4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Addco rsb 4 97 Maxima....Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Addco rsb 4 97 Maxima....Help

Well, just got back from changing oil and filter. Trying Royal Purple this time at my son's request. I usually stick with Mobil 1. Have to see. Also changed the tranny gear oil....Amsoil as usual. Also rotated the tires, Hankook 106s...very happy with these in OEM size. I wanted to change the brake pads but just ran out of time. Problem is that I'm in the mood to "do" some things. Been thinking about getting an ADDCO rsb (I've already got a fsb). Looked in the group deals but couldn't find anything. Thought someone might have a link for one. Oh yeah, looking at getting some new headlights as mine are yellowing. Love the R45 style ones and their fit but the ugly beam pattern that people remark upon makes me hesitate. Thinking of finding some oem glass ones. Thanks in advance. Cheers
Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM

look here for mods: http://maxmods.dyndns.org/

Classifieds are a good place to go look for stuff.

Don't use royal purple! Awful for our car. Too thin and needs to be changed in short amount of time.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Fire in the hole!

Driving a Maxima with a RSB takes some getting used to. If you drive your car at the limit, you'll DEFINITELY notice it. On-ramps become more fluid, the car rotates a LOT better. But, this comes with the caveat of if you're not careful, the *** end will come around on you.

I run Royal Purple at all times. Even with 5000 mile intervals, 2-3 autocrosses thrown in there too, the oil looks like 2000 mile oil. It's good stuff, and I'm not sure if it's ACTUAL horsepower gains, but it's got a lot more fluidity to it.

Summit Racing has the RSB, it's usually backordered like a week, but they're quick to ship stuff.

Hope that helps!
--Evan
Old 05-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chefasaurus
Driving a Maxima with a RSB takes some getting used to. If you drive your car at the limit, you'll DEFINITELY notice it. On-ramps become more fluid, the car rotates a LOT better. But, this comes with the caveat of if you're not careful, the *** end will come around on you.

I run Royal Purple at all times. Even with 5000 mile intervals, 2-3 autocrosses thrown in there too, the oil looks like 2000 mile oil. It's good stuff, and I'm not sure if it's ACTUAL horsepower gains, but it's got a lot more fluidity to it.

Summit Racing has the RSB, it's usually backordered like a week, but they're quick to ship stuff.

Hope that helps!
--Evan
Glad to see some actual positive notes about Royal Purple. I've only read bad things on here about it. I stick to the Castrol GTX or Mobil 1 tho. I ran Royal Purple once and didn't like how the car ran so I strayed away.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Licensed to Spell

I took mine off for a 17 lb weight "reduction" (weight "restoration"?).
Old 05-21-2007, 02:33 AM

I got the Stillen RSB and I loved it. Simple to install. I'm pretty sure the Addco RSB install is slightly different but same concept.

As for the headlights, I noticed you're a 97 so it means you have plastic headlights. For the yellowing problem, I have the same issue but I got a bottle of Meguairs PlastX (I think that's what it's called). Well, it's a plastic polish and it got rid of my yellowing issue. Wish it would last a little longer but I reapply maybe every other month to keep them clear.

If you wanted the glass headlights, I believe they are from the 95-96 models.

And also, I think you ment to say R34 headlights.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:32 AM

I noticed a difference when I installed my RSB. The car did seem to rotate much better, it feels like all the tires were gripping instead of just the fronts. I haven't noticed lift-off oversteer yet, but keep in mind that a) my front tires are pretty worn out and b) I'm running aftermarket springs. Stiffer springs in the rear will mean you see less of a difference from the addition of a rear sway bar.

It will be interesting to see how the car handles with tread on all four corners.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by aznprid972
I got the Stillen RSB and I loved it. Simple to install. I'm pretty sure the Addco RSB install is slightly different but same concept.

As for the headlights, I noticed you're a 97 so it means you have plastic headlights. For the yellowing problem, I have the same issue but I got a bottle of Meguairs PlastX (I think that's what it's called). Well, it's a plastic polish and it got rid of my yellowing issue. Wish it would last a little longer but I reapply maybe every other month to keep them clear.

If you wanted the glass headlights, I believe they are from the 95-96 models.

And also, I think you ment to say R34 headlights.
Re Stillen RSB. I've seen it and it's pretty slick but expensive too. I'll think bout that one.

Re headlights. Yes, those darn plastic lens. I too have polished them but the yellowing keeps coming back. I have seen some oem size glass headlights on ebay that I'm considering that do indeed fit the 97. Yes, I meant the R34 headlights.....oooops.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Fire in the hole!

offtopic, but I saw you lived in Savannah. I worked for 3 months as a "estagiere" (unpaid apprentice) at The Pink House. I love that area... Hilton Head, SC is f'n AMAZING too.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM

I definitely recommend the Addco RSB. I've had it on for 5 years and love it. I got mine at Summit, and it took 1-2 weeks to get it in.
Here's my write up:

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=35

If you need any additional help pm me and we'll chat.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 PM

No one mentioned anything about the Progress RSB....no good?