4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help: Trunk Lid problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 AM

Help: Trunk Lid problem

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Maxima GLE. And there is a problem with my car that has been bugging me for a loooooong time. When I press the trunk release button, I hear the click but the trunk won't pop open. However, if I press the trunk release button and pull the spoiler up at the same time, it would open .... weird

Any idea why and how to fix it? I did an extensive search and found no similar problem. ^___^

Thanks all.

P.S: My fog lights haven't work for a long time also. I'm thinking bad fuse but I don't know where is the fuse for the fog light located ... Any idea?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 AM

you have to adjust the trunk lacth portion connected to the car. anf FYI, opening the trunk via the spolier is the best way to break the tabs.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:02 AM

^_^ I know that. That's why I only open it by the key now. How do you adjust the trunk latch portion again? Sorrie ^_^ I'm noob.

Btw, anyone has any idea on the fog lights?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM

There is a little lever right in the lower, rear center of your trunk opening. You almost have to stick your head and neck in the trunk and then look back towards the rear of the car. It's kind of hidden in the trunk carpet. Sometimes they get moved out of place and it won't allow the trunk release mechanism to engage. This is also a good time to see if your trunk catch is nice and tight. BTW, the trunk lever has to be either all the way up or all the way down until it clicks. Otherwise, you will only hear the trunk release operating, but the trunk will not open. I agree with the other member about pulling up on your spoiler. If you break off the spoiler clips they are a pain to replace and you can only get them from the dealer.

Good luck,

Ted, Chicago

P.s. Sorry, but I have no idea about the fog lights. You can start by opening one up and turning the switch on. Then, use an electrical tester to see if you are getting any juice. It might be that both of your bulbs blew.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:53 PM

^_^ my first bit of advice would just be to examine things before asking questions. The bolts to adjust the latch are not hidden at all....it just takes common sense.
mine does the same thing, but i simply bent my neck to an angle where i could view the latch from the inside, then i found a 10mm wrench and started messing around with the latch it.

also, how is it that you press the trunk release button and pull up on the trunk at the same time?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:14 PM

uhm .... ok, here's the thing.

My trunk used to pop up fine until I moved a few days ago. I think I stuff too much stuff inside the trunk or st. It might have something to do with the tension rod that push the trunk upward.

The latch can still engage. That's why when I push the trunk release button and pull the trunk upward, I can still open it. I think the tension that's supposed to push the trunk up just simply disappeared .... [weird]

I'm gonna test the fuse of the fog light. I think that's the problem since once I was driving, the fog lights (both of them) just simply turned off .... Very low chance that both of the bulbs are blown at the same time ... But see, I don't know where's the fuse for the fog lights, lolz...

Thanks all for your time ^_______^
Old 12-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
also, how is it that you press the trunk release button and pull up on the trunk at the same time?
Mr Fantastic..DUH!!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 PM

chillin ^_^ I pressed the trunk release button on the remote ^_^ simple as that