4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car wont rev above 2000 rpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:19 PM
4th Gen Parts King

car wont rev above 2000 rpms

I have changed the maf already and the problem persists. I have not checked the wiring yet. I may have some time in the morning. Is there anything else which will cause this problem? No cel at all and no codes.

A little back ground. The engine was replaced about a month ago. I have only driven the car maybe 100 miles and it was fine.The hood has been off the car and it has rained. I also did some welding on the car the other day. The neg battery cable was off the battery though. I thought i reved the car after the welding and it was fine but i never drove the car.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

RPM's limited to ~2000 points directly to a bad MAF sensor.
Check the sensor and the circuit.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea, if it can't rev passed 2000 than that means its directly related to the maf. Does the car shut off right away if you try to rev pass it? that's also a sympton of a disconnected maf
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 AM
4th Gen Parts King

The maf is not disconected. At 2000 rpms the car acts like it's hitting the rev limiter and chugs.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Maxima Owner

did u get the MAF used...its possible it could be bad
Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
did u get the MAF used...its possible it could be bad
It came from one of my other runing cars.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:57 AM

Definatly sounds like the MAF...
Old 09-23-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by fanaticrockford
It came from one of my other runing cars.
then it probably went bad...

u can get one from www.pinnaclenissan.com
Old 09-23-2006, 01:42 PM
VIP Maxima

MAF sensor plug loose ?

Old 09-23-2006, 07:03 PM

throttle position sensor
Old 09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Like i said guys the plug is not loose. When the car started doing it i removed the maf and installed one from another car that i drive around everyday and the problem is still there. So the maf is good.
I really don't see how a tps could cause this problem but will check.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Custom User Title

When I had my modified 2k2 TB, the TPS got knocked out of place and caused my engine not to rev over 2.5k ish rpm's... Check it using a voltmeter.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 PM
4th Gen Parts King

I tried a 3rd maf and the problem is still there. When i first start the car and it idles high i can rev it to redline. As soon as the car warms up then it won't go past 2k. So we may be on to something with the tps. I did unplug it but it didn't change anything. I have had problems with other tps' when they got wet.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:29 PM

You need to use a voltmeter and make sure that there is a good connection to the sensor ... someone had to repush the wires in or resolder ... can't remember which. Afterward, all was fixed.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Offset Is Everything.

check the wiring. you may have a short somewhere.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:08 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Ok guys i really need your help on this one.
The maf is in 100% working condition.
I have changed the plug for the maf.
There is power to the maf
There is no breaks in the wire for the ground and input signal from the maf to the ecu. There was continuity for both wires.

The tps checked out good. The resistence was within spec.
There is power to the tps
The ground is good.
Input signal has continuity from tps to ecu.
I even removed the tb with tps and replaced it with one from a running car.
I also tried a diffrent ecu.

The problem is still there after all of that.
I did get it to rev up to the redline buy pressing the gas while i was cranking the car over. After a second the rpms would drop on ther own to 2k and it wouldn't rev past that.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:14 PM

This may sound stupid but have you pulled your codes? Make sure you check engine light even works. This may be the odd case where your CEL is disconnected/not working and you have a code.

Check by putting your car in the on position, but do not crank.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:21 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by scrhale
This may sound stupid but have you pulled your codes? Make sure you check engine light even works. This may be the odd case where your CEL is disconnected/not working and you have a code.

Check by putting your car in the on position, but do not crank.
There is no cel or codes. The light does work as with all the dummy lights with the car in the on position but not running.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Offset Is Everything.

get a new car?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:35 AM

Stealership + Consult = ??? + $$$
Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 AM

measure voltage during the engine running.my tps sensor doesnt work with the engine on.also unplug the tps sensor and see what happens
Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
4th Gen Parts King

I have unplugged the tps and even changed the entire tb with a tps and the problem didn't go away. I will check voltage with the car running. There is voltage with the ignition on but the car not running
Old 09-25-2006, 06:56 PM
4th Gen Parts King

The problem is fixed and the problem was the coolant temp sensor.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Did a CEL finally pop up?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Did a CEL finally pop up?
I didn't bother checking. I realized as soon as i tried starting the car the cooling fans were on at full speed. When the car was started the cooling fans stayed on even though the ac was off and the car was cold. So that told me the ecu was thinking the car was over heating and put it in safe mode not allowing the car to rev up.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

your car is not mean't to go past 60. D:
Old 09-26-2006, 01:41 PM

A very good observation about overheating. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor anyone?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 PM

I am having the same issue with the 2000 ropm's. I have a 1996 max 5 spd. however the fan does not go on as soon as I turn the car on. When I turn the ignition key the CEL does nopt come on either. I assume it's not working... Does this have anything to do with the car not going past 2000 rpm's I also just replaced the MAFS and still the same problem!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Check the wires on the MAF plug and make sure its not cut. I've also seen this happen when an ECU has gone bad.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM

ECU gone bad? How do they go bad? I am new and inxperienced.

1996 max 5 spd - won't go past 2000 rpm's in any gear - even idle

No CEL when I turn the key half way when all the dummy lights go on. My CEL went on and off for years - had the car 12 years - 242k on it!

I replaced the MAFS and that did not good unless I had a bad one and the new 1 was bad too...

The dealer said they would have to hook it up to the diag for $115 and see what the problem is but from what I am gathering that may not detect the problem. I aske dif they could just clear and reset the ECU cause I heard that may do the trick.

You are saying the ECU (electric control unit) may have gone bad? I heard (from this forum) that if I reset the ECU that may solve the issue.

I just don't know what to do here and any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by captchaos
ECU gone bad? How do they go bad? I am new and inxperienced.

1996 max 5 spd - won't go past 2000 rpm's in any gear - even idle

No CEL when I turn the key half way when all the dummy lights go on. My CEL went on and off for years - had the car 12 years - 242k on it!

I replaced the MAFS and that did not good unless I had a bad one and the new 1 was bad too...

The dealer said they would have to hook it up to the diag for $115 and see what the problem is but from what I am gathering that may not detect the problem. I aske dif they could just clear and reset the ECU cause I heard that may do the trick.

You are saying the ECU (electric control unit) may have gone bad? I heard (from this forum) that if I reset the ECU that may solve the issue.

I just don't know what to do here and any help would be appreciated!
If the lights don't turn on at all then it is burned. I am certain that you have a code in your ECU. Before wasting money on things tha may not be the problem, most local stores like kragen and autozone will connect a scanner to your car for free.

Better yet, you can buy your own scanner for the price the dealer wants to charge you. It allows you to scan the ecu for the problem and reset it for a temporary fix. I had a clogged EGR which caused 2 codes. 1 would return a few miles after being reset and the other would appear about twice a month which would cause my rpms to be limited (limp mode). You plug the scanner to that little plug right under you the driver-side dash, scan and reset so you can drive to get it repaired.

Last edited by EsQueue; 05-25-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Auto zone said they can only check for codes (run a scan) if the Check Engine Light is on. They said otherwise it won't work. Are you saying that the CEL is just not lighting up and they can still run for the codes? I am getting a little lost here...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 PM

some codes ghost and wont illuminate a CEL or SES, but in this case i wouldnt assume so.. MAF's are usually pretty straight forward.. Where did you get the MAF you replaced your old one with from? Test MAF, Test Wiring, Test ECU; in that order.

resetting the ECU will just make the ECU rerun the diagnostics.. However that may be a good idea temporarally... Attempt to reset it and than try to rev her up past 2K, might help you figure out whats the culprit..

Also if you have a multimeter you can Ohm out the MAF, youll need to find the correct ratings in the FSM. Theres a Link in my Sig.

If all else fails bring that MAF back to the Dealer or whoever and get your money back; also i have one for sale for cheap if you come into the market for one.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Auto zone said they can only check for codes (run a scan) if the Check Engine Light is on. They said otherwise it won't work. Are you saying that the CEL is just not lighting up and they can still run for the codes? I am getting a little lost here...
Tell them that your light is blown. If your light is blown like your situation then I can't light. The fact that when you turn your key and all the dummy lights illuminate besides the CEL tells you that the light is blown. Before wasting your money on anything else, find a way for them to scan it. Ask them if you can rent the scanner. They have a great rental program where they return 100% of the money you pay when you return the item. I don't know if scanners are rented though.

Last edited by EsQueue; 05-25-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Tell them that your light is blown. If your light is blown like your situation then I can't light. The fact that when you turn your key and all the dummy lights illuminate besides the CEL tells you that the light is blown. Before wasting your money on anything else, find a way for them to scan it. Ask them if you can rent the scanner. They have a great rental program where they return 100% of the money you pay when you return the item. I don't know if scanners are rented though.

I think Autozone will do the scan based on that. I can do that. OK when they do that then what? I am getting 2 different answers here. First said check MAFS and the wires etc... The 2nd said to get car scanned and pull the codes and then what do I do from there? If they reset the ECU will that do the trick? Could I have a bad ECU?

GRRRR I am getting confused now.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM

I should have gotten my original MAFS tested first but I read so much on the fact that the MAFS is the culprit when it comes to the car not going past 2000 rpms in any gear. Guys please tak to me like I am 10. I am having a hard time understanding the lingo and the abbreviations and the wording in general. It's all new to me. I just know that if I take it to the dealer like I did today (after I took it to Pep Boys last week to have them replace the MAFS) then they want $115 to hook it up to the diagnostic. I do not know if that is a good or bad idea. I do not know what ghost codes are etc... I am actually a little lost and confused.... Please if you respond please explain like I am a child - laments terms please!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Can AutoZone reset the ECU as well?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:41 PM

I think Autozone will do the scan based on that. I can do that. OK when they do that then what? I am getting 2 different answers here. First said check MAFS and the wires etc... The 2nd said to get car scanned and pull the codes and then what do I do from there? If they reset the ECU will that do the trick? Could I have a bad ECU?

GRRRR I am getting confused now.
First of all, you should always try the cheapest solution for a problem first before blowing money. What I am telling you to do is FREE so that should be done first before you buy new ECUs.

Ok, your car has a computer (ecu) that pretty much controls the car. If the car detects any problem with it will will light up the check engine light to tell you that there is a problem. Your problem is that your light is blown or has a short circuit so it can't light but the problem is still there and it will show up in a scan. Some of the problems that the car detects will cause it to go into a protection mode called limp mode which will limit the RPMs in an attemp to keep the engine safe. Autozone have a scanner that will tell you exactly what sensor that has a problem in your computer and their scanner can also reset your ECU so that it should drive ok until it finds the problem again.

So, don't waste anymore money and get it scanned which will tell you what is wrong. You can either repair the problem and then bring the car back to autozone for them to reset the ECU or just reset it but the problem will come back after the ECU detects it again.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Auto zone said they can only check for codes (run a scan) if the Check Engine Light is on. They said otherwise it won't work.
Don't ask the genious behind the counter in AZ to pull the code,Just ask him to give you the scanner and check by yourself
Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM

OK I got all of that. Thanks you for breaking it all down. Now I did have the MAFS replaced last week at Pep Boys and the problem was still present after I picked the car up. Could it be that the problem was the MAFS and the fact that the ECU was not reset be the fix? Does the ECU have to be reset after a fix like that is done? I will do this 1st thing in the morning...

Quick Reply: car wont rev above 2000 rpms