4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 AM

Front Brake Question

I am changing my fronts Pads/rotors. I inspected them last month and noticed the Anti Rattle Springs were busted . Do I need to replace these Anti rattle springs. They go over the brake pads. I think that is what they are called it is a 1999 maxima.. Thanks .
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 AM

Yes, get new shims/clips/anti-rattle components when you change the pads, especially if those components are broken.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 AM

Yes, get new ones from the dealer, otherwise they can get noisy.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,

Have any of you guys came across on the big brake kit upgrade? I previously read that the kit contains the: '92 Nissan 300 ZX TT Front Calipers (4 Piston), Caliper Relocation Kit, Mustang Cobra Front Rotors (13 Inches), Steel Braded Brake Lines, HK hub-centric kit and a few home depot bolts and washers..

If so, is there any posts or threads here or mainly a write up? I am so new here and am struggling of researchin posts..mainly bcoz I think i'm a newbie and have limited search rights. Can anyone of you send me links to these posts. I found MAXRB8 at car domain - write up and this user listed a couple of names here on the org. jeff92se and matt at blehmco@ maxima.org.

Thanks Much
Whoadie
Old 03-14-2007, 07:43 AM
sky jumper

Originally Posted by hobokenkid
I am changing my fronts Pads/rotors. I inspected them last month and noticed the Anti Rattle Springs were busted . Do I need to replace these Anti rattle springs. They go over the brake pads. I think that is what they are called it is a 1999 maxima.. Thanks .
are you talking about the pad retainer clips (that the pads slide back & forth in), or the flat metal shims that cover the backside of the pads?

pad retainer clips need to be in good condition so the pads can slide. lube them with caliper grease.

as for shims -- they are just there for noise reduction, and most brake pads come with them (except, of course, OEM pads). no need to buy new ones from Nissan, they are a rip-off. 3M sells adhesive ones for $5/axle and they work just as well.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 AM

yes its the anti rattle springs not the shims.

They were rusted out and i tossed them out while replacing the front break pads on a trip in Wash DC. Auto zone pads. Hate em but did it in a pinch. Going to change everything Brem rotors / akabono pads. I guess I will go to dealer and get a pair of the springs. thank you.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:49 AM

blah those do nothing. shims. i was only able to fit 1 of the 3 shims that i originally had and so i said screw it threw all of them out. not noise from brakes what so ever. smooth sailing.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
sky jumper

Originally Posted by hobokenkid
They were rusted out and i tossed them out while replacing the front break pads on a trip in Wash DC. Auto zone pads. Hate em but did it in a pinch. Going to change everything Brem rotors / akabono pads. I guess I will go to dealer and get a pair of the springs. thank you.
ok I get it - you're talking about those V-shaped wire springs that are supposed to push the pads apart... man I haven't used, or even seen those things on any car I've worked on in over 10 years. I didn't even know our cars had them. local dealers here don't use them. I'm not even sure akebono pads have the little holes for them. if they do, I didn't notice them when I installed mine.

you certainly don't need them, but if you insist on using them don't pay dealer prices (if the dealer even sells them??). just get a hardware kit at autozone or napa for a few bucks. it should have them, along with new pad retainers (which install in the caliper braket). I personally don't use those little springs, and have never had any brake noises.

also fyi -- for the rear brakes nissan does sell a combination pad retainer & pad return spring kit that installs in the caliper. it was part of a brake TSB for 4th gens. those you may want to get as the back brakes are more prone to rattling.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
dnd
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't recall anti rattle springs either. The akebono pads include the shims. I have the brembo blanks and Akebonos from tirerack. I've been pleased with their performance, price, and longevity.

Instead of bumping your older thread, you should flush the fluid. I also would suggest buying the bolt to pop the rotor before you are tempted to use one of the bolts you've just removed from the car and strip it .
Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM

+1 for flushing brake fluid... and +1 for ditching the V-shaped "spring" that don't even come with the higher-end pads (HAWK, AKEBONO, ETC.). These pads don't even have the holes drilled for them, so that should tell you SOMETHING.