4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

raced a type r

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 11:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just raced a type r and got smoked but
the thing is it had a turbo i heard it

so do u think a sc maxima can take a turbo type r?
just wondering
Old 08-31-2001, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by krmaxima
just raced a type r and got smoked but
the thing is it had a turbo i heard it

so do u think a sc maxima can take a turbo type r?
just wondering
Well, I am SCed and I beat a 3000GT VR-4 the other night so I would say a type R should be pretty easy to beat. Take Care
Old 08-31-2001, 04:50 AM

Don't underestimate the Type R, especially if it's turbocharged. IMO, I think a turboed Type R should take a SC Maxima. You have to remember the Type R is a lot lighter than the Maxima. The biggest problem with the VR4 is the weight, my friend has one and I can tell you when you sit in there, you can feel how heavy it is. I think a turboed Type R can achieve low 13s to high 12s.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Don't underestimate the Type R, especially if it's turbocharged. IMO, I think a turboed Type R should take a SC Maxima. You have to remember the Type R is a lot lighter than the Maxima. The biggest problem with the VR4 is the weight, my friend has one and I can tell you when you sit in there, you can feel how heavy it is. I think a turboed Type R can achieve low 13s to high 12s.
I have to agree with you on this one... Turn up the boost and watch the Maxima go bye bye in the rear view mirror.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:14 AM

At aprox. 5500 feet SB97MAX ran a 13.8 with his SC. Do you think that is fast enouth? If not, he might still have his 55 shot of NO2 which made him run a 12.0 up here. Type R - bye bye, have a mouth full of maxima exhaust.

Kirk
Old 08-31-2001, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

At aprox. 5500 feet SB97MAX ran a 13.8 with his SC. Do you think that is fast enouth? If not, he might still have his 55 shot of NO2 which made him run a 12.0 up here. Type R - bye bye, have a mouth full of maxima exhaust.

Kirk
Thats right Kirk and you will be doing the same thing as soon as we install your SC. I dont know why these people are so pro type R but I can tell you the VR-4 is no slow car. I dont care what you guys say. Twin Turbo V6 can never be a slow car. oh well you guys have never felt the power of a SCed max so you wouldnt know. Hey Kirk I still have my ZEX setup as well, I could run a 75 shot at the flip of a switch to complement the SC. Take Care
Old 08-31-2001, 09:36 AM

Kirk
Hey Kirk...You and SBMAX97 heard from Derrick yet and
our SC's ????????
Still waiting for mine...over 4 weeks and no word !!
Old 08-31-2001, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Tmeyers

Hey Kirk...You and SBMAX97 heard from Derrick yet and
our SC's ????????
Still waiting for mine...over 4 weeks and no word !!
Derrick is on vacation. Yes, it has been 4 weeks, but you havent paid yet and usually when you order something it takes longer than that to come in and he had to order them from around the country, thus it is taking a little. Be patient, you will be greatly rewarded.

Kirk
Old 08-31-2001, 10:17 AM

Derrick is on vacation. Yes, it has been 4 weeks, but you havent paid yet and usually when you order something it takes longer than that to come in and he had to order them from around the country, thus it is taking a little. Be patient, you will be greatly rewarded.

Kirk
His e-mail said he would get then in a week .......Did
anyone pay for theirs yet ????...
Maybe we will get ours when he returns from vacation..
thanks for the reply ....hope you get yours installed
soon and will be able to give us a ride to show us
what it feels like first hand.
Old 08-31-2001, 11:41 AM

Who said a VR4 was a slow car? I don't know where you get that idea. I just said the VR4 was heavy, nothing about it being slow. If you read carefully, you'll notice that I said my friend has a VR4, so don't you think I know how fast it is?

As far as never been in a supercharged Maxima before? Well, I will soon enough. If you didn't know, I have a supercharger.

Btw, is the VR4 stock?

As far as the Type R, have you guys race one yet? With your supercharger, of course, you can beat it. Stock wise, no way a Maxima can compete with a Type R. I don't know about the turboed Type R vs. S/C(no nitrous)Maxima matchup, I haven't heard about a race between the two car with that setup. As far as Pro Type R? I just respect it, I don't think it's all mighty. The only car I truely "drool" over is a SupraTT.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:38 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

a Type R with a good driver is doing 14's, now add a turbo, and all the bolt ons that the S/C max has and that type R is going to walk you...........
Old 08-31-2001, 02:54 PM

Cumalot, chill man I wasnt bashin you or anything about the VR-4. To everyone else that says a type r will smoke me I know a guy in denver that comes to my buddies shop a lot that has an integra type r with a turbo kit. he is down every couple of weeks and the next time i see him ill race him. Ill race him once with the SC and then ill spray a 75 shot of ZEX which i also have installed and we will see who wins. I never said the type R was slow I just said I think I can beat it. ILl post results as soon as I race him. ill ask my buddy when he will be in town. Take Care
Old 08-31-2001, 03:02 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by SB97MAX
Cumalot, chill man I wasnt bashin you or anything about the VR-4. To everyone else that says a type r will smoke me I know a guy in denver that comes to my buddies shop a lot that has an integra type r with a turbo kit. he is down every couple of weeks and the next time i see him ill race him. Ill race him once with the SC and then ill spray a 75 shot of ZEX which i also have installed and we will see who wins. I never said the type R was slow I just said I think I can beat it. ILl post results as soon as I race him. ill ask my buddy when he will be in town. Take Care
make sure that turbo type R has a 75 shot too.........
Old 08-31-2001, 03:07 PM
XtremeHKS

Sorry to say Type Rs are wayyyy overrated ok anyone in here who actually thinks a Type R with a Turbo vs a Maxima with a SC is nuts. A type R can run like 6 psi max before detonating they only gain 40-50 hp with Turbo and huge Front mount so no way a type r could beat a SC Max unless the guy can't drive. plus the Type R has no torque hardly...

Old 08-31-2001, 03:28 PM

A co-worker of mine with an SI just got his Revhard turbo installed.. It's a stage 2 running about 9 PSI.. Its a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo. That thing is fast. Sure it doesn't have the ungodly amount of torque that mustangs/vipers have but once the turbo spools up, that SI is gone like the wind.
Old 08-31-2001, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by maxse91

make sure that turbo type R has a 75 shot too.........
Thats why I said I would run him once WITHOUT it and once WITH it. Take Care
Old 08-31-2001, 04:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh yeah... well, my uncle's friend, know's this guy who's neighbor's, daughter's, boyfriend's, dad's boss smokes crack in his type R...

You guys kill me...
Old 08-31-2001, 05:16 PM

SB97MAX, you have a 5spd or auto? Also, are you running on the stock supercharger pulley?

I might also add a nitrous kit in the future along with my supercharger. One thing at a time, the supercharger is good enough for now.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:32 PM

dont jump the gun here: the type r has a 11.0/:1 CR and amount of boost you can run is limited. the jackson kit for them only gets about 30hp over stock. so unless he has and intercooler and really good engine managment system and SCed max does have a chance.

my 2 cents.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:51 PM

Lets talk some physics

Ok, so I didn't go to MIT or CALtech. But it doesn't take a genius to know that easiest way to make something go from a-b a heck of a lot faster is to have a lower drag coefficient(which the Acura does). That whole wedge shape of a car is done on purpose. Then lets not even get into weight differences... Someone mentioned torque? the stock type R has nearly the same torque and Hp that the Max does in a car that weighs 2/3 of the weight and is shaped roughly like a bullet. You see where I'm going with this. NOS/SC Max is going to be hella fast, but an equally equipt R is going to go faster. But the largest variable to racing is the driver, so go for it and let us know how it goes...
Old 08-31-2001, 07:29 PM

Re: Lets talk some physics

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Ok, so I didn't go to MIT or CALtech. But it doesn't take a genius to know that easiest way to make something go from a-b a heck of a lot faster is to have a lower drag coefficient(which the Acura does). That whole wedge shape of a car is done on purpose. Then lets not even get into weight differences... Someone mentioned torque? the stock type R has nearly the same torque and Hp that the Max does in a car that weighs 2/3 of the weight and is shaped roughly like a bullet. You see where I'm going with this. NOS/SC Max is going to be hella fast, but an equally equipt R is going to go faster. But the largest variable to racing is the driver, so go for it and let us know how it goes...
The Type R's torque is know where near the Maxima's....
not even close !!!!!!
Type R Specs
195HP@8000 rpm's
130 lbs/ft @7500 rpm's
Compression Ratio 10.6:1

Also just to set the record straight...the Type R is not
2/3's the weight of a Maxima...that would make the Type R
weighting in at 2000 lbs...if you assume a 4th gen 5 sp
weights in at 3015 lbs....The Type R weight I believe is
around 2580 lbs..
Old 08-31-2001, 07:38 PM

Re: Re: Lets talk some physics

Originally posted by Tmeyers

The Type R's torque is know where near the Maxima's....
not even close !!!!!!
Type R Specs
195HP@8000 rpm's
130 lbs/ft @7500 rpm's
Compression Ratio 10.6:1

Also just to set the record straight...the Type R is not
2/3's the weight of a Maxima...that would make the Type R
weighting in at 2000 lbs...if you assume a 4th gen 5 sp
weights in at 3015 lbs....The Type R weight I believe is
around 2580 lbs..
then allow me to retract my statement that the type R weighs slightly more than I had spoken of it. And it has more power than I wrote as well. There is a great article in last months Compact sports car magazine (the one with the s 2000's on the cover) about aerodynamics and how it effects the performance of your car. You'll be suprised at how much power it takes to push the flat nose of our cars.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:10 PM

SB97MAX, you have a 5spd or auto? Also, are you running on the stock supercharger pulley?

ditto
Old 08-31-2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

ditto
Yep..I read it..great article....Read the new SCC ?
5 wicked WRX's on the cover...man those little things
are easy to mod and the aftermarket parts available this soon is simply amazing.....

Still love my Maxima though !!!!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 09:10 PM

Haha, this is getting pretty funny. Everyone is attacking me because I said I could beat a type r. I didnt know we had so many honda/acura backers in here. Anyway, I never said that with all elements even I would beat the type r all I said is that with what I have right now I will beat the type r. No one said if the acura has the exact same mods as the Maxima than who would win, they just said do you think a SCed max will beat it. Well im SCed and just happen to have ZEX also. All im saying is that I can beat it the way I am right now, so everyone that is attacking me should look at this and just back off because this is getting pretty dumb. Sorry if im proud of my max and how fast it is. SxR7, your car is sweet man!! Ive watched some of your videos, and to answer your question yes I am currently running the stock SC pulley but will be upgrading soon. Take Care
Old 09-01-2001, 12:50 AM

SB97MAX

Did you really run a 12.0 flat with the S/C and ONLY a 75 shot of NOS at Colorado elevation with an automatic?? If you did, that is unbelievable!! That is the equivelant to running in the low 11's/high 10's at sea level!! Do you have the timeslips to prove it? I would be curious to see your 60' times and you trap speed.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:30 AM

Re: SB97MAX

Originally posted by Lotsamula
Did you really run a 12.0 flat with the S/C and ONLY a 75 shot of NOS at Colorado elevation with an automatic?? If you did, that is unbelievable!! That is the equivelant to running in the low 11's/high 10's at sea level!! Do you have the timeslips to prove it? I would be curious to see your 60' times and you trap speed.
No I didnt run a 12 flat, I ran a 13.1 with the ZEX and the SC. Who said I ran a 12 flat? Take Care
Old 09-01-2001, 02:08 AM

1/3There2/3ToGo stated in the fifth message down in this post "At aprox. 5500 feet SB97MAX ran a 13.8 with his SC. Do you think that is fast enouth? If not, he might still have his 55 shot of NO2 which made him run a 12.0 up here". You then replied to this without discrediting this statement.

Either way, 13.1 is awesome at this altitude WITH and auto. I would love it if you could scan in your timeslips.
Old 09-01-2001, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Lotsamula
1/3There2/3ToGo stated in the fifth message down in this post "At aprox. 5500 feet SB97MAX ran a 13.8 with his SC. Do you think that is fast enouth? If not, he might still have his 55 shot of NO2 which made him run a 12.0 up here". You then replied to this without discrediting this statement.

Either way, 13.1 is awesome at this altitude WITH and auto. I would love it if you could scan in your timeslips.
Ill see what I can do. Take Care
Old 09-01-2001, 04:04 AM

Negative on all that guys.

Type-R's don't turbo well. They are way too high compression to begin. They can max boost like 4PSI. You can build a faster N/a Type-R, and an SC Maxima would take it in a straight line but that's the only place it would take it.

The type-r only weighs about 400 lbs less than a 5spd Maxima.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:14 PM

i think a sced maxima could beat the type r.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:17 AM

Oops...

No I didnt run a 12 flat, I ran a 13.1 with the ZEX and the SC. Who said I ran a 12 flat? Take Care
Uhhh....yeah....sorry bout that. I could have sworn that you told me you ran a 12.0. Im sorry guys, error on my part. If you ran a 13.1 with the NO2, what did you run without it?(with just the SC?) I thought you told me you ran a 13.8 with just the SC. Is that correct or am I wrong again? Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Kirk
Old 09-02-2001, 05:21 AM

It's not that I have a lot of back for the type R. I'm trying to shed some reality to the situation. I don't know where I got the idea that you were racing an equally equipt R as your max. I do think that a S/C max will probably beat most stock rides.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:49 AM

Okay, Okay. How about a supercharged Type-R Vs. Supercharged Maxima? Well, the closest comparison I have is this: There is a guy on the H-A board that has a 93' Civic CX hatchback with a Type-R motor, tranny and JRSC and he runs like mid 13's. So I think the Teg would me a tad bit heavier (The CX is a the lightest civic chassis)therefore running high 13's. About equal right? Hell, a Turboed R could be pushing 300HP depending on the kit he buys. But so many factors apply it not really realistic. How many R owners are gonna boost but not build up to run high psi? Not any that I know. As for the VR-4, well I'd like you to put $3,000.00 into it, then race it against the Max, and then tell me how heavy it is. Also, I thin k the Maxima's supercharged numbers are traction limited correct? Throw some slicks into the picture and it's a whole different ball game.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:34 AM

supercharged type -r

i read that the supercharger for this vehicle only gave it a gain of 4 hp due to its high compression..
Old 09-02-2001, 04:01 PM

Re: supercharged type -r

Originally posted by JibaroMax
i read that the supercharger for this vehicle only gave it a gain of 4 hp due to its high compression..
Errrr that would suck to buy then... he he he
Old 09-03-2001, 07:39 AM

The type R does have high compression.
The thing is if you want to run higher boost you must lower compression, this means a decrease in horse power. however with decreasing compression comes higer boost availability allowing for an overall increase. With my experience I would say that running 14psi on a T03 with 9:1 compression and all the bolt-ons, you'd be looking at around 210hp+ at the wheels. which makes it a quick car considering its weight.
I once raced a Civic Type-R, it had exhaust atleast, I have a 95 auto max with 2.5" catback, with magna flow muffler, and intake, i raced him from 30mph to 120mph he was ahead untill 65mph and then stayed one car infront and we were neck and neck to 120mph. those cars are fast. This is why i must invest in a Skyline at the end of the year
I live in Australia and they cost approx $13000 US here for an R33 GTS-T (95 model)
Old 09-05-2001, 06:40 AM

Oh, Australia. I was gonna say, where did you see a Type-R. Man I wish I lived in Australia. WRX's, STI's, Evo's, and such. Oh and I don't know where you read that B.S. about the Type-R only gaining 4HP. That is physically impossible. A lawn mower would gain 4 HP if you forced fed air into it.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:45 AM

Re: Lets talk some physics

Originally posted by SLC I30t
I'd bet cash money that the coefficient of drag has a negligible effect in the 1/4 mile, and super-duper minimal effect in a WOT race.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:29 AM

I think that it will have a huge impact on the your car. That article described how it would take (for example) a car 80 hp to make a car go from 0-60, but would take 150 hp to make it go from 60-100. Now those numbers are made up, I'll quote the example directly from the article. Look at bike racers (tour de france). They are only going 30-45mph and aerodynamics has a huge impact. The moral of the article is that if you can make your reduce your drag, you will go faster quicker than if you just tac on a few more HP.

Quick Reply: raced a type r