4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New rear shocks problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 AM

New rear shocks problems!!!

this past weekend I installed new shocks and springs all the way around. I went with Progress springs and GR-2's. I got everything going good, but the backs are making loud noises on the smallest of bumps. It's almost like something is loose or something. It kinda makes like a clanking noise whenever I go over anything. I'm pretty sure I installed them right. The fronts are fine, it's just the rears.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 AM

I just checked them again and everything seems to be tighten down properly.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
driving so slow aint easy

did you change the bushings and all rubber parts off the old suspension that could be a reason
Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Are you missing any parts? The first time I did my suspension, I completely left out one rubber isolator on each side. Big mistake.

Is everything back in in the CORRECT order? That could be another problem. Without seeing it, it is hard for us to diagnose the problem.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 PM

I didn't leave anything off except for a metal plate. I left it off because it was making a clanking noise whenever I would go over anything.
It seem like the rear shocks are sitting up too high or something. It tends to want to bounce up and down. There is quite a bit of travel. I put a few nylon and rubber bushings on to try to correct this. It seems to have eliminated the bouncy feel, but it is still really noisy. Like a creeking sound whenever I hit something.

Also, I noticed that the shocks are sitting really close to the inside of the mounting plate. The bumps that I hit aren't that big. it's not like just big bumps but small ones also.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 AM

Anyone??

When you get an alignment, do they actually move the struts at all? Mine are sitting pretty close to the mounting bracket. It's almost grinding into it.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 AM

they are supposed to in order to adjust the camber. some lazy shops dont and tell you it cant be done. fronts only of course.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by mikey chalupa
I didn't leave anything off except for a metal plate. I left it off because it was making a clanking noise whenever I would go over anything.
It seem like the rear shocks are sitting up too high or something. It tends to want to bounce up and down. There is quite a bit of travel. I put a few nylon and rubber bushings on to try to correct this. It seems to have eliminated the bouncy feel, but it is still really noisy. Like a creeking sound whenever I hit something.

Also, I noticed that the shocks are sitting really close to the inside of the mounting plate. The bumps that I hit aren't that big. it's not like just big bumps but small ones also.
You need to FIND A PICTURE of the suspension- an exploded diagram (there is one inthe sticky threads) and let us know which part you left out.

Not to sound like a d!ck, but you are asking us why the suspension is making noise, and only after I asked you did you actually admit that you LEFT SOMETHING OUT- intentionally! So let's add this up...
Before, all parts are there...no noise.
After, some parts missing...noise.

DO YOU THINK THAT THE NOISE MIGHT BE BECAUSE YOU LEFT SOMETHING OUT?

I have had it look like everything woudl not fit when I reassembled, but once the weight of the car got onthe assembly, you could see that the missing part was actually very important. Like I said- I have done it myself, so it is not really an uncommon mistake, but you HAD to think that leaving the part out was the problem. Even if it was making noise (and if that is why you removed it), then it is likely that you had things assembled in the wrong order.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by mikey chalupa
Anyone??

When you get an alignment, do they actually move the struts at all? Mine are sitting pretty close to the mounting bracket. It's almost grinding into it.
You need a digital camera. We cannot read your mind...you are not doing the best job at explaining yourself, and you have no pics or diagrams.