4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tire rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 AM

Tire rotation question

All,

Should I rotate my tires or should I leave it to the shop? I have a torque wrench 10-200 lbs. I'm asking this question because the last time I had my tires installed, the dude at the shop broke one of my lug nut stud.

My tires are Yoko Avid TRZ. Are they directional or non-directional? In what way should I rotate (or have them rotated)? Much appreciated.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM

i would just say try a new shop. at least where i got my new tires they do free rotate and balance for the life of the tires and if they pulled some **** like that (which they did on my civic back in the day) i would just go to a new shop....

and i did when they did to the civic, havent had a problem yet.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM

Shops tend to over tighten the lugnuts. If you get a flat tire you may not be able to get the nuts off with a roadside tire iron.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 AM

I hope you got it fixed for free, anyways go to Discount Tire if available, they do it for free.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 AM

I once bought all season tires from Sears and they over tightened my lugs, it was a PITA removing them. If you have the time I would do it myself, that way you can eyeball your pads, rotors and brake lines, unless the shop offers free rotation for the life of the tires. Also, if the shop breaks your studs they should replace them at their expense.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Assuming you know how to properly change a tire, I vote for doing it yourself. Those places that say they do it for free always make you wait forever. You don't need a torque wrench to do this.

If your tires are radials, you should rotate them front to back, same side.

Another good reason to rotate your own tires is because it is very easy to clean your wheels while the tire is off the car, especially the back of the wheels (which probably haven't been cleaned in years). Makes you wheels look great (for awhile).
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Taxvictim
Assuming you know how to properly change a tire, I vote for doing it yourself. Those places that say they do it for free always make you wait forever. You don't need a torque wrench to do this.
ive been going to the same discount tire for a couple years and they always do rotations fast. they will jump you up in line because it takes 10 minutes. although they do that for me anyways, maybe its because i have been giving them lots of business? i do not know the answer to that.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 AM

Ever since they broke my lug stut, I've never gone back to them. They told me that it's "OK" to drive around in short distance without 1 lug nut ... And they told me to wait 1 day to repair my stud ...

Anyway, when I came back, the dude wanted to charge me $50 ... I was like ... wtf. So I talked to the manager and drove off without paying a dime.

Btw, the place was a Merchant's Tires. I believe they are affiliated with NTB
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I bought a new set of tires at Merchants, and bought into their whole "free rotation" scheme. Five thousand miles later, I made an appointment to have the tires rotated. Showed up on time, sat in their waiting room for almost an hour, and they said it would be "some time" before they could get to my car. I said, "That's why I made an appointment to have this done." They said they were busy.

Reminded me of that Seinfeld where Jerry reserves a rental car and they don't have one when he arrives. "Anyone can just take reservations. The whole trick to the reservation is to keep the car here."
Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by vnphantom
Ever since they broke my lug stut, I've never gone back to them. They told me that it's "OK" to drive around in short distance without 1 lug nut ... And they told me to wait 1 day to repair my stud ...

Anyway, when I came back, the dude wanted to charge me $50 ... I was like ... wtf. So I talked to the manager and drove off without paying a dime.

Btw, the place was a Merchant's Tires. I believe they are affiliated with NTB
discount tire my friend. thats all i gotta say. ive never had a problem with them before and when they broke the bolt they were more then happy to halt someone else's car and fix mine in 2 seconds.

never heard of the place you went to but i would have gone ape **** on them if they tried to charge me.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I bought a new set of tires at Merchants, and bought into their whole "free rotation" scheme. Five thousand miles later, I made an appointment to have the tires rotated. Showed up on time, sat in their waiting room for almost an hour, and they said it would be "some time" before they could get to my car. I said, "That's why I made an appointment to have this done." They said they were busy.

Reminded me of that Seinfeld where Jerry reserves a rental car and they don't have one when he arrives. "Anyone can just take reservations. The whole trick to the reservation is to keep the car here."
Same thing here. They tried to convince me to buy their advanced or upgraded package whatever blah blah, I don't really remember. But I resisted. It was like $100+ more.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
No more Maximas...

If your tires are radials, you should rotate them front to back, same side.
A torque wrench isn't necessary, no, but highly recommended. Otherwise you're just taking a SWAG at whether or not you'll either break a stud or have the wheel come off.

And that is the correct rotation pattern, if they're directional. If not, then cross the rears, bring fronts back. That's how most every FWD is rotated (and Nissan's recommended rotation pattern), cross the non drive wheels, move the drive wheels back.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Now here is a pretty good scenario:

On my car I bought it with 2 new front tires that do not match the rears. Front are some no name sport tires put on at the dealer and the rears are Good Year all seasons. The rear tires are shredded (unevenly worn). Do you rotate at all or no go?

Sorry if I am hijacking at all
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Now here is a pretty good scenario:

On my car I bought it with 2 new front tires that do not match the rears. Front are some no name sport tires put on at the dealer and the rears are Good Year all seasons. The rear tires are shredded (unevenly worn). Do you rotate at all or no go?

Sorry if I am hijacking at all
Unevenly worn by alignment or balance?

When rotating, until you get a good matching set or at least 4 tires that are in good condition, I'd just swap one side over to the other (assuming none are directional). LF-RF, RF-LF, and the same with the rears.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Unevenly worn by alignment or balance?

When rotating, until you get a good matching set or at least 4 tires that are in good condition, I'd just swap one side over to the other (assuming none are directional). LF-RF, RF-LF, and the same with the rears.
I bought the car with chopped rears....new fronts. Unmatching from front to rear. I think I may just leave them all on the car till there worn then get a good set of 4 matching tires. I was just wondering how you would rotate directional tires if the rears are no good (60% tread tho).