4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Torque wrench from harbor frieght - thanks Dan

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 02:43 PM

Hello,

I printed out the Sale price ($9.99) for the 1/2" 10-150 lb-ft torque wrench (mfd by Pittsburgh - taiwan make) ad from "harborfrieght.com", and went to a local harborfrieght store in the Bay area.

The first wrench I got had an almost imperceptible click - so decided to return it to the store, and swap it for one that 'clicked' louder.

I tested the second one over 10 lb-ft to 50 lb-ft (using a fairly crude test rig involving a one foot lever and a spring balance that has 50 lb max reading)

I do think that it is fairly accurate (my readings were within 5% - but my set up was fairly crude) - and is a real bargain for the price.

I wish to thank Daniel Martin - cos it was his post that led me to the harborfreight website in the first place.

A side note - I went on Ebay to check out prices on this torque wrench - and find a whole lot of people bidding as much as 35 bucks (plus shipping) on ebay for the very same Pittsburgh Torque wrench. Wow - I almost feel tempted to become a seller on ebay, but shameless commerce is not my forte - so I will let this pass.

Manish
Old 08-04-2001, 04:37 PM

I purchased this torque wrench (actually, the longer one) on DBM's recommendation about nine months ago. Great purchase...it isn't quite Craftsman quality, but for under $20, quite the bargain.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by mbhang
Hello,

I printed out the Sale price ($9.99) for the 1/2" 10-150 lb-ft torque wrench (mfd by Pittsburgh - taiwan make) ad from "harborfrieght.com", and went to a local harborfrieght store in the Bay area.

The first wrench I got had an almost imperceptible click - so decided to return it to the store, and swap it for one that 'clicked' louder.

I tested the second one over 10 lb-ft to 50 lb-ft (using a fairly crude test rig involving a one foot lever and a spring balance that has 50 lb max reading)

I do think that it is fairly accurate (my readings were within 5% - but my set up was fairly crude) - and is a real bargain for the price.

I wish to thank Daniel Martin - cos it was his post that led me to the harborfreight website in the first place.

A side note - I went on Ebay to check out prices on this torque wrench - and find a whole lot of people bidding as much as 35 bucks (plus shipping) on ebay for the very same Pittsburgh Torque wrench. Wow - I almost feel tempted to become a seller on ebay, but shameless commerce is not my forte - so I will let this pass.

Manish
Glad you like that wrench. If more owners had a torque wrench, and used it, we would read fewer posts complaining of warped brake rotors.

Thank you for taking the initiative to check your torque wrench for accuracy. Your information gives reassurance to all of us who use that tool. The Asian imports can't equal Snap-on quality but they are a real good value for the typical home mechanic.