4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

possible cv joint problem need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 04:49 PM

possible cv joint problem need assistance

last weekend i drove about 850 miles round trip. it was mostly highway driving at speed between 80-100.

now that i'm back home doin' my normal commute, i hear an odd noise at various speeds. the sound seems to originate from the front of the car and has something to do with the wheels/transaxle since i don't hear the noise while stopped, or when turning. i can notice the sound while coasting or during acceleration.

the hayes manual says it may be a constant velocity joint prob, or perhaps out of balance front wheels, or out of round front tires.

has anyone had a problem similar to this and can recommend a course of action??
Old 10-01-2001, 05:01 PM

Re: possible cv joint problem need assistance

Originally posted by j_bryan
last weekend i drove about 850 miles round trip. it was mostly highway driving at speed between 80-100.

now that i'm back home doin' my normal commute, i hear an odd noise at various speeds. the sound seems to originate from the front of the car and has something to do with the wheels/transaxle since i don't hear the noise while stopped, or when turning. i can notice the sound while coasting or during acceleration.

the hayes manual says it may be a constant velocity joint prob, or perhaps out of balance front wheels, or out of round front tires.

has anyone had a problem similar to this and can recommend a course of action??
Please rotate your tires, exchanging fronts with rears. If the symptom changes, the problem is with a wheel or tire. If the symptom remains, the problem is with a vehicle part, and you may investigate as follows...

1) Verify that all wheel nuts are tight.

2) Raise the car. If you have a floor jack you can raise the entire front end at once, and test both front wheel bearings. No need for jackstands, as you will not get under the car.

3) Grab the top of the tire (12 o'clock) and push away from yourself and pull toward yourself. Yank it to and fro in this fashion several times. If there is noticeable free play or a "clunking" sound, the wheel bearing may be damaged.

4) Spin the wheel. If it spins freely but makes ugly sounds the wheel bearing may be damaged. If it won't spin freely the brake may be dragging. This could indicate a sticking caliper.

5) Remove the wheel. Make a careful visual inspection of the brake and surrounding parts. Look for ...
- a stamped sheet metal baffle plate which has been bent and is rubbing the rotor.
- a pebble or other foreign body which is trapped and is rubbing the rotor.
- a brake shim which has slipped out of position and is rubbing the rotor.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: possible cv joint problem need assistance

daniel b,

thanks for taking time to assist me. it seems as thought every other post has your name in it the subject. good thing you're generous with your time and are willing to share your experience.

i'll follow your recommendations and let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:24 AM

Re: Re: possible cv joint problem need assistance

tires were rotated. still hearing the sound. will proceed with the next suggestions..
Old 10-20-2001, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: possible cv joint problem need assistance

Originally posted by j_bryan
tires were rotated. still hearing the sound. will proceed with the next suggestions..
i jacked up the front tires and moved them in the manner you suggested. i didn't hear any obvious clunking sound. then I removed both tires and inspected the brakes, didn't see anything rubbing against the rotors. someone suggested it could be worn brake pads, but since the sound occurs when i'm not braking, i don't think it's related to that.
Old 10-20-2001, 03:05 PM

As far as I know, it's prob not a CV problem if you dont hear anything when turning. From experience with the various cars I've owned, I've noticed that every time I had a blown CV, you would get a loud ticking noise when turning the wheel to the left or right, most of all when it's extreme left/right. I may be wrong, but I figured my personal input might help. Good luck!