4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Painting interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM

Painting interior

Hey guys, I decided to paint my interior black, so i picked up some plastic paint. I cleaned all the pieces and started spraying them with Kylon for plastic.

My problem is I just picked up a paper towel and wiped some dust off a piece i painted a few days ago, and the towel started to turn black. So I rubbed the piece (with very little force) to to see if it was just excess paint, and slowly the more I rubbed, the more the paint started to fade.

Whats the problem here?

I dont want people getting in the car and having their clothes turn black, what do I do?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:33 PM
FEELS GOOD TO BE GANGSTA

Maybe wrong type of paint. Did you prep your work prior to painting. I know when I did mine I did a light wet sanding, primed, then used Duplicolor. About 8-9 months now and no problems.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:25 PM

Well this should be common sense. You cleaned the pieces but did no other prep work. Worked with paint before? You didn't sand anything, you didn't prime anything, and you didn't clear coat anything. Most likely you didn't clean well enough and the paint isn't sticking too. Take some actual time and do this correctly. If you don't then it will look like complete **** and will fade quickly.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:37 PM

When I said cleaned, i meant sanded and cleaned and you dont need to prime plastic. Clear coat is the only thing I didnt do.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:58 PM

haha fine then don't prime it. I'm just telling you what the best way to do it is. You posted why did it fade and yet you won't listen to my answer. I did all the steps and it looks fantastic and hasn't chipped or faded in a year. Go about your own way if you'd rather.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Doggah Bite...

They also make paint that is specifically made to go over vinyl, regular spray paint is not what you want to use...
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 AM

What you should do is go get some adhesion promoter. It can be purchased at any autoparts store and can really help you out. Put 2 light coats of the promoter, followed by 2 coats of paint, and 1 coat of clearcoat. Hope this helps, GL!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
maxima985spd

on my old car i did not prime the plastic. I painted the pieces and clear coated them and that was it. I did sand them for like 2 seconds...

Old 04-01-2007, 08:27 AM

i did mine without primer. you dont need it if you spend a good amount of time sanding and prepping the surface. i dont know why the towel would turn black...i didnt use plastic paint though. i used wheel paint. and ive had no problems with it. maybe the sun had heated up your car and the paint couldnt take the heat or something? im not really too sure. if you end up doing it over, use some wheel paint.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM

I didn't use a primer either. I cleaned and sanded everything pretty good, but I used a vinyl paint. Well I used it on my door panels and dash. I used the Krylon plastic paint on the hard plastic pieces. I did use adhesive promotor though. I think that is what helped the most.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Well the pieces arent in the car yet, so I dont think its the sun. I did use duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint on some pieces, and they are doing the same thing.

I tried wiping them with a swiffer thingy, and some paint did come off, but again its like a dust. After doing that the paint wasnt coming off on my hands. Maybe dust settled on the pieces?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Go Get a Life!

The problem is he didn't use any primer and or adhesive after sanding which is a must.

That's the bottom line, there wasn't enough adhesion to the surface. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Now since you skipped a vital step. You must 1. remove all the paint you applied to your panels and start over the proper way. 2. You could try and add some layers of clear coat or some protective adder to the already painted surface (I wouldn't suggest).

What I do suggest is starting over again if you really want this to look perfect and professional to WOW the friends.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:08 AM

It isn't really the lack of prep he did, it is the cheap paint he used. If it was a problem with sticking then it would be the lack of prep i.e. sanding, cleaning, and even priming, but if it is just the fact that it is rubbing off, you used cheap paint and you didn't clear it. If it comes from Wal-mart, DON'T USE IT. I work in the paint industry and there is a difference. Go to a Sherwin-Williams Automotive or Keystone or do a search for a local SEM dealer near you.

Steps to painting any kind of plastic... well really anything
1. Clean surface with a good chemical cleaner, not just windex or soapy water. But not something extremely hot or cold to where it will crack or melt your plastic pieces.
2. Lightly sand it.
3. Another good cleaning with a chemical cleaner.
4. 2-3 light coats of a good bonding primer. (I use XIM, which I sale, it is the best bonding primer I have ever found, smells horrid but awesome stuff.
5. Lightly mist a cost of base. Followed by 4-5 light coats of the base color.
6. (Depending on sheen level your wanting) At least 2-3 light coats of clear, more depending how much sheen you want it to have.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by DukeDuke
It isn't really the lack of prep he did, it is the cheap paint he used. If it was a problem with sticking then it would be the lack of prep i.e. sanding, cleaning, and even priming, but if it is just the fact that it is rubbing off, you used cheap paint and you didn't clear it. If it comes from Wal-mart, DON'T USE IT. I work in the paint industry and there is a difference. Go to a Sherwin-Williams Automotive or Keystone or do a search for a local SEM dealer near you.

Steps to painting any kind of plastic... well really anything
1. Clean surface with a good chemical cleaner, not just windex or soapy water. But not something extremely hot or cold to where it will crack or melt your plastic pieces.
2. Lightly sand it.
3. Another good cleaning with a chemical cleaner.
4. 2-3 light coats of a good bonding primer. (I use XIM, which I sale, it is the best bonding primer I have ever found, smells horrid but awesome stuff.
5. Lightly mist a cost of base. Followed by 4-5 light coats of the base color.
6. (Depending on sheen level your wanting) At least 2-3 light coats of clear, more depending how much sheen you want it to have.

HE didn't use any primer or anything. He just cleaned, sanded and went straight to painting.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 AM

What I am saying though is his problem wasn't the primer so much. It was the paint choice he made. If it was chipping or flaking or just not adhering at all, then it would have been not priming it. But he isn't having that problem, his problem is that it is rubbing off and fading.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:43 PM

its called clear coat man. stop being lazy and put the two coats on. they make it for a reason
Old 04-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
HE didn't use any primer or anything. He just cleaned, sanded and went straight to painting.
so what your saying is mine is going to rub/chip off too? cause i only washed and sanded. no promoter, no primer. funny...its been almost a year and there are still no flaws.....
Old 04-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Ok no it's not the paint. If it's plastic paint that's what it designed for. I'm not sure why everyone wants to ignore primer. Do you have a problem with it or something? Put a f*cking coat of primer on, do the paint and put a coat of clear. Then see if you have the same problem. If you do then I'll admit I was wrong. Or you guys can keep arguing about nothing. Your call.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:16 PM
maxima985spd

Put a f*cking coat of primer on, do the paint and put a coat of clear. Then see if you have the same problem.
Your wrong. On my old Maxima I did mine without primer and it turned out perfect.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:19 PM

3 people so far have said they didnt use primer and it turned out great...soooo my guess is PRIMER IS NOT THE PROBLEM. im willing to bet that everyone that didnt use primer also didnt use plastic paint or vinyl paint either...i know i used wheel paint because it adheres better...but thats just me
Old 04-01-2007, 04:33 PM

I am agreeing with willard. Primer is recommended, but not necessary. If you clean it with a good chemical cleaner and brillo pad or sand paper you will be fine. His problem was the paint. Like I stated before, cheap paint and no clear coat. Even a quality paint won't need a clear coat. I have sprayed every piece in my car at one time or another and have NEVER had a problem. You use cheap products, you get cheap results. I can **** in a can throw some acetone, MEK and xylene in there and put "Perfect for any type of ABS, fiberglass, metal or wood surface." Again, you buy cheap, you get cheap results, perfect instance, duplicolor. Buy a quality product i.e. SEM, PPG, Sherwin-Williams, or Dupont. It isn't even that much more, I get a can of almost any color for under $8.00. And all my pieces have turned out flawless, just like I had them professionally painted. My suggestion to you would be, since it is already faded, sand it down and get your surfaced roughed up, put a primer over it, and then put your base coats and a couple clears.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 PM

haha ok I'm done with this thread than. You all say primer is not the answer yet tell him to redo it and use primer...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM

to paint

clean the area down with a degreaser, let dry, then prime then + paint thin coats. Best to let primer dry over night as well.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM

The best part is all this confusion isnt even over a maxima hahaha, its over a mustang.

Anyway, like i said before....i wiped it with a swiffer thingy, and some paint did come off, but like before. It was a light dusting, and after doing that no paint rubbed off on my hands. Maybe i may still need a clear coat, but i guess ill find out in time.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
haha ok I'm done with this thread than. You all say primer is not the answer yet tell him to redo it and use primer...
we did not say primer was not the answer, we said not using primer was not his problem. sure primer will help, but with the right prep and right paint it is not absolutely nessacery. he told him to use primer because of the paint that he baught. the primer will help that paint a lot better than not using it and possibly keep the paint from dusting off.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by willard00
so what your saying is mine is going to rub/chip off too? cause i only washed and sanded. no promoter, no primer. funny...its been almost a year and there are still no flaws.....
Who knows what he did wrong. But I know the proper way is to follow the steps above. But if it worked for you without primer then that's cool too. I painted plastics without primer before. It came out fine it just depends on how good of a finish you want.

Whats everyone getting all worked up for. lol
Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 PM

So he is only painting plastic pieces in his car, like window switches, door handles ? Is he also painting the door inserts.........??
Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by InsneDrmr
When I said cleaned, i meant sanded and cleaned and you dont need to prime plastic. Clear coat is the only thing I didnt do.

Reason it is rubbing off is you didn't clear it.

But like a few people are saying the Profesional way to do it is clean,sand,clean,adheasion promoter,primer, wet sand, clean, basecoat, clearcoat.

that is how i did my interior.