4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 06:16 PM

When I turn my car on it's not that it's loud, its just not nice and quiet. You can just hear the motor running and it's just not as quiet as it was when it was new, and my friend said oh I had the same problem just take it to the dealer and have your valves adjusted and that should help ( he drives a honda ) it worked for me. Except when I went to nissan dealership and asked them about adjusting the valves he said it never needs to be done. Granted I don't know much but I said you mean after 5 years and 50,000 miles all of the 24 valves are perfect and dont need to be adjusted ( my friend said it was the valve timing ) and he said they never need to be adjusted. So my question is if the guy at the dealership is right, what is wrong then??? Also if it's hot outside and I have the a/c running and then the fan kicks in, and that is excessivly loud and annoying if your standing outside the car you can't even have a conversation without raising your voice over the fan. Any ways of getting around either of these problems, any suggestions/comments will help, thanks
-nate
96 SE
Old 10-26-2000, 08:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Maxima has Hydralic lifters >>>>>

so that means you really do not have to adjust the valves like the Hondas. I used to own a Honda and it was not really that hard to adjust the valves but it was a pain to have to do them every 12,000 miles or so. Be glad that the Nissan engines do not need valve adjustments. Also if your engine is kind of loud when you first start it, you may want to try to use synthetic oil, this will allow the oil to get to the hydralic lifters faster and help them pump up faster too. That noise that you may be hearing is the hydralic lifters clacking, so getting the oil to them faster may help. Good Luck !!!!!
Old 10-26-2000, 11:07 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

actually the 4th gens switched to mechanial valvetrain. Mechnical is freeer revving and allows for higher RPM. There is a specification and time to do valve adjust but havent heard of it being a prob on 4th Gens. Hondas are notorious for having noisy valvetrains. Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2000, 11:17 PM

I recall a conversation on the mailing list awhile back affirming that the VQ's valves do have to be adjusted after sometime, as they are not hydraulic. Email Andi Baritchi for more info on that.
Old 10-26-2000, 11:26 PM
mrloyd

hmm

First switch to synthetic and make sure to use a good filter with a good anti drainback valve, this will keep some oil in the filter for quicker flow on startup. I do think that 4 gen has hydraulic lifters though.Could be wrong. The only clue i can find in my haynes manual without looking all night is that in the general maintenance section it says to check and adjust the valves on 3rd gen every 60k, but it says for 4th gen only if excessive noise. Call the service dept a courtesy nissan, they should give you a real answer you can count on. Hothing you can do with the fan though, unless you want to rewire it to a manual switch. If you run mobil 1, and get a tranny cooler( 45 bucks and easy to install, this will make your car run cooler overall, make it last longer, and your fan may come on less.

Old 10-27-2000, 12:31 AM

Anybody have an idea about how much this should cost? My valves are a little noisy.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:52 AM
mrloyd

$$$

So are mine. I don't know, but i think alot. I know it costs about 75 inc gaskets to do my truck, 85 nissan, 4cyl with 8 valves, and very easy to take off valve cover. Max is 24 valves, with two valve covers/gaskets, and fot the rear one it seems like you would have to take off alot of stuff to get to it, like intake manifold, hoses, wires, and cables. Figure truck = about 1 hour @65 +gasket. Max would be more like, Well, twice the number of valve covers and three times the number of valves, i dunno, prob about 3-4 hours so figgure at least 250

Old 10-27-2000, 05:45 AM
Wayne

I have the same problem and its not only on start up its all the time. Its not to loud but you can hear it. It sounds like the lifters to me you can hear a TIC TIC TIC if you rev it the tic just get faster.When I first bought the car it was quiet as hell you did not no is was on. I was told by someone that ajusting the valves will stop the sound. Dont know how true this is.

Old 10-27-2000, 07:04 AM

valves knocking

Originally posted by nforg
When I turn my car on it's not that it's loud, its just not nice and quiet. You can just hear the motor running and it's just not as quiet as it was when it was new, and my friend said oh I had the same problem just take it to the dealer and have your valves adjusted and that should help ( he drives a honda ) it worked for me. Except when I went to nissan dealership and asked them about adjusting the valves he said it never needs to be done. Granted I don't know much but I said you mean after 5 years and 50,000 miles all of the 24 valves are perfect and dont need to be adjusted ( my friend said it was the valve timing ) and he said they never need to be adjusted. So my question is if the guy at the dealership is right, what is wrong then??? Also if it's hot outside and I have the a/c running and then the fan kicks in, and that is excessivly loud and annoying if your standing outside the car you can't even have a conversation without raising your voice over the fan. Any ways of getting around either of these problems, any suggestions/comments will help, thanks
-nate
96 SE

I have the same problem. When I bought my '97 SE it was nice and smooth. You couldn't hear the engine knocking.
After 5000 miles (now 58k) it stated to knock.
Right now it comes and goes, and u can really hear it when idling. I have a feeling that sooner or later it will come and will not go away. The strange thing is that my last oil change was synthetic oil (mobil 1).
Are there and fixes for that? My car is still on power train warranty, but i heard that nissan only fixes something when it's broke. Anyway i still have 2k miles
before the warranty runs out, so it better breaks during that time
Old 10-27-2000, 08:33 AM
The missing moderator

Re: valves knocking

Ticking and knocking are different things. If it's ticking it could be the valves. If you are getting engine knock or pining, then it's NOT a good thing. Knocking is the engine detonating. If you are getting detonation, you need to try and fix that. cause you engine will go.

BTW knocking sounds like metallic tapping. Some say like marbles in a tin can?

-Shing

Originally posted by maximizer
Originally posted by nforg
-nate
96 SE

I have the same problem. When I bought my '97 SE it was nice and smooth. You couldn't hear the engine knocking.
After 5000 miles (now 58k) it stated to knock.
Right now it comes and goes, and u can really hear it when idling. I have a feeling that sooner or later it will come and will not go away. The strange thing is that my last oil change was synthetic oil (mobil 1).
Are there and fixes for that? My car is still on power train warranty, but i heard that nissan only fixes something when it's broke. Anyway i still have 2k miles
before the warranty runs out, so it better breaks during that time
Old 10-27-2000, 08:55 AM
Wayne

No mines does not knock its Tic.I sure its the valves that I hear

Old 10-27-2000, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: valves knocking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shingles
[I]Ticking and knocking are different things. If it's ticking it could be the valves. If you are getting engine knock or pining, then it's NOT a good thing. Knocking is the engine detonating. If you are getting detonation, you need to try and fix that. cause you engine will go.

BTW knocking sounds like metallic tapping. Some say like marbles in a tin can?

My car sounds something like a diesel engine. Not as laud but it's the only thing i can compare it to. IS that knocking or ticking ?
Old 10-27-2000, 10:56 AM
OG :)

Re: The Maxima has Hydralic lifters >>>>>

vqs are not hydraulic type. only vg & ves. chilton manual show this under the general maintenance section.
Old 10-27-2000, 10:58 AM

ps

can be adjusted.
Old 10-27-2000, 11:09 AM
Wayne

That what I tought I did see it in the Haynes manual

Old 10-27-2000, 11:16 AM

oops, look like such a pita though!
Originally posted by Bryan91SE
I recall a conversation on the mailing list awhile back affirming that the VQ's valves do have to be adjusted after sometime, as they are not hydraulic. Email Andi Baritchi for more info on that.