4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A question about jackstands.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 05:52 PM

A question about jackstands.

This is pasted directly from the sticky:

Look under either side of the vehicle and you will see a boxed section of the floorpan, running fore-and-aft. This amounts to a "frame" on a frameless vehicle. You may position the saddle of your floor jack under the leading end of this "frame" (just behind the front wheel) or under the trailing end (just ahead of the rear wheel). These are the same spots which are used when a shop technician uses a lift to raise your car. You may use these same points for a jack or jackstands.

When I did my suspension I followed these guidelines. I placed the stands under the boxed section as it says. It worked well for the front, but I noticed when I lowered the rear onto the stands using this boxed rail, that it crushed it about half way. Only the size of the stands. I don't really mind about that. But since then I've gotten my Y pipe and I have been reading up and printing out how2's on the installation. Since I am going to be physically under the middle of the car to do this install, I want to double check that I am using the right spot for the stands.

This inner boxed rail seems to be set under the car a bit far. And I have also noticed in pics included in the write ups, that some people placed the stands on the outer edge of the frame. Any words of wisdom are a big help for my confidence when I am under there tomorrow yanking on wrenches as hard as I can to loosen rusty bolts.

Thanks for keeping me safe.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:55 PM

And 1 more thing.

One writup I have says to remove the front wheels when installing the Y, and another write up doesn't mention this. I don't really see it necessary to take off the wheels. Should I?
Old 10-04-2001, 06:21 PM

Re: A question about jackstands.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
... When I did my suspension I followed these guidelines. I placed the stands under the boxed section as it says. It worked well for the front, but I noticed when I lowered the rear onto the stands using this boxed rail, that it crushed it about half way. ...
I'm sorry you had that misfortune. I can't explain it. I've supported my cars in this manner many times with no ill effects.

Please see photos in the Chilton repair manual (page 1-47) for two examples of jackstand placement. One of Chilton's two methods is consistent with the Sticky.

The vertical pinch weld is to be used only with the factory-supplied tire-changing jack.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:43 PM

Re: And 1 more thing.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
One writup I have says to remove the front wheels when installing the Y, and another write up doesn't mention this. I don't really see it necessary to take off the wheels. Should I?
to install your ypipe, it's much easier to just use ramps and drive the front wheels up. don't forget to block the rears and put bricks as an added safety measure! it's really easy after that. good luck.
daniel B, i have a question for you..please email me.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:11 PM

Re: Re: And 1 more thing.

Originally posted by VQdriver
... daniel B, i have a question for you..please email me.
Please post your question on the forum. I prefer not to use E-mail unless the subject matter is intensely personal (in which case I'm not qualified to answer) or a matter of national security (in which case my security clearance isn't high enough to read the content).
Old 10-05-2001, 06:33 AM
Conecarver

Re: Re: A question about jackstands.

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I'm sorry you had that misfortune. I can't explain it. I've supported my cars in this manner many times with no ill effects.

Please see photos in the Chilton repair manual (page 1-47) for two examples of jackstand placement. One of Chilton's two methods is consistent with the Sticky.

The vertical pinch weld is to be used only with the factory-supplied tire-changing jack.

Thanks Daniel for the Chilton page. Gotta start using those spots. Another early woops on those vertical pinch welds last year I've crushed both that and the box rail in the past. Learned quick that wasn't right.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: And 1 more thing.

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Please post your question on the forum. I prefer not to use E-mail unless the subject matter is intensely personal (in which case I'm not qualified to answer) or a matter of national security (in which case my security clearance isn't high enough to read the content).

SuDZ