4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car sounds like Jet engine plane??? WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Car sounds like Jet engine plane??? WHY?

My car just started this weird noise, when I am driving and I hit about 70 mph, it gets real loud in the engine bay...it sounds like my car is stuck in 2nd gear...however my car is an automatic........and it just drives rough...really lacking in power....Any one have any ideas why this may be?? Also, i get a high pitch noise when I start the max up in the morning and I turn the wheels.....Could it be time for a new power steering pump? Is that why it makes that noise? Please help!!! Oh and the car has 150,000 miles on it!!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:34 PM

when you turn your wheels whether its left or right and get a squeeling noise most likely your belts are no good a belt that is too lose will cause the car to run roungh being the altenater uses it to power every thing in the car or a bad power steering pump or worn fluid start with the small stuff first before you think to big you dont want to start replacing thing that are unessesary can be costly so check the belt have some one turn the wheel while you look under the hood the belts are on the passenger side cant miss it
Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 96sleepergle
when you turn your wheels whether its left or right and get a squeeling noise most likely your belts are no good a belt that is too lose will cause the car to run roungh being the altenater uses it to power every thing in the car or a bad power steering pump or worn fluid start with the small stuff first before you think to big you dont want to start replacing thing that are unessesary can be costly so check the belt have some one turn the wheel while you look under the hood the belts are on the passenger side cant miss it
**** that drop in a 3.5 and 6spd, FTW!
No, but seriously it's probably just your belts, check em.
I don't typically hear jet engines so Idk how your car sounds? Maybe take a cam corder and go out on the highway go about 70 and let us hear it. Also is it only at higher RPM's? Idk if your a speed deamon or a slower driver that never brings the car over 2k RPM. but at 70 your running up there 2.5-3k RPM i forget exactly what it is, Have you touched your airbox at all? Just go punch it to 40 and bring it up to 6k rpm and listen does it still sound like a jet plane?

And LOL. lacking in power? Thats funny. with a blown bottom bolt bearing and a tranny with no 4th I was still able to beat an 03 5spd tiburon :P.. Pff no power. omg..Maximas are BEASTS. NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN. you almost make me cry. And yes I know TIBS are slow. but. with a motor that is about to throw a piston at any given second (Which it finally ended up doing when I got it to the junkyard and he drove it in the back) it kinda makes you have a little... low end. middle end. uhh top end. every end. power loss.. FTL..!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZaxWhite97Max
**** that drop in a 3.5 and 6spd, FTW!
No, but seriously it's probably just your belts, check em.
I don't typically hear jet engines so Idk how your car sounds? Maybe take a cam corder and go out on the highway go about 70 and let us hear it. Also is it only at higher RPM's? Idk if your a speed deamon or a slower driver that never brings the car over 2k RPM. but at 70 your running up there 2.5-3k RPM i forget exactly what it is, Have you touched your airbox at all? Just go punch it to 40 and bring it up to 6k rpm and listen does it still sound like a jet plane?

And LOL. lacking in power? Thats funny. with a blown bottom bolt bearing and a tranny with no 4th I was still able to beat an 03 5spd tiburon :P.. Pff no power. omg..Maximas are BEASTS. NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN. you almost make me cry. And yes I know TIBS are slow. but. with a motor that is about to throw a piston at any given second (Which it finally ended up doing when I got it to the junkyard and he drove it in the back) it kinda makes you have a little... low end. middle end. uhh top end. every end. power loss.. FTL..!
if you notice he said when he starts the car up he gets a squeeling noise when turning the wheel without the car moving which means something in the steering system need to be checked first
Old 03-05-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 96sleepergle
if you notice he said when he starts the car up he gets a squeeling noise when turning the wheel without the car moving which means something in the steering system need to be checked first
Yes I know. but I had a problem when I turned the steering wheel and the belt would squeel when it took off. I had thought it was because I was turning the steering wheel but it was really because I was just taking off, but 90% of the time I'm taking off I'm turning. soo. I just figured that was the reason. He didn't give a very good explanation of what was happening. so I just wanted to know more. - So calm your ****.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 AM

check the idle pulley tensioner

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=11925-ACPUL

Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

He is describing two different problems. The high pitched noise has to do with the belts. Does that noise ONLY happen when you turn the wheels? It doesn't happen when you start up the car and don't turn the wheels? If its only when you turn the wheels, either your PS tensioner can lose and you need to tighten it, or your PS belt is worn and you need a new one. If the noise happens without turning the wheels than it could also be your idle pulley tensioner and/or your main belt.

For the loud noise and loss of power, kind of need more information; are you sure its only happening at high speeds? When you start hearing the noise, at what RPM are you? Could be a few things; exhaust leak (doubtful but Ill throw it out there anyways), maybe a bent rim or your wheels are just way out of balance causing a lot of vibration that you are interpreting as noise (but then that wouldn't explain the loss of power), or maybe you have some bad piston rings in one cylinder or a blown head gasket. Are you burning any coolant or oil? This may not be the case with you, but when my friends old Datsun blew the head gasket, or blew the rings, cant remember which, he had a big loss in power and his car was really loud.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
driving so slow aint easy

its from your belts mostlikly you need to tighten the alternator belt and bolt mine also was doing that so i did those things i told you and it when away
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Guys thanks for the info....However let me try to better explain......When I was driving my car yesterday at like 75mph......The eingine sounds real loud, but my car also shakes alot, So I started thinking maybe it is my tires out of line and its making the car sound loud....however when i drive it and I am hitting higher speeds( Usually u can hear and feel the car change gears) It seems almost like after I hear it change into 2, then after that I barely can hear of even feel it change into third, and it feels like from that point on it is like running in second/3rd gear.!? ? And when stepping on the gas and hitting higher rpm it makes a pinging noise when it is reving up to speed. Does any of this make any sense?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Loss of power at speed and a funny noise can be caused by a catalytic converter starting to plug up. This can increase backpressure and make the exaust sound like a Hoover.