4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

quick o2 sensor advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM

quick o2 sensor advice

ok so yesterday i went ahead and tried to install my new cattman catback...well everything was going smooth until i tried to take out the rear o2 sensor...it wouldnt budge, after a half can of PB blaster and using all the strength i can muster i gave up and outta frustration i just snipped the wires ....after the installation i was able to use a monkey wrench on it to take it off...put it into the new exhaust but of course the wires are cut......so now that my head is a little clearer (i think i inhaled too many fumes) im realizing that there should of been a way to just disconnect the damn thing...the wires go into a hole in the floor but i dont see how to access it, do i just pull it through the hole? do i need to remove the cover somehow?...im thinking of just splicing the wires back together, is this a good idea? (if that doesnt work ill just buy a new one)...but eitherway i need to know how to connect it back....thanks

ps: I will try to put an exhaust sound clip on here so you can all hear the hotness
Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 AM

I would just splice the wires back together, without removing the connector. I've never messed with the rear 02 sensor but with the front 2 02 sensors the wires are clipped to everything an almost impossible to get off. The connector is easy to find but getting the wires undone is the hard part. An O2 sensor wrench will be your friend if u want to remove them I got one for $10 at Auto zone. New 02 sensors are $70-100 and universal ones are 40-60 and you have to splice the wires anyways so try and save the 02 sensor you have. They make specialty connectors for high gauge wires like that you probably want to get some to make sure u have a good connection.

Get this kind of wrench it works better for the Maximas
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM

the connector goes into that hole thats covered by the rubber cap. it easily comes out and u unplug the wire harness.

the o2 is a different story, if its an old one then its definitely seized, be careful not to rip the thread as u take it out other wise u will not be able to put the new sensor in

ure gona have to jack the car up otherwise u wount have enough strength to make a full go at the sensor with the wrench
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 PM

thanks for the help guys....i just went under my car and spliced the wires back, reset the ecu and drove it a bit....cel hasnt come back on so hopefully it will stay off

yea when i did my y-pipe, the sensors weren't seized and it was easy to take em off w/ out the o2 senor socket wrench.......oh and sound clip is up!