4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mods for a 99 gle at.. suggestions..

Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 PM

mods for a 99 gle at.. suggestions..

i kno yall probably got this b4, but im looking around and i jus dont wanna hurt more than help my car. im not mechanically inclined either but i would figure a way to my friends or someone to install..i would like suggestions if u can...

i would like to put a little more into my max. wat preformance suggestions would yall put? i have a kinda stock 99 gle at. i want a lil more power. i only have a k&n filter. ur suggestions will help. thanks in advance..
Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

y pipe
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM

ive heared people have fitment issues and o2 sensor issues. which one u suggest. thanks for da feedback
Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 PM

Search, its been talked about in depth a hundred times here.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 PM

Start with Warpspeed ypipe/catback exhaust/drop
Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 AM

It depends on how much more "power" you want to give it and how deep your pockets are...a decent short ram or true CAI is a start, then a good exhaust. If you want to compliment the setup then get a Y-pipe, and 2.5 piping all the way back, then for more power an 00VI is in order...an UDP is always a debate. I have all the above mentioned and love my setup.........
Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Search, its been talked about in depth a hundred times here.
True, but one does not know where to begin, took me months to figure out what's what (in terms of power) on this car.

Originally Posted by trand71
It depends on how much more "power" you want to give it and how deep your pockets are...a decent short ram or true CAI is a start, then a good exhaust. If you want to compliment the setup then get a Y-pipe, and 2.5 piping all the way back, then for more power an 00VI is in order...an UDP is always a debate. I have all the above mentioned and love my setup.........
*facepalm* @ decent short ram or true cai comment. There is no such thing as a CAI available for our cars. The coldest air that the VQ30DE will ever get is through the stock setup... or something custom fabbed, but not the point of the thread...

You want power? Get these mods (in my opinion, in this order)

-(If money is an issue skip this) If you have the $$ I suggest getting a Header/Y-Pipe combo, these work the best for squeezing every possible HP out of your system, Cattman makes the best sounding setup, arguably the most power but it's only by like 5hp at most.

-Y-Pipe (Get the correct one for your model and you WON'T have fitment issues, you can use any aftrmkt Y-pipe for any 4th gen if you can extend wires n such...)

-Headers (IF you're cali-spec, use the stickies to confirm this, don't use us)
^ Currently there is a good deal on ebay for a set of SS Headers and Y-Pipe combo, not the greatest setup but definitely a good improvement over stock.

-(Only if your state allows this/Your car can pass inspection) Hi flowing cat or Test pipe (There's a $30 test pipe on ebay now)

-2.5" B-Pipe (Either custom, or stillen, or any one else who makes it 2.5" the whole way)

-Underdrive Pulleys, doesn't add much if any at all, but makes the revving pretty nice.

- 5th gen muffler, it's a bit better than the 4th, but again not much of a power gain if any at all...

That's it for bolt ons... then you get to the serious stuff... Add all of the above mods then add one of these suckers then you're mooooovin!
(In order of power gained or cost)

-NO2 - Cheap, quick, dirty, easy power.

-00VI - You know that nice feeling you have around 3-4k? Yah imagine that at 6.5k... - Search the forums for more info.

-or the rare and elusive... 02VI! - Search.

-The above + 3.5 Cams - Search the forums

-3.0/3.5 Hybridization - Search...

-3.5 Swap - Grab a VQ35DE out of the Altima/Maxima insert into your car, enjoy beating mustang GTs (Where I'm stopping with this car... I hope).

-Built 3.5 - Don't know too many people w/ these being that the price/hp gained ratio is much smaller than going to the below options... But having a fully built 3.5 would be a dream for me...

-Supercharged 3.0's - Booost!

-Turbo 3.0s - moar boost!

-Supercharged 3.5 - less boost but just as deadly...

-Turbo 3.5 - Is there a 4th gen with one? (Nobody answer that, not the point of the thread).

You want a cool sounding Maxima? Remember sound =/= power.
-Short Ram intake (any one will do, actually, all you really have to do is add a cone filter to the end of your stock setup... Anything else is pure bling factor)
-Get an aftermarket muffler.

In my opinion the best sound out of these cars is achieved with an equal length y-pipe (The stock y-pipe is an equal length, along with the Cattman Header/Y Combo) attached to a free flowing catback and you have nothing short of glory coming out of the back of the car. That plus a cone filter and you have one mean sounding car.

That's a nice list of what can be done to your 4th gen (I'm sure I made errors in it somewhere). I made a long list cause the stickies (In my opinion) are a bit long/boring to read, so incase some one uses search and brings up this thread you haz this list

Enjoy modding.

Last edited by aackshun; 02-05-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 AM

haha very nice way to sum that up!!!

I just did my warpspeed ypipe yesterday and it sure was fun getting on it last night!!!! i definately felt a huge difference
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM

i would say get a short ram or CAI, y pipe, catback n just drop it for now
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

thanks for da ideas guys. especially aackshun... yall have been very helpful. sorry if u thought i should read up on it more,but i was reading since i joined. jus didnt kno if a 3.0 auto tranny, sensors, can handle mods

i wanted to do all those mods but didnt kno if the stock 99 gle auto transmission can handle all the power upgrades. smooth shifts..

ultimately i want a 3.5 swap. but thats future.. no where near lolz
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrfliboi
thanks for da ideas guys. especially aackshun... yall have been very helpful. sorry if u thought i should read up on it more,but i was reading since i joined. jus didnt kno if a 3.0 auto tranny, sensors, can handle mods

i wanted to do all those mods but didnt kno if the stock 99 gle auto transmission can handle all the power upgrades. smooth shifts..

ultimately i want a 3.5 swap. but thats future.. no where near lolz
Your tranny can hold the bolt on mods, you're only adding about 30hp-35hp tops. Anything else and you're asking for trouble.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 PM

auto ------> manual tranny
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM

If your car is an auto, the first mod you should do is sell it and buy a 5 speed.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
If your car is an auto, the first mod you should do is sell it and buy a 5 speed.
sounds like a good idea.. if i had da money i would.. lolz..
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrfliboi
sounds like a good idea.. if i had da money i would.. lolz..
Well, actually, I started with an auto too. I bought a 5 speed and just traded most of my aftermarket parts to the 5 speed (suspension, exhaust). It worked out pretty well.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Well, actually, I started with an auto too. I bought a 5 speed and just traded most of my aftermarket parts to the 5 speed (suspension, exhaust). It worked out pretty well.
thats koo.. i plannin on doin that wen i get da chance... but to tell u da truth im not really good with manual. i tryed it a few times.. so i have to practice.. my friend has a 97 se..
Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 PM

some really good responses so far.!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Has anyone tried to swap an automatic for a manual though? Or is that just asking for trouble?

I am currently in the same boat wondering which mods to do in what order and if the tranny will handle it. My goal is to hit around 230hp - 240hp. I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to add a cooling system to the stock tranny @ that power, just to keep it living longer.

I'm thinking that the following should do it:
- CAI
- Y-pipe
- 00vi
- high flow exhaust (need to research)
- and maybe headers... thought how much of a gain would one get?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Has anyone tried to swap an automatic for a manual though?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by aackshun

- 5th gen muffler, it's a bit better than the 4th, but again not much of a power gain if any at all...

I didnt feel any difference... I didnt even know you could gain anything from a muffler
Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
Has anyone tried to swap an automatic for a manual though? Or is that just asking for trouble?

I am currently in the same boat wondering which mods to do in what order and if the tranny will handle it. My goal is to hit around 230hp - 240hp. I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to add a cooling system to the stock tranny @ that power, just to keep it living longer.

I'm thinking that the following should do it:
- CAI
- Y-pipe
- 00vi
- high flow exhaust (need to research)
- and maybe headers... thought how much of a gain would one get?
You wont come anywhere near 230 with those mods unless you are doing ricer math.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
Has anyone tried to swap an automatic for a manual though?
Read the How-to sticky?