4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MEVI+CAI are in :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
homemade vacuum can ftw!
ya like that? cheap and impatient FTL
Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JSutter
ya like that? cheap and impatient FTL

i remember taking m80's apart and putting the powder into a pvc tube to make a kick *** firecracker.. ftw!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
u have insipred me to redo my battery terminals....I want to be just like you .....do u have a grounding kit too

same here i'ma get my terminals done sometime this weekend hopefully. along with a red top possibly since my postive terminal still leaks.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Maxima Owner

already have a yellow top
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 PM

man that looks awesome, how much of a gain have u felt since installing it, not dyno, I know u haven't done it yet just ur own personal feelings after driving it with a mevi?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I have a question a little off the subject ,but your saying not to use the mid pipe on the cai? It gives you more power with the stock resonater?? Where did you here this? Just wondering and one more thing is it a little quieter without the mid pipe?
thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by babymac
I have a question a little off the subject ,but your saying not to use the mid pipe on the cai? It gives you more power with the stock resonater?? Where did you here this? Just wondering and one more thing is it a little quieter without the mid pipe?
thanks
common knowledge amongst the few who actually know.. PRCAI+ stock resonator= FTMFW..
Old 09-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Bacon Lover

thanks
It is quieter with the stock midpipe and some claim it feels better when driving it.
Originally Posted by Apparition
common knowledge amongst the few who actually know.. PRCAI+ stock resonator= FTMFW..
For autos, yes. Personally I drive an auto and at this very moment have a PR midpipe on (short ram, the CAI pipe is off at the moment) and noticed no difference in driveability. My accordian section will be going back on with the 00VI install, but the actual midpipe "box" will remain off because it has to since I'd rather have an aftermarket midpipe than pay for a second accordian section.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

FTMFW..
Please translate??
Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Ichiban King

Please translate??
ahem.. For The Win, with some creativity.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

thanks....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Ichiban King

thanks....
np at all.. man Sutter that car looks fantastic. now SE-R clean-up time!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

thanks
Zack342 dyno'ed a JWT pop charger with and with out a the frankencar mid pipe. There were losses with the mid pipe. track testing shows no difference really.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

^^^ do u have anymore pics of ur PRCAI setup?? im thinking of trying it, but do u really have to cut a hole in ur fender?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by 95 maxima se
^^^ do u have anymore pics of ur PRCAI setup?? im thinking of trying it, but do u really have to cut a hole in ur fender?
yeah do damn well do.. haha, use a damn holesaw if you have one. I couldn't find mine the day I did it, but you'll be happier otherwise use a dremel like the rest of the populus.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:25 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Its really not that hard. i did mine with tin snips! It took a while , but i got it done.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Ichiban King

Its really not that hard. i did mine with tin snips! It took a while , but i got it done.
you are out of your damn mind.. but anyhow this is all .
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

It got the job done
Old 09-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by 95 maxima se
Theres just the few pix on my home page, yea you need to cut a hole next to the battery. I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutting disk. I made a rectangle so I can move it around some. A 3 or 3.5" hole saw is $30+ so forget that. Youll only use it once unless youre some sort of carpenter.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i dun whored up yo thread too, plus i dont care.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Maxima Owner

drill and air nibbler FTW
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

i have a 95 motor is goin out i order a mevi can i put it on a 00vi block and drop it in my car
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by clashez1983
i have a 95 motor is goin out i order a mevi can i put it on a 00vi block and drop it in my car
wat
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by clashez1983
Gravedigger.....

There are so many things wrong with what you said (or lack there of) I don't know where to begin.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
u have insipred me to redo my battery terminals....I want to be just like you .....do u have a grounding kit too
i have been inspired indeed...i shall do this along with my suspension bushings and grounding kit and other goodies.

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
i remember taking m80's apart and putting the powder into a pvc tube to make a kick *** firecracker.. ftw!
those were fun days...also, i'm not sure if anyone tried making them out of real gunpowder? we would get the cops called on us out here in LA...it was fun.

so the midpipe will harm it or is there a difference between the auto and manual transmissions. there are so many opinions going on and they are not really too detailed on whats what...

Originally Posted by Clashez
i think what hes trying to say is will a MEVI fit in a DE-K block...

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Gravedigger.....

There are so many things wrong with what you said (or lack there of) I don't know where to begin.

gravediggers are the business!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Why the **** are you bumping this thread with absolutely nothing useful to add?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Why the **** are you bumping this thread with absolutely nothing useful to add?
well i just needed clarification on the MEVI since i recently purchased one. Just looking for a good thread to help me clarify what will get me more low end power as far as having the MEVI+NWP spacers+JWT ECU go.

why start another thread if its going to get blocked?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM

00VI > MEVI in every rpm of the power band...

/thread
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
00VI > MEVI in every rpm of the power band...

/thread
even though this is true. i was looking for what good setups help keep some low end power with the MEVI. i do understand that you get some really good gains by combining it with the JWT ECU, but i want to add more than that...
Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by kidgrave
even though this is true. i was looking for what good setups help keep some low end power with the MEVI. i do understand that you get some really good gains by combining it with the JWT ECU, but i want to add more than that...
Then get an 00vi. That loss is gonna be there no matter what.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Chassis Freak

Have spent an hour searching for good info on air boxes, and this thread has some good info. (Thanks, JSutter.) 99% of posts on intakes are BS and it's so hard to find good info.

Little puzzled about the claim that stock midpipe/resonator gives better throttle response with PR CAI, but only for autos? Dubious.

I have a manual and have had PR CAI for years. Just trying to decide whether to go back to stock air back (hacked it way back in 2004 before getting CAI). What I don't like about the CAI is the filter is hard to access. Will probably try going back to stock midpipe and resonator...and replacing my cone filter, which is original....
Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I sold off the MEVI and CAI years ago but I sure miss them. The 00vi was a ***** to install in comparision.

I've tried several combinations of pipes over the years. Each has resulted in same times at the track.

The stock intake manifold has such a horrid sound. I like how the resonator cuts down on some of the noise. I used to think it was cool so the added noise of a short ram and mid pipe seemed worth it. I did notice short rams are crap for city driving due to heat.

I had a stock air box top with a B13 bottom, which had the air inlet on the fender side. I ran piping to get fresh air. It worked pretty good.

When I installed my 00vi I fab'ed up a mid pipe and reused my Stillen pop charger because I couldn't make the factory stuff fit around the ABS actuator.

Also when I had an SAFC I posted air flow readings of the stock box vs pop charger. Surprisingly the stock box seemed to out flow the pop charger.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Found it, modded stock setup vs cai
https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...sers-step.html

Oh and I fixed the broken pics in post 22
Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 PM

I sold off the MEVI and CAI years ago but I sure miss them. The 00vi was a ***** to install in comparision.

I've tried several combinations of pipes over the years. Each has resulted in same times at the track.

The stock intake manifold has such a horrid sound. I like how the resonator cuts down on some of the noise. I used to think it was cool so the added noise of a short ram and mid pipe seemed worth it. I did notice short rams are crap for city driving due to heat.

I had a stock air box top with a B13 bottom, which had the air inlet on the fender side. I ran piping to get fresh air. It worked pretty good.

When I installed my 00vi I fab'ed up a mid pipe and reused my Stillen pop charger because I couldn't make the factory stuff fit around the ABS actuator.

Also when I had an SAFC I posted air flow readings of the stock box vs pop charger. Surprisingly the stock box seemed to out flow the pop charger.
You know in my car i got slightly better throttle response with the pop charger vs stock box. Dunno why but that's the way it was.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Chassis Freak

Found it, modded stock setup vs cai
https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...sers-step.html

Oh and I fixed the broken pics in post 22
Thanks for the link! So the question then is, does peak flow really mean stock is better than CAI? There are probably all sorts of considerations because fluid dynamics is complicated, and each intake style does better or worse depending on the throttle position and operating conditions. How do you measure which is better overall? It does seem pretty clear that any changes to the intake are minor in terms of HP.

Given unlimited time and patience I'd probably have a go with a 5th gen airbox swap (can't find any write-ups though), but I've got better things to do now. Will just try with the stock midpipe and maybe the full hacked stock setup if I can find all the parts in my basement.

It's amusing how the prevailing Org wisdom is "anything is better than stock", but those of us who know better appreciate that the stock setup was designed, tested, and refined by Nissan engineers rather than some little company who probably did little to no testing. They will sell their cool-looking intake to the car enthusiast who thinks that anything is better than stock! Haha. No matter how inelegant, the stock parts usually work very well.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

We don't have huge engines. Unless you are making some serious horse power, the stock intake breathes just fine.

I think it really comes down to bragging rights. Guys like to show off shiny parts, brand names, and cars that make loud noises.