4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Does accelerating at 3000 RPM wear out the engine?
Yes, every time you do that your engine wears out a little.
13.71%
No, it makes no difference at this range.
74.86%
Dunno/don't care. I have enough money to get another car when this one dies.
11.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Do 3,000 RPM revs damage the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Do 3,000 RPM revs damage the engine?

Wazaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously now.. in the past few months I have been busier and have to get around faster so that now I rev up my car to 2500-3000 RPM often to pick up speed faster. Is that RPM range enough to wear out the engine or does it not make a difference?

For years because of excess of time and lack of gas money, I would never go beyond 2000 RPM to accelerate.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 PM
MaximaDriver

dude you drive like my grandpa. sorry even he drives faster.
i rev my engine up to 6500-6600 rpm and its still strong as hell
Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 PM

are you kidding? come on now, you drive a Maxima! You have one of the best engine's on the road, use it!

you really should rev it up to at least 3500-4000 every once in awhile to help burn carbon out of the engine.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 PM

r u Auto or Manual?

if your Manual i think you actually damage ur engine if your shift below 3k in the 1st & 2nd not sure when I had my other car i'd shift @ 6K never noticed any problems.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 PM

NO ITS A VQ.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by Thorby
Wazaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously now.. in the past few months I have been busier and have to get around faster so that now I rev up my car to 2500-3000 RPM often to pick up speed faster. Is that RPM range enough to wear out the engine or does it not make a difference?

For years because of excess of time and lack of gas money, I would never go beyond 2000 RPM to accelerate.
Its because of drivers like you that there is road rage. Taking your sweet granny time to get up to 40. The gas you are saving in shifting at 2Krpm instead of 3Krpm is not even worth talking about. Drive normally and pickup pennies off the floor, you will get your money back and more.

He most likely has an auto, shifting at 2Krpm from 1st to second is damn near crazy talk. You will be in 2nd gear at about 1.5Krpm working your engine like a hooooooa.

My 2 cents
Old 09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
I support for what?

I hope I am misunderstanding that. I have never heard of such. If you dont rev past 3000 rpms go get a scooter. you wont damage anything unless you overrev when you downshift.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by devilz05
Its because of drivers like you that there is road rage. Taking your sweet granny time to get up to 40. The gas you are saving in shifting at 2Krpm instead of 3Krpm is not even worth talking about. Drive normally and pickup pennies off the floor, you will get your money back and more.

He most likely has an auto, shifting at 2Krpm from 1st to second is damn near crazy talk. You will be in 2nd gear at about 1.5Krpm working your engine like a hooooooa.

My 2 cents

In the heavy traffic here, revving to 3000 when the light goes green actually gets me ahead of the crowd. Maybe people here just don't have such nice cars as they do in the U.S. so they don't all dart away at the green light.

I really don't get what you're saying! Accelerating at around 2000 from a stop light doesn't stop any traffic at all. Maybe you are one of those guys who like to redline their car often, leaving the crowd miles behind.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
NO ITS A VQ.

+1 my auto gets driven harder than 3k wtf dude
Old 09-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by Thorby

In the heavy traffic here, revving to 3000 when the light goes green actually gets me ahead of the crowd. Maybe people here just don't have such nice cars as they do in the U.S. so they don't all dart away at the green light.

I really don't get what you're saying! Accelerating at around 2000 from a stop light doesn't stop any traffic at all. Maybe you are one of those guys who like to redline their car often, leaving the crowd miles behind.
I was just busting your ***** but here is what Im saying. You are at a red light with 15 cars behind you. The light turns green, you casually wipe the sweat dripping off your top lip and staining your dentures, gently press the gas, slowly but surely reach 20 miles per hour without a care in the world. Now im car number 11 behind your wrinkly a$$ and instead of driving to my destination im now car number 4 at the same redlight. Take your time when you're driving alone on the road, not when in traffic.

Hehe
Old 09-09-2006, 03:26 PM

LoL My friend was just asking me about this.... ANYTHING is bad for your engine, running it is bad... jezus crised but that dont stop you from turning that key everytime. 3k 4k 5k 6 or 6.5 dont matter id say the only thing you should worrie bout is your clutch other than that these engines are strong as bull so you got nothing to worrie about with blowing it.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by UkiSash
...these engines are strong as bull so you got nothing to worrie about with blowing it.
Hearing that made me smile a little...
Old 09-09-2006, 03:49 PM

Accerating slowly will save you gas, but the VQ engine is barely breaking a sweat at 3,000 RPM. Give it some f'n gas.

If you don't push your max every once in a while your engine will never get hot enough to run the way it's supposed too.

Only "driving to and back from church every sunday" is NOT what your engine was designed for, get on the highway and put some high-speed, high-rev miles behind you.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People like you cause accidents because people like me are forced to pass you.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 PM
on the G coupe bandwagon

You'll be fine, I've got an auto with 140k and I still take put the pedal down and take it up to 5k when I'm feeling spirited. Sure do wish I had a 5spd though... *starts looking at his bank account*
Old 09-09-2006, 05:01 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

saving gas has nothing to do with it, the amount is miniscule
Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by olsona5
If you don't push your max every once in a while your engine will never get hot enough to run the way it's supposed too.
Uh, not exactly. It's good to wring your car out every now and then to clear out the pipes, so to speak, but it doesn't have much to do with engine heat, and your engine will reach operating temperature in a few minutes no matter what unless your thermostat is somehow malfunctioning.

And at the OP, what the christ? 3000rpm is nothing unless you're driving some crazy large-stroke diesel, in which case it's still usually ok. The engine in your car, especially, has microfinished internals and will last upwards of 300k miles, no matter if you redline it daily or drive like a granny.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these engines are designed to be able to withstand regular near-redlining.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does accelerating at 3000 RPM damage the engine

Strictly speaking, every time you fire up any engine some degree of wear takes place. That said, Nissan build great engines with the VQ 'red-lined' at 6600 RPM and it can be safely operated up to that RPM. Obviously there are many good reasons not to accelerate any harder than is required for any given situation. More wear takes place at start-up than at any other phase of operation and if the engine is operated within limits it will last a long time provided high quality oil is used and maintenance is carried out as per schedule.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:18 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

the more i see this thread the more pissed i get. I demand you give me your 5spd now and go buy a toyota yaris or something.

Dammit.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:21 PM

MAN does anyone else FEEL GOOD when there at a light and their sound system is all the way up and everyone looks at you and when that frikkin light turns green u just FLOOR IT and leave everyone Behind! MAN WHAT A RUSH, F*CK YEAH! LOL!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter
MAN does anyone else FEEL GOOD when there at a light and their sound system is all the way up and everyone looks at you and when that frikkin light turns green u just FLOOR IT and leave everyone Behind! MAN WHAT A RUSH, F*CK YEAH! LOL!
I don't encourage idiots driving like idiots.

But driving like an idiot feels awesome.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Maxima Owner

6k everyday or go home
Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
I don't encourage idiots driving like idiots.

But driving like an idiot feels awesome.

I don't drive like an Idiot, i'm a very careful driver that has never been pulled over by the Po-Po but sometimes you gotta lighten up and give the rest of the world a very well deserved F*CK YOU cuz in the end, the fun things you do in life are what make your life worthwhile, everything else (your career, your job, your school, etc.) is Bullsh*t

This is coming from a guy who has starred DEATH in the face twice...
Old 09-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey, give this guy a break! I don't know much about where he lives, but if he drives around in lots of traffic in urban areas, he'll be going waaay past the speed limits most of the time if he follows your suggestions. During the week while commuting to work and back, there's only one short section of road where I can take my max past 3000 RPM without going 20kph over the limit or hitting the car in front of me. (and most of the time there's nothing but cars in front of me)

Reality is, it's only on the weekends that I can get on roads where I can visit the higher RPM's relatively safely.

Now, if he does live where he can wind up the VQ without risking jail time, then... no excuse
Old 09-09-2006, 07:36 PM

this thread makes me smile
Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM

I don't drive like an Idiot, i'm a very careful driver that has never been pulled over by the Po-Po but sometimes you gotta lighten up and give the rest of the world a very well deserved F*CK YOU cuz in the end, the fun things you do in life are what make your life worthwhile, everything else (your career, your job, your school, etc.) is Bullsh*t

I think you misunderstood. I meant, if some idiot with an SUV and spinnaz is bumping some tunes next to me, I don't encourage him to display how hard he can mash the gas pedal/how fast he can take his top-heavy POS. But I have been known on more than one occasion to needlessly row the gears redline to redline when the light turns green.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 PM

i would love to see your gas mileage while your doing 3k RPMS.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM

great perspective on life
Old 09-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by konak85
great perspective on life
As long as you keep yourself in check, I completely agree with what he's saying. Life is worthless if you can't have fun.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Ok look. If you have a stick, the best way to save gas is to quickly get to 2K and shift, and stay in the highest gear possible the whole drive. Staying at that low in RPM,s creates carbon build up, which can lead to carbon lock. That's why you're supposed to make a spirited run (just go for the redline) at least once or twice a drive to purge the fuel injectors and what not. Autos, is similar, take her for a spirited sprint once or twice a day, and try to keep under 2K cruising around.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 PM

ya man I don't even know why you would own a maxima if you wouldn't ever wind it out a bit, or at the minimum, drive it normally. How do you not get honks?
Old 09-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by thatcarguy350
Ok look. If you have a stick, the best way to save gas is to quickly get to 2K and shift, and stay in the highest gear possible the whole drive. Staying at that low in RPM,s creates carbon build up, which can lead to carbon lock. That's why you're supposed to make a spirited run (just go for the redline) at least once or twice a drive to purge the fuel injectors and what not. Autos, is similar, take her for a spirited sprint once or twice a day, and try to keep under 2K cruising around.
I dont know if you drive a 5spd or not but shifting at 2k into 2nd gear is too low, 2.5 Id say is optimal. I dont think there is anypoint in putting your car into 5th going 30mph unless you dont plant on doing any accelerating. All that shifting will probably cost you more in the end than just keeping it 1 gear lower and a little higher in the rpms. You put it into whichever gear is optimal for the type of situation you are in. Those who drive stick know exactly what Im talking about. Driving stick is as much feel as anything else, as you get accustomed to your car you know exactly how she likes it.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

seriously, this forum has gone to crap. Close this thread please.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by tavarish
seriously, this forum has gone to crap. Close this thread please.

its good for a forum to have a light hearted thread like this once in a while...clears away the carbon build up.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 AM

is shift at redline at least 10 times a day
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 AM
SLOW

You shouldn't rev your car over about 1500rpm, ever. Engine life expectancy will be reduced to weeks, if not days when you do this even once. Your engine is going to self destruct and it's all your fault for having run the revs up so high. Shame on you.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by thatcarguy350
Thats stupid. When i feel like it later im going to find the thread where irish and i THINK nismo explained why people who think this are also stupid.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:13 AM

I don't drive like that!!! It's way to slow. That's to save gas. I shift around 2.5 - 3.5. You have to remember, after 60 you burn alot more gas the faster you go. But who cares, there's no fun in that.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i love driving 2krpms, then i get impatient and gun it! :>)

Quick Reply: Do 3,000 RPM revs damage the engine?