4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

injector cleaning idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM

injector cleaning idea

I have always thought the usual "over the counter" products like techron etc. have always been too diluted to really do anything as far as serious injector cleaning goes.

I was wondering what you guys think of this.

What about super concentrating it? Instead of adding a bottle of techron to a full tank of gas, what about adding it to 1/8th a tank of gas. I figure this might be bad for the O2 sensors, so of course if I ever did something like this, I would remove all of the O2 sensors first.

So, letting the car idle or driving it around the block with this concentrated mixture for half an hour or so, then filling the tank up with a few gas cans before hooking up the o2 sensors again?

Would this really damage anything? Any risk to the catalytic converters? How about the fuel lines? 30 minutes or so shouldn't cause any problems in that regard will it?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM

i wouldnt risk it..

if u feel the need to clean ur injectors take the car to the dealer they will run the cleaner directly into the fuel rail.. its like 100 bucks
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM

i guess thats your best choice^^......so far.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM

theres gotta be a reason y they specify a full tank and no less cuz it most likely WILL harm something or another in ur car,but yesh dealers do do it. they hook up something directly to ur fuel system. ur car runs on the thing they put on instead of ur fuel pump actually being used to pump gas.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Maintenance Monster

If you really want them clean just pull them and send them off for ultrasonic cleaning and flow balancing.

Dave
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
If you really want them clean just pull them and send them off for ultrasonic cleaning and flow balancing.

Dave

Send them out to DW or a similar shop, you'll even get a little spec sheet for flow.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM

I wouldn't worry at all about it unless your car is running rough. I found out some people run about 7 Oz. of acetone in a full tank of gas once in awhile to clean injectors and tried it - works pretty well but don't get it on your paint. You also might want to check if your throttle body is clean and spray that with some throttle body cleaner.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 AM

I used to work at az many moons ago and one of the other employees thought it would be a good idea to put 4bottles of techron in a full tank.
It melted and desolved the fuel filter element and the car never ran well again.
He went through he'll try to get the car back to running without constant missfires.
I'd say it's not worth it if your injector is clogged you can always pop it out and clean it yourself.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Maintenance Monster

I'm not trying to pick on you Chitownson, but how do you know the cleaner is doing anything?

I hear a lot of people talk about which injector cleaners work better than others, but aside from flow testing on a bench setup it's pure speculation.

IME an improvement in injector performance thats large enough to register on a dyno or wideband is beyond the cleaning capabilities of an in-tank additive.

Dave
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Car started running a little rough after I filled up with a tank of gas so I added a little acetone and it cleared up by the time I got to work. I also left my lawnmower sit awhile and the gas got bad, making the mower sputter. I ran a little acetone through it and it stopped sputtering within 10 minutes. I guess I don't have a PHD or test equipment but I believe what I see. (Don't get me wrong, I don't think the stuff is any kind of miracle cure, it just seems to have worked 1/2 way decent for me....)
Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not trying to pick on you Chitownson, but how do you know the cleaner is doing anything?

I hear a lot of people talk about which injector cleaners work better than others, but aside from flow testing on a bench setup it's pure speculation.

IME an improvement in injector performance thats large enough to register on a dyno or wideband is beyond the cleaning capabilities of an in-tank additive.

Dave
I'm thinking it's a placebo effect. "Oooo my car runs better now" but in reality nothing really changed. If the car was running rough and it stopped after cleaning, that's a real result. Most people won't see this kind of result, but if it makes them feel better about it, then hey, whatever works
Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 PM

My brother runs a bottle of fuel system cleaner and the cheapest bottle of octane booster he can find with a full tank to clean it. He does this on his rally speced STI and his daily driver maxima. Done it for years on both and no problems. I just did it on mine as well and although i didn't notice a difference, i didn't notice a problem either.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM

well,

well, how about this? you been buying fuel injector cleaner ever since you bought your car.. it's called the miracle of "gasoline"!! And wait, theres more!! for every gallon of gasoline, they have included a injector cleaning agent in the mix!! thus resulting in your injectors being clean!! But why you feel no performance difference when you add the fuel injector cleaner in your car, is because your injectors are probably clean to begin with from the gasoline!!

BUT WAIT!! We have MORE!! YES MORE!! if you really want your injectors clean, get them cleaned for about 100 bucks! where they actually take your fuel rail and injectors and clean them!!

now, back to your scheduled thread.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Dave
Originally Posted by pmohr

Send them out to DW or a similar shop, you'll even get a little spec sheet for flow.
Nice, How much does that cost? If it was a good price. I doubt I could send my injectors off too a place for a few weeks. I do like that they show the flow before and after that. Pretty awesome stuff.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
Nice, How much does that cost? If it was a good price. I doubt I could send my injectors off too a place for a few weeks. I do like that they show the flow before and after that. Pretty awesome stuff.
probably not that much, but getting to all your injectors is not as easy as you think. You might as well change out the lower and upper intake gasket, along with the front and rear valve covers, tb, egr, iacv, gaskets also.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
probably not that much, but getting to all your injectors is not as easy as you think. You might as well change out the lower and upper intake gasket, along with the front and rear valve covers, tb, egr, iacv, gaskets also.
Why would you change out the LIM gaskets? They never leak, and you know what they say about not touching it if it's working just fine...

Also, no need to change out the TB or IACV gaskets unless you take either one of those components off, which might not be a bad idea if it's been a long time since they've been cleaned.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Why would you change out the LIM gaskets? They never leak, and you know what they say about not touching it if it's working just fine...

Also, no need to change out the TB or IACV gaskets unless you take either one of those components off, which might not be a bad idea if it's been a long time since they've been cleaned.
figured to change out the lim since the injectors are already off?? cause from what it semed like you would need to take the injectors off to get to the lim?? but then again, you'd still have to take the fuel rail off too. Thats why i left mine and only changed out the upper. But i figured if you're there, might as well??? and how do you get the intake manifold off without taking off the egr, tb, and iacv?? you kinda just slide the manifold out of the way with everything attached???
Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
No more Maximas...

figured to change out the lim since the injectors are already off?? cause from what it semed like you would need to take the injectors off to get to the lim?? but then again, you'd still have to take the fuel rail off too. Thats why i left mine and only changed out the upper. But i figured if you're there, might as well??? and how do you get the intake manifold off without taking off the egr, tb, and iacv?? you kinda just slide the manifold out of the way with everything attached???
Never said you shouldn't replace the EGR guide tube gasket, as you do have to remove it to get the UIM off. The TB and IACV, however, don't need to come off. The IACV makes getting to the EGR tube nuts a lot easier, but by no means mandatory. Hell, without EGR or rear brackets, it only takes ~5 minutes to remove my UIM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Never said you shouldn't replace the EGR guide tube gasket, as you do have to remove it to get the UIM off. The TB and IACV, however, don't need to come off. The IACV makes getting to the EGR tube nuts a lot easier, but by no means mandatory. Hell, without EGR or rear brackets, it only takes ~5 minutes to remove my UIM.
crap, so from what you're saying is that me taking off the iacv, and tb was like a waste of time??? i left the rear bracket support bolt off as many orgers said to leave it off, so i did. and yea, i read your post about how you can take urs off in 5 min.... and how you took off another intake manifold with a screw drive and vice grips...

and the most trouble some was to get the brackets taht hold the wires to the coils off.....pita..
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
No more Maximas...

crap, so from what you're saying is that me taking off the iacv, and tb was like a waste of time??? i left the rear bracket support bolt off as many orgers said to leave it off, so i did. and yea, i read your post about how you can take urs off in 5 min.... and how you took off another intake manifold with a screw drive and vice grips...

and the most trouble some was to get the brackets taht hold the wires to the coils off.....pita..
Indeed. No need at all to remove the TB to remove the UIM. IACV is a personal choice, if you want to get to the EGR guide tube bolts a bit easier.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Boosted Panda

Why would you change out the LIM gaskets?
To install the phenolic spacer!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
To install the phenolic spacer!
NWP w00t