4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Noob Question: GR2s + Maxspeeds= ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Noob Question: GR2s + Maxspeeds= ?

I posted this in the noob thread first, but got no anwser. I saw the GR2's in the GD forum for a super cheap price. I know they aren't the best, but they are cheap. I would like to know if these would pair with maxspeed springs nicely, or would the ride be really hard? Any experience with this shock/spring combo would be great, as well as experience with GR2 shocks or Maxspeed springs.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 AM

Hi Noob,

I've had this setup for 2 years. It is not harsh and rides comfortably. You wont regret it for the $300 dollars that you spend. It def rides better than stock and gives an even drop. If you're on a budget this is the way to go. Just make sure you change your strut bearings at the same time.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:30 AM

I think it depends on terrain as well right? If you guys have different streets it could cause issues. I've read that gr2's just arnt that good quality. There is a set for sale that I'm looking at to pair with h&r's. Price would be about 350 or so for the whole setup so that is a grab....keep checking around to see about them.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 AM

Wow...$300....$350....WHERE? I saw maxspeeds for $110 and GR2s in GD for $295. I can actually afford them now if I find them for $300 or $350 together.
It def rides better than stock and gives an even drop
P00tan6, do you have a system in your trunk (just wondering if that will make the rear sag any). Also where is the best place to get strut bearings?
Old 09-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by p00tan6
It def rides better than stock
The cheapest replacement strut plus the cheapest sport lowering spring does not in any way ride better then stock.
Your dreaming... YGWYP4
Old 09-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The cheapest replacement strut plus the cheapest sport lowering spring does not in any way ride better then stock.
Your dreaming... YGWYP4

Have you ever had that setup before?? Price is not always a measure of performance. And yes it does ride better than stock. You think the stock components are quality??? Thats why the stock shock blows even with the stock springs.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
Wow...$300....$350....WHERE? I saw maxspeeds for $110 and GR2s in GD for $295. I can actually afford them now if I find them for $300 or $350 together.

P00tan6, do you have a system in your trunk (just wondering if that will make the rear sag any). Also where is the best place to get strut bearings?

Yes i did have a system in my trunk and no it didnt sag. The best place to get strut bearings is from nissan. Try buynissanparts.com
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM

You should be able to get the whole set of GR2's for 240 shipped on ebay.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:20 PM

whys everyone love ebay so much? i dont trust it personally. ide rather just pay the extra cash and be sure im getting the real thing. i mean...its not like GR2s are that expensive in the first place (as far as shocks/struts go).
Old 09-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by willard00
whys everyone love ebay so much? i dont trust it personally. ide rather just pay the extra cash and be sure im getting the real thing. i mean...its not like GR2s are that expensive in the first place (as far as shocks/struts go).

I dont trust ebay that much either, but its more of the sellers that live in california that sell in bulk to make a quick dollar. I try to buy them from local stores who sell on ebay. I've bought a set of GR2's from some shop in illinois and the service and product was great.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Have you ever had that setup before?? Price is not always a measure of performance.
I've installed and driven on every possible spring/strut/coilover setup you can possibly put on a Maxima in my shop. Your on the bottom of the barrel with that setup. Price isn't a measure of performance, but quality and R&D are.

There's a reason a set of Eibachs or H&Rs cost $200 bucks and Maxspeed springs cost $89 bucks. There's also a reason Koni's and Illuminas run $400 and up and GR2's are $200 or less on Ebay.

Education and experiance will help you later in life.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have GR2's and Maxspeed's on my 99 along with 17's. I love the ride and the handling. It's a little hard on bumpy roads but I'm not driving a boat.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM

I've installed and driven on every possible spring/strut/coilover setup you can possibly put on a Maxima in my shop. Your on the bottom of the barrel with that setup. Price isn't a measure of performance, but quality and R&D are.

There's a reason a set of Eibachs or H&Rs cost $200 bucks and Maxspeed springs cost $89 bucks. There's also a reason Koni's and Illuminas run $400 and up and GR2's are $200 or less on Ebay.

The guy isnt trying to spend $700 on a suspension setup. To me it seems he's trying to spend the least amount of money as possible and GR2's and Maxspeed will do fine. You wont win this argument buddy. Its call marketing and thats why people pay more than they should . Education and experience after spending your life savings on some struts will help you later in life.

Why not just go out and buy a BMW???? The maxima suspension sucks. PERIOD. Why try to spend thousands of dollars to make it handle like a bimmer? If you want a car that handles good go buy an Accord.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM

You're 43 and still drive a maxima. I think i made my point.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bhunter
I have GR2's and Maxspeed's on my 99 along with 17's. I love the ride and the handling. It's a little hard on bumpy roads but I'm not driving a boat.

It rode fine didnt it for $300??? It is a little harsh during the winter but thats only 4 out of 12 months in the year.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Ichiban King

You're 43 and still drive a maxima. I think i made my point.
oh man you just asked for it.. but in pertinence to what NjMax was saying Maxspeeds are cheaper but are an excellent spring that ride in between Progress and Eibach pro-kits in terms of stiffness and spring rate. I've had all three.

obviously pro kits are the best for performance, but didn't drop enough IMO.

progress amazing in every way but could be a little tad stiffer for the X-cross.

lastly maxspeeds ride in between, so against all of my better judgement I had them cut to ride right about where progress do (approx. 1.7F & 1.5R) and they were that extra little bit stiffer and I loved that setup until I actually got my own set of progress and then thats what I rocked tell I sold em.

.. GR2's? Dont even talk to me. I would never ever utilize them. Tokico blues are better than that, so if you must get a stock replacement with no adjustable dampening please don't go KYB, AGX on the other hand rock. I used them all all three of the setups above just for the extra bit of stiffness, they're generally a little more harsh than illuminas which I liked in my case, anyways.

Now its coilover time. KSports FTW!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
What's next!?..

LOL. This should be pretty funny once Tom sees that comment about a bmw.

In any case, I've had the maxspeed/gr2 combo for 6 years now. They are OK for the money, but if you can wait a little while I'd definitely suggest getting a higher quality setup. My maxspeeds are cracking and getting rusty.

Time for a new suspension combo, or maybe just a new car completely.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by JPMax
LOL. This should be pretty funny once Tom sees that comment about a bmw.

In any case, I've had the maxspeed/gr2 combo for 6 years now. They are OK for the money, but if you can wait a little while I'd definitely suggest getting a higher quality setup. My maxspeeds are cracking and getting rusty.

Time for a new suspension combo, or maybe just a new car completely.

Exactly. they are ok for the money. After you drive a late model accord,maxima or any car with a sophisticated double wishbone suspension you'll never ride the maxima again.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Apparition
oh man you just asked for it.. but in pertinence to what NjMax was saying Maxspeeds are cheaper but are an excellent spring that ride in between Progress and Eibach pro-kits in terms of stiffness and spring rate. I've had all three.

obviously pro kits are the best for performance, but didn't drop enough IMO.

progress amazing in every way but could be a little tad stiffer for the X-cross.

lastly maxspeeds ride in between, so against all of my better judgement I had them cut to ride right about where progress do (approx. 1.7F & 1.5R) and they were that extra little bit stiffer and I loved that setup until I actually got my own set of progress and then thats what I rocked tell I sold em.

.. GR2's? Dont even talk to me. I would never ever utilize them. Tokico blues are better than that, so if you must get a stock replacement with no adjustable dampening please don't go KYB, AGX on the other hand rock. I used them all all three of the setups above just for the extra bit of stiffness, they're generally a little more harsh than illuminas which I liked in my case, anyways.

Now its coilover time. KSports FTW!
Asked for what? Some 43 year old who has nothing to do but stay on maxima.org and 11,000 posts? by now you'de think if he has nothing better to say than not to post. The guy simply asked for an alternative to spending $700 on a suspension setup.

AGX's? Those are probably the stiffest shock they make for the maxima, even at the lowest setting, but i guess that is subjective.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM

(Appologies for the "life story" in advance!)
Wow. Thanks for all of the response. Please try to keep it civalized in here though.

I do not want to spend $700 on suspension. I don't care if my car handles like a pro as long as it is better and lower than stock handling. I would like to get progress springs, however, GR2s don't work well with stiff or low springs, which removes progress's low drop from my list. Also, here in TN, the winters are nothing compared to northern states. The lowest temp. it normally drops in TN is around 20 degress F. They only salt the roads if there is a threat of a snow storm, and my max is garage kept which keeps it from the colder night temps. So, I shouldn't have to worry about premature wear of the maxspeeds.

Also the roads in TN are a little bumpy in some areas, and some parking lots have some pretty steep intrances, so I don't want a super low car. I am wanting to get bigger wheels and a lip kit on down the modding road, but as of now I'm 17 without a job (because I don't need one; I worked during the summer to cover insurance). I am, however, attempting to get a saturday job working in a Pharmacy to see if this is what career path I want to pursue. So if I get it, then I will have a little extra money to spend on mods or better suspension.