4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering Wheel Wobble.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 PM

Steering Wheel Wobble.

Ive had this wobble in the wheel since I got the car and have been trying to address it for the past few days but no luck. When I get up past 45mph or so I get a wobble in the wheel,pretty noticeable,about 1/2 in either direction if I let go of the wheel...the car tracks straight though,no pull. I tried balancing the wheels,no good...I tried another set of front rims/tires thinking maybe it was in the tire/rime but still there....any suggestions guys?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 PM

have you gotten an alignments?
examine inner and outter tie rods for excessive play?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM

No,was actually thinking about that on the ride home. I had asked a guy at a speed shop where I would get the alignment done but he said it could be the problem but he dont wanna gaurentee it will take the wobble away,so i said fine but the he seemed kinda hesitant to do it,like I was gonna freak out if it didnt fix it..I told him if the tie rods were worn he could replace them first if need be and he seemed more okay about it,gonna go Monday at about noon so we'll see...thanks bro
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 AM

my first guess would have been the tires, but since thats not the case in this situation, does this occur while your driving under 45 at all? something like thsi happened to my old car and all i had to do was get a new set of tires.. gl with your issue..
Old 09-24-2006, 10:49 AM

it's your tires dude...same thing was happeneing to my 99 and found out that it was the tires...got new ones and it all went away.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You should probably get all your bushings checked out as well, like the end-link bushings, control arm bushings, etc.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:08 PM

Yea im gonna go to a shop 2moro to have it aligned,they also gonna check bushings and stuff. Yea I tries new tires and new rims...first i had my stock 15's on there and it was happening,then put new tires on them rims and nothing,still there. Then I bough a set of 17 Nissan rims with Michelins already on there,still there....then tried new Goodyear's on the 17's and still there,I mean i didnt min d buying the rims as I wanted them anyway but its just driving me nuts now. Yea I would say the "movement" is still there under 45 but speed definitly brings it out,under 45 seems too slow for it to be noticeable,but I would say its still there....man I hope they can fix this, I do about 90% city driving but I drive the streets I drive are mostly 4 four lane streets(Broad street and Deleware Ave for any local guys) and 45 is pretty much the cruising speed so any passing and its there and pissing me off.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 AM

+1 for the control arm bushings. I had the same problem, until i got the LCA bushings replaced
Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 AM

I had the same problem too and the people at the shop said my hub bearing was all ****ed up. Replaced it and my car is fine now
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 AM

do you have all matching tires? not only meaning brand but speed rating too? cause when i got my car it had all different tires (friggin auctions) and my steering wheel wobbled. i also just replaced a bad tie rod, but never had a problem with the steering wheel shaking for it. so unless mine wasnt that bad than i dont think its your tie rods
Old 09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
i has college

I'd check the tires. I drove my friend's legend one day and it was wobbly as hell, I checked and his left tire was shot.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So what fixed your issue? I have the samething going on. When just letting the car idle and taking my foot off the brake you can see the steering wheel slowly do a shift to the driverside.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM

Nah my car dont do it at idle....I had the car aligned but it still does it.This guy was a nimrod too,I asked him since the alignment didnt correct the problem could he find any bad suspension components that need replacing,he says no but there has to be some kinda problem. Yea all the tires match,brand,speed rating the whole deal. I have a really nice set 17's I wanna put on thee car but I tried them too and still wobbles so i took them off and put the stock 15's back on until I can resolve this. Any of you guys in the Philly area? Maybe I could get someone to take a ride with me and give me some input? It actually seems to be getting worse whick leads me to believe it has to be something worn and getting worse....between this and the starter problem Ive been having Im getting nuts,I love this car and have already bought so much stuff for it,although I havent installed anything yet cause I really wanna get these quirks worked out first.As soon as i get over 45mph or so,the wheel kinda "wobbles" back and forth about a half inch or so...you can feel it in the car aswell,not just in the wheel but you can actually see the wheel bounce,yet the car tracks straight as an arrow.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 AM

Same here. They changed the bushings and ball-joints then the problem went away.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Oh yea? Thats what Im gonna try,How much did it cost you?Did you do the work or a shop? I gotta try that but this week is starter priority,it crapped out totally this morning,just went and bought it probably gonna put it in tomorrow afternoon then Im gonna start with this wobble.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 PM
iAMIXAM!

i wanna know to.....
Old 10-14-2006, 04:56 AM

mine's the steering rack bushings. may want to look into them, but its not a small job
Old 10-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steering Wheel Wobbled and Car Shook at High Speed.

My '96 Maxi was ridding ruff and the steering wheel would turn slightly both ways when going over 45+. I bought brand new tires and decided to finally change my struts (boots where torn), when I went to put the tire back on (my front passenger side), and torque the lugs I noticed the tire rocked. I held the whole tire and it would wiggle a bit (about .25 inches back and forth). I had to get it aligned anyways, and i thought that it might fix the problem. When I picked the car up it shook like hell (WAY WORSE THAN BEFORE). I took it back and about an hour later they told me that it was the INNER TIE ROD. They wanted $206 for parts and labor. I told them that I would change myself and bring it back. I looked at the tie rods and found that the boots were torn and pulling on the tire again I could see plain as day that the inner tie rods were definetly bad (the ball part would move in and out slightly, but enough to be bad). I ordered the parts off e-bay for $28 for 2 inner tie rods. I still have to price the boots. Usually only NAPA carries boots and stuff like that (cheaper than Nissan).
Old 10-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Control arm bushings and new inner & outer tie rods fixed it for me

Now I have a squeak and a clunk going over bumps so I'm going to change out the endlinks
Old 10-14-2006, 04:26 PM

Have you tried a carfax report, not being an ahole, but if someone can check it for you fo free it may be worth it unless you know the cars complete history already.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:15 PM

i got the same prob it my 95 cefiro i gota flat spot it each front wheel from locking up at 160ish didnt see the intersectoin cuming up so fast lol
Old 10-14-2006, 05:19 PM

either go for an alignment, or maybe u just need to tighten the steering wheel...
Old 10-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ethnic6
either go for an alignment, or maybe u just need to tighten the steering wheel...
how do you tighten the steering wheel?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
Lol..yea that would be new to me too. Well I put the starter in this afternoon and all is good with that so Tuesday Im gonna start with this wobble. Yea Im lucky enough to know the history of the car,its was a friend of mines father-in-law. Wife drove it mostly,no accidents. The wife scratched the hell outte the driver side rear quarter panel and for whatever reason replaced it rather than repairing so the color of that panel is off ever so slightly but other than that,nothing. I think Im gonna try the LCA's first,then whatever is cheapest,hopefully it can resolved with the LCA's since Im pretty sure they are original and the car has 110,000 miles on it. When the preious owner had it,mainly highway,it had 107,000 when I got it and the last 3000 miles Ive put on it have been pretty rough city miles,Philadelphia streets are terrible lately.....manholes,potholes,trolley tracks and to boot 3/4 of my daily work travel is done on a street that has been "grated" I think they call it,like when they make it all ****ty before re-paving it,well its been like that for about 6 months now and the manhole covers stick up about 3-4 inches...ouch everytime.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:08 PM

Lol..yea that would be new to me too. Well I put the starter in this afternoon and all is good with that so Tuesday Im gonna start with this wobble. Yea Im lucky enough to know the history of the car,its was a friend of mines father-in-law. Wife drove it mostly,no accidents. The wife scratched the hell outte the driver side rear quarter panel and for whatever reason replaced it rather than repairing so the color of that panel is off ever so slightly but other than that,nothing. I think Im gonna try the LCA's first,then whatever is cheapest,hopefully it can resolved with the LCA's since Im pretty sure they are original and the car has 110,000 miles on it. When the preious owner had it,mainly highway,it had 107,000 when I got it and the last 3000 miles Ive put on it have been pretty rough city miles,Philadelphia streets are terrible lately.....manholes,potholes,trolley tracks and to boot 3/4 of my daily work travel is done on a street that has been "grated" I think they call it,like when they make it all ****ty before re-paving it,well its been like that for about 6 months now and the manhole covers stick up about 3-4 inches...ouch everytime.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM

My car had the same problem when I just bought it. It so happened that the previous owner bent the front right tie rod.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM

My car had the same problem when I just bought it. It so happened that the previous owner bent the front right tie rod.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Godson

jack the fornt of the car up so both wheels are off the ground. put your hands on the wheels at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6. and shake the wheel back and forth. if it wobbles at 3 and 9 you have a tie rod, rack bushing problem. if it wobbles at 12 and 6 then you have a ball joint, possible LCA problem. when you know which it is, have ab buddy shake the wheel while you look to see which one has play in it.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM

how long it be liek that
Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 PM

jack the fornt of the car up so both wheels are off the ground. put your hands on the wheels at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6. and shake the wheel back and forth. if it wobbles at 3 and 9 you have a tie rod, rack bushing problem. if it wobbles at 12 and 6 then you have a ball joint, possible LCA problem. when you know which it is, have ab buddy shake the wheel while you look to see which one has play in it.
Wow...we must be on like brain wave patterns today....this afternoon after the Eagles crapped out me and my boy went outaide cause I decided to try this method. I just cant understand it though....there is virtually no wobble at any angle.At the 12&6 it has very,very small play and at &9 none at all.Could this very small amount of play cause the wobble?The wobble seems to extreme for such a small amount of play....I actually anticipated it having lots of play but cant believe it...Im getting insane with this,the wobble is bothering me sooo much anymore Im about to just take it to the stealership and as long as it leaves with NO WOBBLE,price could be justified. I just dont know anymore....
Old 10-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Godson
Wow...we must be on like brain wave patterns today....this afternoon after the Eagles crapped out me and my boy went outaide cause I decided to try this method. I just cant understand it though....there is virtually no wobble at any angle.At the 12&6 it has very,very small play and at &9 none at all.Could this very small amount of play cause the wobble?The wobble seems to extreme for such a small amount of play....I actually anticipated it having lots of play but cant believe it...Im getting insane with this,the wobble is bothering me sooo much anymore Im about to just take it to the stealership and as long as it leaves with NO WOBBLE,price could be justified. I just dont know anymore....
stupid question, its not at a certain speed or while braking is it?