4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima trannies own compared to the Altima

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
SHIFT_up

Maxima trannies own compared to the Altima

So we got a little snow in NY this weekend, maybe 6-8in total. I got stuck on the maxima but thnx to the 5spd was out in 5min of just rocking back and forth.

Tried to drive out with the 2005 altima and BLEW the tranny....but i got out
I can't believe the tranny is so fragile. WTF!?!?! It's an auto but i didn't think the tranny would just blow up like that, it's under warranty so i could care less but this is pure bs. I think i only have 2nd gear left and reverese, but i'm not even sure. I don't feel/hear any gears change and the rpms go way up to take off. I think i'll just trade in this crap for the new 07 altima....
Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 PM

That sucks...def go for the 07 altima. Is the altima your daily driver or is your max?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
SHIFT_up

both of them are, I usually drive the Max and let my Father take the Altima.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:11 PM

Snow + Manual tranny = taking off 2nd gear
Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
I don't feel/hear any gears change and the rpms go way up to take off.
My transmission is currently doing the same thing (auto, obviously) but only during REALLY cold temps (<20). Mine I believe is solenoid A in the tranny sticking or something. Essentially, it's on it's way out, but you'd never know it the way it performs under anything greater than 20 degrees temperature.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:03 PM

what were you doing with the alti? Its kinda hard to believe the tranny would just blow when your trying to reverse out of the drive way?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rocking is the worse thing you can do with a tranny. If you can't get out than take a shovel out.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by speed racer
Rocking is the worse thing you can do with a tranny. If you can't get out than take a shovel out.

++1. some guy with a corrola by may place shot out a parking spot and ended up in car parked on the other side of the road beacsue he was rocking and the car finaly broke loose and rocked the hell out of another car. That was some funny sh$t.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM

Auto Trannys Blow. Get A Stick.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:30 PM

The more threads I read at the org, the more I realize these Nissan auto trannies are a joke. I'll keep my fingers crossed with my 97 SE.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Autos are not a joke its the people who drive them. If you constantly abusing the auto tranny its going to go on you. Stuff like rocking the auto, going WOT on the Highway and making the tranny shift, or manually downshifting causes the tranny to prematurally fail.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 PM

lmao. he was going forward, and then slamming it into reverse before the car was fully stopped. and then teh opposite. how is that the fault of Nissan? (or any other transmission builder). that is 100% driver stupidity. I understand keeping momentum and not wanting to wait, but how about using your brake right before you are about to change direction, waiting and then shifting (still giving you your needed momentum).
Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by tbones
The more threads I read at the org, the more I realize these Nissan auto trannies are a joke. I'll keep my fingers crossed with my 97 SE.
from what ive seen....the auto trannies seem to be lasting longer than the manual ones. although this could be due to the fact that most ppl get the manual for performance reasons and in the process beat on it more than the auto.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM

This thread is going nowhere now....if he was putting it in opposite gear while the wheels were still moving, then you shouldnt be complaining. That is just a dumb move on your part. It isnt good to do on manuals either...even though you can without severly hurting the tranny.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by speed racer
Autos are not a joke its the people who drive them.
I have 130,000+ miles on my original now and it's still going like a champ, even with more power going through it and daily abuse. It doesn't like the cold, but that's because I sort of overcool it during the winter with the tranny cooler (yes, I know, I need a bypass).
Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Your not the only one that over cools them, but I have the by pass valve.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
SHIFT_up

I did rock the car in order to get out but i wasn't putting in reverse while the rpms were high, i dropped it in N to roll back(basically a N drop but no where near high rpms). I was in drive and finally pulled free from the spot and obviously the car started to peel out when i finally got traction on the road and that's when it happened.

The car isn't abused because my father mainly drives it so it was pretty much mint until the tranny blew. So now what happens is in order to take of from say a light you let go of the brake and car just stands still and when you press the gas the rpms rise till 2k maybe more for it to take off. There's no jerks, i can't even feel it switch gears anymore. It really doesn't matter i convinced my Father to get the new 07 Altima 6spd.

I got stuck on the 5spd today again, rocked the car and got out in 10min. I just leave it in first and play with the clutch and rock it...might burn the clutch slightly but that's what i had to do i don't have a shovel.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 PM

I did rock the car in order to get out but i wasn't putting in reverse while the rpms were high, i dropped it in N to roll back(basically a N drop but no where near high rpms). I was in drive and finally pulled free from the spot and obviously the car started to peel out when i finally got traction on the road and that's when it happened.

The car isn't abused because my father mainly drives it so it was pretty much mint until the tranny blew. So now what happens is in order to take of from say a light you let go of the brake and car just stands still and when you press the gas the rpms rise till 2k maybe more for it to take off. There's no jerks, i can't even feel it switch gears anymore. It really doesn't matter i convinced my Father to get the new 07 Altima 6spd.

I got stuck on the 5spd today again, rocked the car and got out in 10min. I just leave it in first and play with the clutch and rock it...might burn the clutch slightly but that's what i had to do i don't have a shovel.
I dont know about you...but I would much rather pay $10 for a shovel than hundreds of $$ on a new tranny/clutch. Just think about it.....
Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
SHIFT_up

i agree, but thats when you acutally own the car! i don't own it so it's going straight where it came from and i'm coming home with something better.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Whose car is it? Your fathers? I would still respect the car if it weren't mine...just something that seems right to me.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:59 PM

i did a burnout at hooters to show off and i had to rev high to move no lights came on and nothing just drove retarded as hell so i continued driving home and when i made it home i took out the key put it back in and started it and the tranny was fine idk if it was a miracle that god might of fixed it or not but hey take what you can get you might have the same prob, sorry for the incoherent ramble.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:35 PM
SHIFT_up

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Whose car is it? Your fathers? I would still respect the car if it weren't mine...just something that seems right to me.

No, both cars are mine. I let my father use it so he doesn't ring up miles on his car. The car is leased. That's why i could care less what happenes to it. It has full coverage and full warranty...
Old 03-19-2007, 04:42 PM

No, both cars are mine. I let my father use it so he doesn't ring up miles on his car. The car is leased. That's why i could care less what happenes to it. It has full coverage and full warranty...

just to bring it back. The auto tranny does and doesnt suck. Nissan hasnt been the greatest when it comes to trannies, but most will last when treated and maintained properly.

Fortunately you have a leased car with full coverage and full warantee, luckily you just call, take it back and get another one. Most people pretty much treat leases like crappy, or dont care too much for it since its a lease. Just like most people beat on rental cars.

in short Nissan trannies arent the most forgiving, then again neither is any tranny when abused excessively, or you wear on its weak points.

Hope then get you a nice replacement.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

you drive your maxima in the snow ? thats what my 01 pathfinder is for.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Well I guess it sucks for whoever buys your car after you trade it in....
Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
whats wrong with a fwd in the snow?
Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Well I guess it sucks for whoever buys your car after you trade it in....
umm... nissan will repair and/or replace the tranny before they sell it.
Plus most leases get sold off for wholesale, or at auctions.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
You drive in snow? That's what my servants are for.

Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM

Ive had no problems with the auto in my 4th gen, shifts smoothly in every gear, then again its bone stock, although it is driven hard. I was having a weird issue in my 5.5 gen if i stopped at a light only when it was cold, as id give it throttle to start moving the revs would go up and then it would SLAM into gear, literally it did it to me once and i thought i got rearended. my girlfreind didnt happen to tell me untill it happened to me, turned out the fluid was low, guess i skipped it as a regular thing to check as it shifted fine before.

Our shuttle car at work, the ones the lot guys drive to pick up customers gets the SH*T beaten out of it, it has about 10,000 miles and i can garuntee you every one of those miles its been driven harder then a rental. I can say ive driven the crap out of it, i think theyve gone through about 3 sets of front tires, all due to wear lol. We had a video of a massive burnout they did in it. The tranny is starting to shift a little hard the 1-2 most noticeable. But other then that it drives fine.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM

auto trannies in general are very sensitive. ive had the joy of owning a 97 dodge neon in the past and let me tell ya the tranny on that was lunatic.

when the car was cold and put in reverse it did not shift, at all. i had to wait and hit the gas sometimes and then i got it to kick in and violently shift throwing me into the steering wheel, then i had the pleasure of having an autotragic tranny by having to let the gas go in order t oget it to shift from 2nd to 3rd , otherwise it revved to redline and did nothing but **** me off.

nevermind the ill designed trunk that had obvious holes between the rear lights and let the rain water into the trunk and fluded the spare tire compartment. nevermind the leaky engine thats been recalled 2 times for a leaky gasket, nevermind all that we love our neons

basically: dont buy a neon! Period.