4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator Test By Disconnection Battery After Engine Starts

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 08:57 AM

Alternator Test By Disconnection Battery After Engine Starts

I've read some posts here on the org and have been told by Autozone guys that by disconnecting the battery after the engine starts is a quick way of testing the alternator.

Well I did this by disconnecting the negative terminal to the battery while engine is running and the car kept running. One observation I made is if I immediately turn on my headlight or parking light the car will stall. But if I wait for 2-3 minutes and turn on the headlights everything is ok. Why?

Then I redo the test but this time disconnect BOTH + and - terminals to the battery and this time the car immmediately stalled.

Which of these two tests is correct? Another rep from a different Autozone told me the car cannot simply run off the alternator even after it has started since other components such as fuel pump needs electrical power. So who is right here? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2001, 09:15 AM

Bad idea

Originally posted by Enduro
I've read some posts here on the org and have been told by Autozone guys that by disconnecting the battery after the engine starts is a quick way of testing the alternator.

Well I did this by disconnecting the negative terminal to the battery while engine is running and the car kept running. One observation I made is if I immediately turn on my headlight or parking light the car will stall. But if I wait for 2-3 minutes and turn on the headlights everything is ok. Why?

Then I redo the test but this time disconnect BOTH + and - terminals to the battery and this time the car immmediately stalled.

Which of these two tests is correct? Another rep from a different Autozone told me the car cannot simply run off the alternator even after it has started since other components such as fuel pump needs electrical power. So who is right here? Thanks!
Who is right? IMHO they are both wrong!

The battery serves as a voltage stabilizer, a "ballast" of a sort. If the alternator delivers charging current with an occasional "spike" (a momentary but sharp increase) the battery will absorb it. With the battery out of the cicuit, that spike will be passed along to all the delicate electronics inside the car, including the Engine Control Module. I would never do this to my car!
Old 09-27-2001, 09:21 AM

Re: Alternator Test By Disconnection Battery After Engine Starts

Originally posted by Enduro

you shouldn't do either one of those. when you disconnect your battery while the car is running you over work your alternator (full field) your alternator has to produce enough power to keep the car running.
it's not a safe way to test your alternator. the voltage spike could fry your ECU or any sensitive electrical components you have.

you should goto sears, autozone, automotive store & buy a battery load tester.
first load test the battery to check that it is holding a good charge
then perform an alternator output test. there should be instruction that come with the load tester. it is an inexpensive piece of test equiment that is very useful.

and as for a car being able to run with no battery connected after it is started.......
the older cars without all the electrical doodads can run run on the alternator. but with the newer car i'm not sure, but don't wanna try could become a very expensive mistake