4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is my starter going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Is my starter going bad?

I started my car about 5 times during today. Every time, the starter struggled more to turn over. The last time, the starter just turned enough to get the engine started. It's more like there's less and less battery power for the starter. I am justing wondering when a starter dies, could it die like this gradually?
The battery is only 1 month old.
I just replace my knock sensor last night. Don't think it caused this to happen today.
Any thought would be apprecaited!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 PM

First thing to do is determine if your battery has a full charge. Even though you recently replaced the battery there could be other problems that are preventing the battery from fully charging or holding it's charge. Things like, weak alternator, corrosion at terminals, trickle drain, etc. Buy a $20 multimeter and check that battery has at least 12.4v. New battery should be more like 12.6 -12.7. If below 12.2v it's likely not your starter but a charging or wiring issue. It's $20 well spent - once you have a multimeter you'll find all kinds of uses for it.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:21 PM

i just replaced my starter mine did the same thing for about 3 months..a gradual death..replace it if it doesent work u can always take the part back but in my case car runs starts with ease now......
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 PM

test the damn battery. They do it for free at autozone. Or get the multimeter and do it yourself. Test the voltage when the car is off, and when it is running. the voltage should be around 14 volts when the engine is running.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You might have an alternator problem if you just replaced the battery and still not enough zip to turn it over readily. The Autozone test is valid. They can check the alternator as well.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:39 PM

I think I am beginning to have a problem with my starter or possibly battery. Two of every three times when I start the car, usually when warm, it starts within 2-3 seconds but makes a odd grinding noise almost. It does this especially when the car is low on gas, but I have no idea what it could be. It only happens on startup so it makes me think that its the starter.

I dont mean to threadjack....but anyone else have this problem or know what it could be leading up to?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Best guess is starter. Dedinately replace it. Go get one from autozone or something and replace it. If that doesn't fix it just take it back and tell them that wasn't the problem.

and don't be afraid of replacing the starter. It's surprisingly easy. I've done it 3 times cause I originaly took mine out and cleaned and regreased it thinking that would fix the problem, but it didn't. My problem turned out to be that two of the brushes had worn down to almost nothing. It was having a hard time starting when the starter was hot (after driving a while) but when cold it would fire right up.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM

I do not think this is too big of a problem...if it gets continually worse, I will definitly look into getting the starter replaced. How much does it cost in parts? And on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, what would you rate it?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 AM

the starter is unfortunately kinda expensive at stores like autozone, (130ish?)
i think on ebay you can get one for half the price. Difficulty... 2

to change the starter all you do is take off the airbox and snorkle, unbolt the negetive terminal of the battery (don't forget that!) unbolt the cable from the starter, unbolt the 3 bolts that hold the starter on (or are there only 2?) and it comes right out. No wierd angles or crazy tight places to get into. You'll need some extensions and i think 17, 14 mm sockets (maybe another smaller size). It really takes only 15 or 20 minutes (and i am not being like the other *******s on this site that say it only takes an hour to change a tranny or 5 minutes to change your spark plugs...)

also... i told myself that it wasn't too big a deal (that it was sometimes a little hard to start when hot), but then one day i went out to start my car in the walmart parking lot and all i got was a click. I wound up trying again in 10 minutes and it barely turned over enough to get it started. But it really sucks to not have your car start on you one day. I wouldn't ignor the problem (unless you can't afford to replace it... then go ahead and ignor it )
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I do not think this is too big of a problem...if it gets continually worse, I will definitly look into getting the starter replaced. How much does it cost in parts? And on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, what would you rate it?
One last thing, get a breaker bar handy for the longer of the 2 bolts.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by qazplm1999
I started my car about 5 times during today. Every time, the starter struggled more to turn over. The last time, the starter just turned enough to get the engine started. It's more like there's less and less battery power for the starter. I am justing wondering when a starter dies, could it die like this gradually?
I just replace my knock sensor last night. Don't think it caused this to happen today.
I had a similar prob and replacing the starter resolved it. In your case I would check the battery first. Just because it's new...whom amoung us has not installed a faulty "new" part.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The starter on these is among the easiest I have ever done. only thing I would say, is the 2 bolts that hold the starter in can be real hard to get if they haven't been done before. Also, use anti-seize on the bolts when you but them back so it's easy next time. But yes, check the battery, clean the terminals, check the cables and alternator etc... and, if anyone buys a voltmeter, make sure it has very high impedance of 1 meg ohm or so. the ones with a mechanical needle can damage computer controlled circuits (not a concern for the battery check though)
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by qazplm1999
your transponder chip may need to be reprogramed
Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Similar Problem with my car

I have a 96 and my car has a hard time starting. It seems to happen when the engine is warm. I started it this morning and drove for about 15min then turned it off. 2 minutes later I tried to turn it on, but it just cranked. After several tries the battery died. I have a jump pack that I carry around and it was 100% charged. I connected it to the battery terminals and it did not turn over or make that click noise. I disconnected it and it turned over once and then nothing. I connected the jump pack again and turned the key, nothing. I disconnected the jump and it turned over a little. Also I notice that I have to turn and press the key in if I want to start the car.

Also majority of the time when I am cranking the car, it seems like a slow crank and sputters into a starts. Sometimes it seems to pause during cranking and pickup again. Any ideas? I have checked the fuel pressure, cleaned the neg grounding cable of the battery, cleaned the positive cable, replaced the battery, no engine codes, stuck a voltage meter into the starter signal and it gives a 12v when I turn the key.

HELP