the same situation not too long ago, thought it was brakes. The bearing fixed it....but it was no $42 part. It was probably 3 times that...
That's too much IMO. The genuie bearing is around $45, seals are $12 each so total is no more than $70 excluding labor.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Well I just ordered a new bearing, gonna change it this weekend. Another problem Im noticing is that when Im on the free way if I give it just the right amount of throttle I get a fast whistling sound coming from the wheel. If Im off the throttle I dont get it and if I give it too much I dont get it, but if I give just a litlte bit of throttle the whistling starts.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM

keep us updated as to what stops when you replace the bearing.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Well I still havent had time to look at it, probably gonna happen on Tuesday or THursday but I have more info about the sound.

Ive been paying real close attention to it lately and it seems to happen when there is load on the wheels from the transmission. When Im moving on the freeway I still get a whistling sound, (whistling NOT a humming like you get with a normal bad wheel bearing), but at slower speeds like when Im comming to a stop its pretty quiet until I push in the clutch then loud scratching/squealing starts.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Honestly, check your tires. My tires had this weird damage and caused some grinding/vibrations that were quirky in that it wouldn't seem this damage would cause what I was getting.

Nvm, cant find the pic. It looked like an acid burn in the tire. It cause it to be out of balance I guess, and cauased some grinding/rubbing. It went away over 35 MPH.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bearing

its the bearing
you better replace the bearing before it wears out the hub
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a question, my car is doing also a very strange noise, they told me that is the wheel bearing, now the question is, is it different the front and the back wheel bearing? ... Cause i was checking some autoparts pages but they only have the front, sorry if this doesn't goes here.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Well it was the wheel bearing, kind of. Just got the bearing replaced and it was bad, so was my hub, so most of the problem is gone, but there is still one more. I still get this scratching sound when Im accelerating from a stop. Once Im in about 3rd gear going maybe 30+mph you cant really hear it anymore, but I think thats just because its moving so fast. I have no idea what this sound is.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

same here, help

my wife's 92 maxima has this problem except i changed her brakes, then realized that it was to far gone to be the brakes, it had to be the wheel bearing, but women don't listen to well and now the whole hub and knuckle assemble is totally worn out. went to the juckyard to get another one and now it won't fit or should i say it won't slide on. what the hell is the problem, anyone know????
Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 AM

i had the same problem it was definately my wheel bearings....