4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

few pics of egr tube removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM

few pics of egr tube removal

I removed/cleaned my egr tube to get rid of code 0302. Hacksawed part shown in the pic below using a similar http://www.toolshopusa.com/thumbnail...axx=300&maxy=0 so i could get a 12mm wrench on that bolt without removing the large pipe. Took me about 10 mins to hacksaw the tip of that bolt off. You probably can do it in under 5 mins if you are in a hurry. I did not remove anything else for this job besides the iacv and the egr tube.

EDIT
Egr tube location:
If you are looking at the iacv attach point from the driver's side fender, the upper part of the egr tube is to the right of it.

1st, 2nd and 4th pics were taken from underneath the car.

Last edited by nhaven; 09-18-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM

Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 AM

wow, can you say STORKE/HEART ATTACK!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM

right mine was that bad also...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea, the 4th gen egr design is awful. It will get clogged up in 15000 miles again. Ever since I did my 00VI swap my gas mileage has went from 20 mpg to 25 mpg mix driving. The increase to gas mileage can be due to nissan's redesign of the egr tube which allows more flow and let carbon buildup, which = better gas mileage.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM

do you think that seafoam would help to get rid of any of that?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by drewsblackmax
Theres nowhere for it to go but into the motor. You need to manually take it apart and clean all the components.

-matt
Old 11-08-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by drewsblackmax

Nope, that thing is solid as rock
Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 AM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

it's kinda hard to tell where this thing is located ... anyone have a better pic or tell me the general area ... sorry if this seems like a noob question ... thank you

Ali
Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 AM

is this the only way to clean this out?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by alleydawg6
it's kinda hard to tell where this thing is located ... anyone have a better pic or tell me the general area ... sorry if this seems like a noob question ... thank you

Ali
Firewall + driver side of the vq. If you are looking at the vq from the driver's side fender, its to the right of the iacv attach point. 1st, 2nd and 4th pics were taken from underneath the car. If you look at the 3rd pic of my #2 post, the upper part of the egr tube is attached to where the allen wrench exits the "chamber".
Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
is this the only way to clean this out?
No. You can also try this method written/done by sounbwoy

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=egr+sounbwoy
Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM

I don't have a code but I do have 150K on the odo.
Does this make it run quieter,smoother or anything? It seems like it would. That clog looks like it is choking the car!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by nhaven
No. You can also try this method written/done by sounbwoy

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=egr+sounbwoy
Do you have any improvement in mpg/performance after you cleaned it ? Do you feel any difference at all ?
Does egr tube affects mpg in city driving (short trips) ?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hunter11
I don't have a code but I do have 150K on the odo.
Does this make it run quieter,smoother or anything? It seems like it would. That clog looks like it is choking the car!
Car runs just about the same before and after the egr cleaning minus the occasional pinging.
Ohh, and no yellow light on the dash.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by matrix11229
Do you have any improvement in mpg/performance after you cleaned it ? Do you feel any difference at all ?
Does egr tube affects mpg in city driving (short trips) ?
Very little all around improvement, if any.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this still looks abit confusing still. I will try to take pics tomorrow to clear any confusion I still have. For some reason I can't not use the search function which totally sucks. Really limits lots of things.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by kowtipping
this still looks abit confusing still. I will try to take pics tomorrow to clear any confusion I still have. For some reason I can't not use the search function which totally sucks. Really limits lots of things.
If it sucks so much, just donate 20 bucks and info will be all yours.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Black Maxima

What are the part numbers for all the new gaskets, bolts, nuts?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Part Numbers

I to would like to know what the part numbers for all the new gaskets, bolts and nuts?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mlooking2
I to would like to know what the part numbers for all the new gaskets, bolts and nuts?
You brought this back from the dead

This time I appreciate it since the dreaded 0302 code popped up a couple of days ago. I checked the inlet on the plenum and it seemed pretty clogged. I've cleaned it a bit, but not much improvement. Right now my idle sounds like the car is running some high lift cams (without the attendant performance benefits ). I find the rpms tend to hang up when I coast to a stop & it bugs the hell out of me. I'm hoping someone can tell me how hard it is to remove that pipe on the EGR side.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Speed Racer ,Please Help

Originally Posted by speed racer
yea, the 4th gen egr design is awful. It will get clogged up in 15000 miles again. Ever since I did my 00VI swap my gas mileage has went from 20 mpg to 25 mpg mix driving. The increase to gas mileage can be due to nissan's redesign of the egr tube which allows more flow and let carbon buildup, which = better gas mileage.
Does Nissan Make a redesigned EGR Pipe ?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Quick EGR bypass

To aid in troubleshooting, what's the quickest/easiest way of doing this? Unplug hose to the EGR valve & plug it? I think I'm suffering from a plugged EGR hose which is causing the EGR to malfunction, allowing a vacuum leak.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:00 PM

EGR is a pipe And the car shops call it a Egr tube..NOT A HOSE.. Mine is blocked and I can't get it off..I'm going to pay a mechanic to take it off. Seems rusted on.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:49 PM

I had code 0302 and I took off the EGR tube this weekend to clean it and it was just as bad as the one pictured. I cleaned it out nicely and no more code. Wasn't hard to do either.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

i am having trouble realizing exactly which tube this is in the engine. i know its near the IACV, but i wanna know exactly, can anyone take a pic and highlight it, DONT zoomn in on the tube, just shoot the engine bay and point an arrow or highlight the tube itself.

if its not too much to ask - thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 PM
maxima985spd

It's hard to point out in a picture of the engine bay. The EGR tube is recessed under the throttle body and on the right side of the intake manifold. The tube also connects to the top back of the intake manifold which you can't see until you are kneeling on the radiator. If you take off the intake assembly, leaving the throttle body, you will be able to see it. I believe it's to the top right of the starter and ends on the intake manifold.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM

alright, i dont want to high jack this thread so i will apologize in advance, but its useless to create another thread just to ask a simple question to the OP who has done this and to everyone else:

I am planning to clean my TB by taking it off sometime soon, and also NEED to clean my IACV as my idle is at 550 normal no load no wabble.

is it best to clean the EGR tube at the same time while everything else is off the car ?

i also need a new KS so having the stock intake off would not hurt if i was to change it at that same time as well. The reason i ask is because i dont want to get confused with all the hoses and bolts and what came from where when i put everything back. i have done work on my engine before but never the things i am describing.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by buzpuck11
I had code 0302 and I took off the EGR tube this weekend to clean it and it was just as bad as the one pictured. I cleaned it out nicely and no more code. Wasn't hard to do either.
did you access it from above or beneath the car? i tried it one day a few weeks ago but because im a quitter, i gave up after a bit cuz i figured i would never get it off. I got the top two bolts off, but the other two i could barely get to. i may try to do the clothes hanger method through the IACV but my question is.....what happens if im pushing all the crap down further and possibly out of the other end of the pipe? hope that made sense...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by buzpuck11
wasn't hard?? how the heck did u get to it...i had my intake off and my throttle body and still couldnt find a way to get to it easy...i too gave up until i stare at my engine and figure out the easiest way to get to other side of the basterd
Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Sold

I had to use an adjustable spanner wrench, a pry bar and a fairly large hammer. Hit the wrench a few times with the pry bar placed on the wrench. Jack up the car and access it from the bottom to loosen it. One hand on the wrench and the other on the tranny. I had to come at it from in between the drivers side axle. Once I got the 31mm bolt loose ( I think that's the size) I was able to go at it from the top again. 1/4 turn at a time. I removed the plastic intake "resonator" and that was it. I left everything else on.
Once I got the egr valve off, I sprayed that sucker (egr tube) with some carb and choke cleaner and I kept on spraying until the fluid ran clear. Took almost a whole can, but I'm sure I got most of it.
I think next time, I'll just pay nissan the 170 canadian to clean it. My arm and knuckles are skinned almost down to the bone.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Hmm once the supra is out of the garage ill be doing this as well. Heck i should probably do a MEVI while I'm at it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Old Maxima Legend

man thats some nasty stuff, we took mine out a few months back and blocked it off, glad to be rid of that hunk of junk
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
man thats some nasty stuff, we took mine out a few months back and blocked it off, glad to be rid of that hunk of junk
How did you do that? Also does it affect the CEL
Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by maximized98
How did you do that? Also does it affect the CEL
Mines been off for 6 months now. Much cleaner intake runners and motor in general. I kept all of the pluggs, plugged in and the vac lines going to the EGR, plugged off. NO CEL

-matt
Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by matty
Mines been off for 6 months now. Much cleaner intake runners and motor in general. I kept all of the pluggs, plugged in and the vac lines going to the EGR, plugged off. NO CEL

-matt
Cool, you wouldn't want to show us how to plug it off would ya? I would love to do that, instead of trying to figure this 0302 code out
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=MaximaSpd85] did you access it from above or beneath the car? i tried .. [QUOTE]

You have to get the front tires on ramps or at least jack the drivers side up. Remove the two top bolts from the top(you know that already) and the bottom two from underneath the car.

EDIT: Actually the bottom bolt that is not block by the big tube was done from the top. You can see it in the 2nd pic(the socket wrench is on it) I posted in the 1st page. Sorry for the misinformation. I did this a while back.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Busted Knuckles

After considerable effort - and bloodied knuckles - I managed to remove the intake manifold and EGR "Guide Tube." Completely clogged. This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it's probably a good idea to also clean the port on the intake manifold where the EGR Guide Tube connects (it was also completely clogged. You'll probably want to remove the intake manifold to clean it out so that you don't throw carbon deposits into the engine.

After reinstalling the intake manifold, I'm unable to connect the EGR guide tube to the intake manifold. There's too much space between the connection flange and the intake manifold. Anyone else have this problem? Proposed solutions?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=andrei3333]is it best to clean the EGR tube at the same time while everything else is off the car ?[QUOTE]

If the passage where the allen wrench exits the chamber is clogged, its probably a good idea to clean the tube.

------------------

Here's another picture
Notice the puddle of intake cleaner in there indicating that it is clogged.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
i am having trouble realizing exactly which tube this is in the engine. i know its near the IACV, but i wanna know exactly, can anyone take a pic and highlight it, DONT zoomn in on the tube, just shoot the engine bay and point an arrow or highlight the tube itself.

if its not too much to ask - thanks
See the picture right above.

IACV attach point, and you can see the upper part of the egr tube(the rusty looking thing) to the right of it.

Quick Reply: few pics of egr tube removal