4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Apex WS, O2 Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:21 AM

Last night I installed the Apex WS cat-back system. So far I am extremely pleased with the sound, look, fit and finish, but my question is the rear 02 sensor. I have gutted out my cat (I know, I know it's illegal) but, what I did was just let the sensor hang outside the pipe(It's stable, but wondering if I could just cut the wire). Other than emmisions being bad, is there any loss in power or damage to the car if I don't re-install the sensor, kind of late now, but I will fix the problem if it's going to be trouble down the road. Oh and I would like to add how nice it is to have fellow Max owners to converse with, this is a great forum.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:57 PM

You can weld in a bung hole for the O2 sensor. Any exhaust shop can do this for around $40
Old 08-08-2001, 06:54 PM

If you have already gutted out your cat, don't worry about that 02 sensor. It will not cause any problem or damage anything. It is only there to detect how effective the cat is. I wouldn't cut the wires because later on you might need it.

Originally posted by Iron Lung
Last night I installed the Apex WS cat-back system. So far I am extremely pleased with the sound, look, fit and finish, but my question is the rear 02 sensor. I have gutted out my cat (I know, I know it's illegal) but, what I did was just let the sensor hang outside the pipe(It's stable, but wondering if I could just cut the wire). Other than emmisions being bad, is there any loss in power or damage to the car if I don't re-install the sensor, kind of late now, but I will fix the problem if it's going to be trouble down the road. Oh and I would like to add how nice it is to have fellow Max owners to converse with, this is a great forum.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm in your situation (except for gutting the cat) and I have been running fine without the O2 for 4 or more months
Old 08-09-2001, 10:53 AM

I was wondering if you had any fitment problems installing the Apex Cat Back exhaust. I ordered one a while back but cancelled my order after the i was told they fit perfectly on the 95-96 but there was a problem with 97-99. Maybe it was that the O2 sensor couldn't be installed.
Originally posted by Iron Lung
Old 08-09-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by DOWN LOW
I was wondering if you had any fitment problems installing the Apex Cat Back exhaust. I ordered one a while back but cancelled my order after the i was told they fit perfectly on the 95-96 but there was a problem with 97-99. Maybe it was that the O2 sensor couldn't be installed.
The problem is the tip of the muffler doesn't come out past the bumper, it sticks in about 1". And there is no hole for the o2 sensor. But I still like the way the muffer looks under there.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:26 AM

I got my exhaust and y-pipe in and I am having them installed tomorrow morning on my '95. I checked the manual and the rear o2 sensor looks like it is attached to/in the cat, or is it in the mid/b pipe. I know that the sensor is not really used, so is it ok or just tie off? What about it getting wet? If I can avoid the extra $40 for the bung, the I am all for it.

Lovejoy
Old 08-10-2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Lovejoy
I got my exhaust and y-pipe in and I am having them installed tomorrow morning on my '95. I checked the manual and the rear o2 sensor looks like it is attached to/in the cat, or is it in the mid/b pipe. I know that the sensor is not really used, so is it ok or just tie off? What about it getting wet? If I can avoid the extra $40 for the bung, the I am all for it.

Lovejoy
It should be on the cat.