4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help.!!Wont go into programming mode.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:04 AM

Help.!!Wont go into programming mode.

Ok,so im finally a little interested in keyless entry and decided to try get and get a key fob from someone in the forum.I first decided to follow the programming instructions to make sure everything works before buying the fob and what do you know................my hazards dont flash at all, and i am doing this correctly.When my car is off and doors locked, the factory alarm light blinks,when driving doesnt blink, so this is a sort of good sign,but still afraid of buying the fob and end up in deep s**t.Anyone experienced or know what this is all about.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 AM

I just did the samething, my hazards didn't flash either, but they started flashing later, try it again,
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steve68
I just did the samething, my hazards didn't flash either, but they started flashing later, try it again,
beleive me, i tried maybe 20 times myself before seeking help from you guys..........its so funny how easy the steps are yet it doesnt work.Tried them(not the exact codes) on my sister-in-laws altima, works with a charm.........for my car,doesnt work, so im now seeking even more help.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:59 AM

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/faq.php?cat_id=1

Close all doors, and lock

Insert key into ignition 6 times in 10 seconds(*hazards will flash twice)

Replace key into ignition and turn to ACC position

Press lock button on new remote once, hazards will flash

Remove key, unlock door
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/faq.php?cat_id=1

Close all doors, and lock

Insert key into ignition 6 times in 10 seconds(*hazards will flash twice)

Replace key into ignition and turn to ACC position

Press lock button on new remote once, hazards will flash

Remove key, unlock door
Same instructions from four different places,didnt work on my 4th....so i now dont know what next to think,tried it so many times,that i now know the steps in my damnn head.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 AM

well if keys dont work, send them to me for an easy payment of $__.95
Old 07-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by vuiskool
well if keys dont work, send them to me for an easy payment of $__.95

how is that gonna help me now.............?Couldnt it be some fuse or something like that blown or.........i dont even know, im just getting tired of trying over the same codes over n over......
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 PM

Any help will be appreciated people,i just dont wanna go to the stealership and get charged an arm,a leg and maybe a family member.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Fuhget About It.....

I had to look for this from my prev posts.....................Try consulting the service manual for troubleshooting help. If you dont have one heres a link to a site http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=16 just register there (if your not already) and look up EL-256 and look for your symptoms. Hope this helps.

Keep that link handy.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by maximafrenzy
I had to look for this from my prev posts.....................Try consulting the service manual for troubleshooting help. If you dont have one heres a link to a site http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=16 just register there (if your not already) and look up EL-256 and look for your symptoms. Hope this helps.

Keep that link handy.
thanx alot,i have looked through these already and for some reason i think you need to have a sort of computer to be checking those things, i think ofcoarse dealership has it and this is exactly what they would follow also.As for the wiring diagram...........man that looks lke a messs.Im still looking though, however if anyone knows the problem off there back,just let me know.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Fuhget About It.....

Check the easy things first, the wires for your ext. antenna, the int. antenna, fuses. Its gonne be somethin' small and stupid. Take it to a alarm shop some of those guys could do basic trouble shooting 4u its down their alley, and cheaper than the dealer(depending).
Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 AM

under ur hood, there should be a box for the keyless entry system. if you do some searching on the org, you should see where it is. If you dont have the safety and comfort package, then get ready to sell ur remote!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:32 AM

under ur hood, there should be a box for the keyless entry system. if you do some searching on the org, you should see where it is. If you dont have the safety and comfort package, then get ready to sell ur remote!
The thing is,i dont have a remote.i was getting ready to purchase one and then finally have keyless entry,but decided to first see if this b***h is working.About that box your talkng about, i will go ahead and look for it..............must agree i dont know what i would be looking for even if i found it,but im hoping someone will give me some help as to directly what it is and i get it working.What is the safety comfort package?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Security and Convenience Package (S&C) -
* 8-way power driver's seat
* Remote keyless entry and vehicle security system
* Integrated HomeLink Transmitter (SE only)
* Power trunk release
* Illuminated visor vanity mirrors
* Variable intermittent wipers
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 PM

* Power trunk release
ok,well will take a look,dont know what im looking for sitll, im hoping someone will just come out and tell me sumin like"its just a fuse",i would really love keyless.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Fuhget About It.....

* Power trunk release
Thats not quite true, I think its included in all 96 and up, my friend has a 99 gxe no power nothin but has keyless. Keyless does not mean security (unless it has the security light on the dash is how you can tell). Did you clear the codes from the keyfob?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Thats not quite true, I think its included in all 96 and up, my friend has a 99 gxe no power nothin but has keyless. Keyless does not mean security (unless it has the security light on the dash is how you can tell). Did you clear the codes from the keyfob?
i dont have a keyfob,however i want one, but need to know that my system is working first before buying one.tried the key in 6 times programming thing,lights didnt flash,so im now afraid of buying the fob and wont be able to use it.yes i do have security thing to the left of my steering wheel.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Fuhget About It.....

No keyfob?? Isnt there a step where you have to press the button on the keyfob for the system to recognize it?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:19 PM

No keyfob?? Isnt there a step where you have to press the button on the keyfob for the system to recognize it?
yeah thats step is there,but you also have to see the hazards flash and so before pressing any keyfob, and thats why i did that to test first BEFORE buying a keyfob.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:51 PM

Do you have a factory nissan key?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Do you have a factory nissan key?
yeah,got a key made by them about a month and a half ago,they even asked for the key code thing as well.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Ok,so im finally a little interested in keyless entry and decided to try get and get a key fob from someone in the forum.I first decided to follow the programming instructions to make sure everything works before buying the fob and what do you know................my hazards dont flash at all, and i am doing this correctly.When my car is off and doors locked, the factory alarm light blinks,when driving doesnt blink, so this is a sort of good sign,but still afraid of buying the fob and end up in deep s**t.Anyone experienced or know what this is all about.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Bring it to the Markham Park meet, and Ill do it for you.. kthx
Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM

theres a meet a markham park? when was this!?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM

right in broward here huh,..........
Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Instead of starting a new thread I figure I would just tack on here. I have tried this in every way possible and actually got the lights to flash on one cycle but it has never happened again. I can put the key in very slowly or very quickly a million times but the lights won't flash anymore. I have tried with the doors locked, unlocked, i made sure every door was shut tight and nothing. I even tried with the seat belt on because some site mentioned that.

Weird thing is I turned the key to acc and hit the button and it flashed once but never worked. it also worked once when in on position, tapped lock on the button and hazards flashed twice.

I don't think my key is stock nissan but I can hear a noticable click when I put it in like it is activating a switch. My car is a 95 SE. Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Maybe you already have looked but is there a relay in the keyless slot in the relay box on the passenger side of engine bay. If it's not there nothing will happen.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
Maybe you already have looked but is there a relay in the keyless slot in the relay box on the passenger side of engine bay. If it's not there nothing will happen.
Yep, its there.

Weird thing is that it worked once. And now, almost without fail, I can turn it to acc, hit a button on the remote, and it will flash twice, but it wont work afterwards.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Bump,

Any other ideas? Could it be the key? Opening myself up for jokes here but could the key not be deep enough to hit the back of the hole to trigger the switch?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Self Solved bump.

The problem was the switch on the side of the car that told the car the door was shut was broken. I simply swapped it with the one from the passenger side. One screw and one plug a piece. After that, procedure went like butter. For future reference, the key must be turned to ON not Acc. Everything works now!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM

NICE

Good to know, I may be the next owner of a 97 GLE and I think it had a fob but it doesn't work. subscribing for info.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Yeah, i got an aftermarket one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140556168647...84.m1497.l2649

Right at $17 shipped. Works like a charm. I think it would be a good idea to add the note about checking the door ajar sensor in the sticky because I know this has come up before, took me 2 days of searching and a thread from 2002 for me to find out about it.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

found a solution

Heres what worked for me. I keep my car in vallet mode cuz the alarm likes to go off all the time, so I started with vallet mode on (alarm disabled).

Get in the car and shut the door. Reactivate the alarm with the doors unlocked. Make sure the dash led blinks. Remove the key amd put it back in in the on position. Now lock the door with the driver switch. If the key is on when the doors are locked the alarm will not activate, the led will be off.

Now you can start inserting the key repeatedly and do evrrything it says in the instructions. I also had to press the button on the new keyfob after 6 inserts but before having the key on, them again after puttin the key in the on position.

Thats what worked for me. It may be able to be simplified but I dont know. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 PM

Make sure your trunk sensor is plugged in and working correctly along with the chime for your key. I believe without it you'll have issues. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...in-help-5.html
Old 05-28-2021, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

worked. lube lock, key to ON not ACC

Originally Posted by vfasburg
Heres what worked for me. I keep my car in vallet mode cuz the alarm likes to go off all the time, so I started with vallet mode on (alarm disabled).

Get in the car and shut the door. Reactivate the alarm with the doors unlocked. Make sure the dash led blinks. Remove the key amd put it back in in the on position. Now lock the door with the driver switch. If the key is on when the doors are locked the alarm will not activate, the led will be off.

Now you can start inserting the key repeatedly and do evrrything it says in the instructions. I also had to press the button on the new keyfob after 6 inserts but before having the key on, them again after puttin the key in the on position.

Thats what worked for me. It may be able to be simplified but I dont know. Good luck!
That worked. I lubed The lock with WD-40. then it finally did the hazard blink. I think the mechanism In the lock was stiff/sticking. So, it wasn't registering The 6 tries. Then after the hazard blink i tried ACC. No luck. I immediately moved the key to on. Then pushing the button on the remote did get the hazards to double blink. Now the remote works. Hope this helps somebody else. :-)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ooops, LOL

I had forgotten that a while back I had removed the switch/button on the driver's door frame that tells the car the door is open and to turn on the dome lights.
Therefor, my remote wouldn't enter programming mode because the door wouldn't register as "closed/locked."

I put the door frame switch/button back on (1 screw and a plug in) and programming performed as per the instructions.