4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New to Forum, Where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM

New to Forum, Where should I start?

Hi all, I got a 95 Maxima and love it. Had it for a couple months and I want to start modding it. So far I got the euro turn signals, blue led nozzles, replaced most of the lights with xenon/hids. I wanna get some feedback on what should I do next? Any ideas I wanna hear it all. Im gonna get some rims after the winter is over( im rolling on hubcaps ). I just dunno where to start. I am not looking for any audio. Mostly exterior so far but some interior. Where is a good place to get a Stillen body kit or s5 grille? I see so many sick looking 4th gen maximas its unreal. I wanna join the club and make mine look really good.
If I get 17'' rims do I have to adjust calipers?
I have also seen LED taillights, anywhere to get a hold of those?
Hope to hear from you all.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Wow. It's really hard for someone to tell you where to start. It's your car. I say performance befor looks but that's my opinion. You really need to search the forum before you post like this because I'm sure you'll get flamed (maybe my saying that will have the opposite effect and you wont get flamed tho). There is way too much to tell you to do. You need to search on your own. First, euro tails need to go right away. Same as the LED washer nozzles. Incredibly . Get clear/red tails. LED tails need to be made or ordered from Kevlo. Not cheap tho. Stillen kits can be found all over the place. Many places have them. Stillen has them for one, classifieds on here have them. You need to find one. Clear bumpers, smoked bumpers, AE headlights, new style 1 piece headlights, cefiro headlights, smoked tails, clear tails, the list goes on and on. There's just way too much to tell you to do. It's your car. Look on here and look and the member rides, get some ideas and search. Do not get rims before you drop the car tho. It will look horrible. No you don't need new calipers for bigger wheels. not sure where you got that from. You can upgrade to bigger calipers and that requires bigger rims. This post is long and all I really wanted to say was you need to search to find what you like. Haha.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:26 PM

before performance modes u should start with the suspensions, and since ur rolling with hubcabs that means ur car isn't an SE therefore don't have the sports tuned suspensions... get some, and THEN u can work on getting those performance mods done...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:27 PM

You might wanna consider waiting before completely ricing out your car...but hey... if that lifts your skirt....
LED tails are expensive but you might have some luck finding a set on these forums. (or you could make your own) You do not need to worry about your calipers if you put on 17" wheels. (why would you?) also... IMO if you wanna make your max look good... wash it and wax it and put some nice wheels on it with a bit of a drop (doesn't have to be a lot). Thats all I would do... oh wait.. I've done that. And whatever you do... don't put altezas on!!!

And you know what else looks good? A Y-pipe... only if your under the car... but it still looks good...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

It's also a question of what your budget is like, what the weather is like where you live, and what the roads are like where you will be driving. Are the streets full of potholes? Stay away from ultra-light rims that may bend, and large rims that will find their way into every pot-hole and do the same (unless you wreck your car dodging pot-holes first) Snowy out? Plan to have a set of bad-weather rims that are smaller in diameter and hopefully wide enough to give you a solid contact patch (and hopefully riding on good winter rubber). Hilly/bumpy roads? Your suspension work might all be for naught if you are bottoming out all the time or can't even get out of your driveway. Stay away from gaudy, heavy rims that will look horrible on your Max, and will wear out your axles and tranny. And for chrisssake, don't ride around on any rims larger than stock without LOWERING THE CAR! I shudder at the pics of my car with 17" rims but no drop.

The above just deals with 1/1000th of the issues you need to address for wheels/tires and suspension, just as a sample. We haven't gotten into what and how you are feeding your car, or how it is putting power to the ground, or how it is passing gas.

Most of the guys who give opinions on the org like a "sleeper". If you don't know what that is, well... If it looks like Nissan would never have put it on the car, think twice before YOU do...

This forum is beyond the book on the Maxima. Get to reading... Make your Max classy, 'cause that's what it's meant to be.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks for replys. Actually It did have the 5 spoke alum rims but the tires were so bad I had to use the winter tires ( with the hubcaps )
Old 11-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally like cdg2125 said I would do performance first. Even if you want to mod it for looks first and plan to mod under the hood later i'd get a y-pipe before anything. It only costs around $200 and you will be very happy with the results you get from it.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:51 PM

you should start by removing the blue led nozzles
Old 11-25-2006, 02:12 PM

Read the stickies, and de-rice your car.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by RichMax
It's also a question of what your budget is like, what the weather is like where you live, and what the roads are like where you will be driving. Are the streets full of potholes? Stay away from ultra-light rims that may bend, and large rims that will find their way into every pot-hole and do the same (unless you wreck your car dodging pot-holes first) Snowy out? Plan to have a set of bad-weather rims that are smaller in diameter and hopefully wide enough to give you a solid contact patch (and hopefully riding on good winter rubber). Hilly/bumpy roads? Your suspension work might all be for naught if you are bottoming out all the time or can't even get out of your driveway. Stay away from gaudy, heavy rims that will look horrible on your Max, and will wear out your axles and tranny. And for chrisssake, don't ride around on any rims larger than stock without LOWERING THE CAR! I shudder at the pics of my car with 17" rims but no drop.

The above just deals with 1/1000th of the issues you need to address for wheels/tires and suspension, just as a sample. We haven't gotten into what and how you are feeding your car, or how it is putting power to the ground, or how it is passing gas.

Most of the guys who give opinions on the org like a "sleeper". If you don't know what that is, well... If it looks like Nissan would never have put it on the car, think twice before YOU do...

This forum is beyond the book on the Maxima. Get to reading... Make your Max classy, 'cause that's what it's meant to be.
Actually the sleeper part is wrong. A sleeper is the idea of a stock look with massive performance gains. So the car looks stock but will rip you a new a$$hole on the track. The whole point of adding exterior mods is to add things that Nissan didn't put on the car.....
Old 11-25-2006, 03:34 PM

modifying (in my opinion) is about doing what you personally like to do, or make improvements in a way that YOU like. If your just going to do what everyone else is doing, or want people to tell you how to make your car look then i think your doing it for the wrong reason, or missing the point completely.
and if you've got BLUE led windsheild sprayers....you might want to do ALLLLLOT of research and put some thought into what your goals are....if your just trying to look "sick" or whatever just go to ebay man...
Old 11-25-2006, 04:53 PM

Budget stainless steel y-pipe (www.lssexhaust.com)

Front strut tower brace (FSTB)

Auto-RX for the engine (www.auto-rx.com)

Check the condition of all the fluids and replace/flush if necessary
Old 11-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Actually the sleeper part is wrong. A sleeper is the idea of a stock look with massive performance gains. So the car looks stock but will rip you a new a$$hole on the track. The whole point of adding exterior mods is to add things that Nissan didn't put on the car.....
Everyone has a different opinion... and while I certainly agree that yours is true, you may have missed the point of what i was saying.

Sleeper= it may not LOOK like a tuner or a heavily modded car, BUT...

Regardless of how "personal" modding makes a car, there are certain limits most of us agree upon, and other constraints that are entirely externalities. That "collective image" limits the car from being completely "personal". A bad thing, I think not.

A challenge: find one classy mod any of you would put on a Max that Nissan probably wouldn't if money were not a consideration. I don't think LED nozzles OR the types of cheezy altezzas I have seen make the list. Same goes for 3 foot-tall wings. Any takers?
Old 11-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by RichMax
Regardless of how "personal" modding makes a car, there are certain limits most of us agree upon, and other constraints that are entirely externalities. That "collective image" limits the car from being completely "personal". A bad thing, I think not.

A challenge: find one classy mod any of you would put on a Max that Nissan probably wouldn't if money were not a consideration. I don't think LED nozzles OR the types of cheezy altezzas I have seen make the list. Same goes for 3 foot-tall wings. Any takers?
i agree with that. end of thread please.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:48 PM

Thx for input guys. To be honest, i do like the led nozzles, i like all led lights. thats just me. I should have said in the beginning, I am looking for more of a look mod than preformance. Mainly because I know nothing about performance and its most likely outta my price range. I didnt even know about lowering. I will continue reading threads on this forum. My first car and im a beginner
Old 11-25-2006, 05:55 PM

most of these dolts dont know what they are talkign about anyhow. you did say at the beginning you wanted "Mostly exterior so far but some interior." and yet they still ramble on about y pipes, coil overs, thermo nuclear hyper drives etc. just look at the car, see what you like/dislike and then see if anyone can tell you how to do it. since you want some suggestions, LED interior lights, hinged trunk, new r34 headlights etc. and dont worry about being "rice" all nissans are japanese. keep the LED nozzles if you like them. its your car!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:03 PM
is invisible

The FAQs are a good place to start - postwhoring old threads for 15 posts isn't.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fog/Driving Light Modification on 4th Generations

First, I want to give credit to Bryan Breaux for his original contribution at http://maxima.bryanb.com/fog/fogrewire.html and/or http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=31 that I found here on these forums.

This post is to provide some additional photos, comments, and/or instructions that add to Bryan's original instructions following his step-by-step order here, based on my 1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited:

o The hex head screws for the coolant resevoir were 10mm only, there were no Phillips head slots on them.

My SE Limited has the five speed so the first photo is the one Bryan mentions as "I believe if you have a manual..." The manual transmission relay (gold/brown) is different from the other relays (blue) that must be removed.

o The hex head screws for the relay box were 10mm only, there were no Phillips head slots on them.

o The additional three feet of wire isn't long enough to reach the battery on the side of the engine compartment for the test step. I bought four feet and it would barely reach the positive post of the battery.

o I used 14 gauge wire and it required a 1/8" drill bit for the hole in the bottom of relay box.

o I had a hard time figuring out how to remove the corner light assembly. It wasn't clear to me where to insert the small screwdriver. I eventually figured out that it needed to be between the metal fender and the rubber gasket. However, *my* Maxima had a screw above the headlight that held the assembly in place. I was pretty stumped until I figured that one out. Here is a photo of that screw:

o My corner light assembly also had a male plastic thing-a-ma-jig that inserted into a rubber female whatchamacallit. A picture is worth...

o BUT! after removing the corner light assembly, I realized I could have avoided these steps because my corner light assembly had a connector that was easily accessible from under the hood. You can see where I identified it the above photo.

This shot attempts to get closer to the corner light assembly connector but it's kinda fuzzy.

I went ahead and followed Bryan's instructions since I had already removed the corner light assembly but folks should be able to splice/tap into the red/blue wire from above, without having to remove the corner light assembly.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:26 PM
wants an I35

this is my noob thread. it shows what i did over the months and how it looked stock vs now.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=556746
Old 05-26-2008, 04:46 PM

LED nozzles!!! FTW

haha but some serious feedback if u like it keep it personally i want underglow im sure ppl will flame me for that. but tint the windows and atleast put on a fake tail pipe. no one likes a rusty tail pipe! if u fogs Good. if u dont. get on that!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 AM
I love lamp.

I love lamp.