4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension clicking noise question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Suspension clicking noise question.

I think that this has been mentioned before, but I can't find it in a previous thread. Sorry if it's a repost.

I have a clicking noise when I turn the wheel left and right. It started out only doing it occasionally, but it is slowly happening more. I can hear it mostly from inside the car. I am fairly certain that it's coming from the driver's side. I have the Tokico Illuminas with matching Tokico springs. The strut mounts on top where replaced when the struts/springs were installed. I took it to a couple of shops (including the dealer) and they said there wasn't anything that they could do since in looked fine. The dealer suggested that I install OEM struts/springs if I wanted it fixed "correctly". I told him that there's no way that was going to happen.

What, if anything, can I do to fix this?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM

clicking noise while turning... sounds like a really bad axle to me.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:27 AM

get your axles looked at prob a bad cv boot.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If by "I have a clicking noise when I turn the wheel left and right" you mean that the noise happens while you crank the steering wheel left and right (regardless of whether you are moving or not), then this is more likely to be a bad strut bearing. Bad CV joints should only click when the vehicle is moving through a turn. Even if the strut bearings were replaced when the new struts were installed, I would still suspect a bad strut bearing. I have had a new aftermarket strut bearing fail after less than 2 months of use. You may be able to confirm the problem by kneeling down outside the vehicle beside the wheel well and watching the spring while a friend cranks the steering wheel. If the strut bearing is bad, you may see and hear the spring kind of binding and releasing several times rapidly (corresponding with the noise) as the steering wheel is cranked. If you determine the bearing is bad, replace it with an OEM bearing from the dealership...they seem to be generally better quality than the aftermarket bearings.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by dblair
If by "I have a clicking noise when I turn the wheel left and right" you mean that the noise happens while you crank the steering wheel left and right (regardless of whether you are moving or not), then this is more likely to be a bad strut bearing. Bad CV joints should only click when the vehicle is moving through a turn. Even if the strut bearings were replaced when the new struts were installed, I would still suspect a bad strut bearing. I have had a new aftermarket strut bearing fail after less than 2 months of use. You may be able to confirm the problem by kneeling down outside the vehicle beside the wheel well and watching the spring while a friend cranks the steering wheel. If the strut bearing is bad, you may see and hear the spring kind of binding and releasing several times rapidly (corresponding with the noise) as the steering wheel is cranked. If you determine the bearing is bad, replace it with an OEM bearing from the dealership...they seem to be generally better quality than the aftermarket bearings.

That is exactly when it happens. I had asked the dealer to replace the strut mount and bearing with Nissan parts and their estimate was almost $300 including labor. I thought that was a bit high so I didn't have them do it. But you are saying that I don't need all of that, just the bearing replaced? If so that could save quite a bit in parts cost. Since I normally don't do the work myself, I could probably have another shop do it and save on labor costs.

In the quote from the dealer, they charge $35.28 for just the bearing. Is this a good price or is there somewhere else to get OEM for less?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM

or you could do it yourself
Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 PM

I got a case of the bad strut bearings too, which sucks cuz I just got back from getting my car aligned after replacing the cv axles. Anyone know if there's a way to get to the strut bearing without messing with the axle/brakes? Or is it something that doesn't affect performance. If so I can live with it.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's ok to ride on, but like anything else, if it's not right, you should prob fix it. All it takes is to replace the bearing. Not hard, just compress the spring, pull the top off, then put the new one it. There is no need to mess with the axle or brakes.
If you have aftermarket struts, check with the manufacture to see if they make an aftermarket bearing. KYB makes a whole mount that replaces the stock mount, which is something I need to do,
Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Pugsy
That is exactly when it happens. I had asked the dealer to replace the strut mount and bearing with Nissan parts and their estimate was almost $300 including labor. I thought that was a bit high so I didn't have them do it. But you are saying that I don't need all of that, just the bearing replaced? If so that could save quite a bit in parts cost. Since I normally don't do the work myself, I could probably have another shop do it and save on labor costs.

In the quote from the dealer, they charge $35.28 for just the bearing. Is this a good price or is there somewhere else to get OEM for less?
Ya, that specific noise is the bearing, not the mount. The $35.28 for the OEM bearing is about right. However, you will not save anything on labour by having them change the bearing alone, since there is no extra work involved in replacing the mount if you are already replacing the bearing. So, if they quoted you $300 for replacing the bearing and mount, then it'll still probably cost you $250 if they just do the bearing. If you can't do it yourself, do you know someone who can do it for you? Maybe whoever did the struts for you would replace the bearing under warranty?