4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Ball Joints FTL!!! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Depite the objections of Apparition, this thread should not die. For the sake of you fellow maxima.org members.

Try to replace the boot on one of these ball joints / control arms from arm_can and you will find that it cannot be replaced because it is glued on. Seriously!

The circlip that leads you to believe it is a real boot sits on a steel part, holding nothing but itself!

I have replaced real OEM boots before (those were not on a max), and it is the clip that holds the boot on.

Look back at Dubbya's photos at the top of this thread, notice where the rubber boot ends. It is glued above the circlip. They are probably the same brand or manufacturer as arm_can's wares.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by kcryan
damn fleabay
Well, I got a foglamp replacement for $41, instead of $127 which OEM costs with 30% off ($185 list). The $41 part is identical to OEM so I was happy saving the money. Maybe it's no good for wear items...
Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by kcryan
damn fleabay
Didn't you mean to say, "Damn the idiot who sold me cheap parts"?

eBay doesn't have anything to do with the cheap parts.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Didn't you mean to say, "Damn the idiot who sold me cheap parts"?

eBay doesn't have anything to do with the cheap parts.
they are part of the cause of the parts getting to be worse.
ebay has caused a downward market shift in pricing. that in return has caused a downward shift in quality. I stopped selling on there because the cheap crap was all people wanted. the stuff I sell is budget friendly, but still of dam good quality.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM

And if you imagine this is limited to our Maximas maybe you should read about arm_can ball joints on Hondas.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
they are part of the cause of the parts getting to be worse.
ebay has caused a downward market shift in pricing. that in return has caused a downward shift in quality. I stopped selling on there because the cheap crap was all people wanted. the stuff I sell is budget friendly, but still of dam good quality.
No they haven't. eBay has not caused any price changes. eBay has allowed sellers to offer items at the prices they choose, and for buyers to decide whether to pay for it. If buyers continue to buy from sellers who sell cheap items instead of paying more for higher quality, then the buyers and the sellers are responsible for the trend.

This is like blaming your local paper for the car you bought and didn't like.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Maxwell
No they haven't. eBay has not caused any price changes. eBay has allowed sellers to offer items at the prices they choose, and for buyers to decide whether to pay for it. If buyers continue to buy from sellers who sell cheap items instead of paying more for higher quality, then the buyers and the sellers are responsible for the trend.

This is like blaming your local paper for the car you bought and didn't like.
very different issues.

ebay facilitates the trend. if it weren't there it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 PM

Right... they facilitate HUMANS' ACTIONS. They don't CAUSE anything. The newspaper facilitates the sale of the car; eBay facilitates the sale of the cheap parts. They have no cause in the equation.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dubbya
I noticed some uneven wear on my tire (cupping on the outside edge) and decided to investigate. I had recently bought and installed ball joints from Ebay. I think they have been on my car for about 4 months. To my surprise this is what I found.

Just a warning to all those thinking about buying them.
just curious, what susp. are you running on your car and how low is it?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by paul5:14
just curious, what susp. are you running on your car and how low is it?
Dubbya was on the full Tokico setup, illuminas and Tokico springs which had a conservative drop.
Just thought I would throw that out there since he doesnt come on the Org too much anymore, probably less now that he bought a Titan.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM

sorry to see these pictures.. there are certain things i buy from ebay and these types are not one of the... any mechanical/electronic i stick to local so i can excahange/warranty ..
Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM

just came to know that my cars likely will nedd a ball joints. now it's okay. my mechanic is quoting 400 per side is this fair?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
PM me for LCA's!

400 per side seems a bit steep. 400 total maybe.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to revive the thread but I just bought some ebay ball joints also. These are from the seller "bestsuspension" whose website is "worldsuspension.com"

I actually own a civic and have only came across this thread for the ebay ball joint discussion.

After getting the clip off the boot, I was shocked to see a completely dry ball joint. What's the point of the boot if there's no grease in there?

I actually bought some energy ball joint boots which should prove to be much more durable than the cheap boots that were supplied.

Here's the pics so far:

packaging:

apart:

greasing:

done:

I'm currently having trouble pressing out the old ball joint using the huge c-clamp. Just wondering if any of you had this issue where the c-clamp press won't align with knuckle correctly to apply adequate pressure to the ball joint to have it pressed out.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM

damn no wonder why ebays parts are so cheap that sucks bro
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 AM

i just replaced my whole front end suspension and got the parts from autozone they give lifetime warranty and it cost about 220 for 4 tie rod ends and 2 balljoints
Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 AM
The Golden One

I got the World Suspension Kit (LCA's, Ball Joints, Tie Rods, Sway Bar Bushings, etc. - which are chassis 1 - the box was the same as chassis 1 part) and haven't had any issues and they have been on my car for probably more than a year now. With NE winters, rough roads, countless long distance trips, and many runs in the hills on the twisties.

I don't know what you people are talking about.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
I got the World Suspension Kit (LCA's, Ball Joints, Tie Rods, Sway Bar Bushings, etc. - which are chassis 1 - the box was the same as chassis 1 part) and haven't had any issues and they have been on my car for probably more than a year now. With NE winters, rough roads, countless long distance trips, and many runs in the hills on the twisties.

I don't know what you people are talking about.
world suspension sucks is what were talking about. cheaply made crap that should'nt be allowed to be sold legally or otherwise. ball joints are crap, bushings tear, and the size of the lca's are extremley small compared to oem. i just replaced those w/s junk lca's with rockauto.com's spicer lifetime warranty lca's which are made by raybestos. they were much more like the stock lca's in size and the bushings are alot better looking/thicker than world suckspension.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 PM
The Golden One

So can you explain why my stuff has been 100% perfect all this time?

I replaced mine 20,000 miles ago so it's been roughly 1.5 years without issue and it doesn't look like anything is wrong with them or will be wrong with them anytime soon. And that includes constant pressure as I do alot of 'twisty' driving and north eastern winters which are harsh.

Also...to state this again...my boxes were those blue and red ones pictured above....which seem to be chasis 1. I don't know what **** you guys bought, but my stuff from W/S was perfectly fine.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM

your lucky so far, maybe 1 out of every 500 lca's hold up more than a year. mine made it just past 17 months and the bushings tore on both sides and ball joints were'nt lookin to good either. cross your fingers is all im saying.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:48 AM
The Golden One

Yeah my LCA's look great and everything (all the boots, etc.) look great. Those metal caps on the sway bar bushing (on the top and bottom of the rubber pieces) has some surface rust but other than that nothing is wrong with my setup. My LCA's don't even have a bit of rust...just surface dirt that I can wipe with my finger.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM

just so you know guys, I have bought chassis 1 full kit from maximum suspension on ebay.... started clunking as soon as I backed out of my garage.... REALLY poor handling

been getting worse and worse for 5 months... checked ball joints today, right one is completely loose.... and left boot is half ripped. really, 5 months. piece of ****.

seller never replied to my emails, even after 3 mails and 3 months.

Piece of ****
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey all - just ordered a full front suspension kit from an ebay seller named suspensionpartswarehouse and admittedly didn't spend that much time researching the history of .org members' collective experience with cheap Chinese-made parts but now I'm a little nervous.

The Complete Front Suspension Kit I ordered comes comes with:
- 2 Lower Control Arms (Part#'s CB30428 & CB30429)
- 2 Inner Tie Rods (Part # EV352)
- 2 Outer Tie Rods (Part # ES3438) and
- 2 Sway Bar Links (Part # K90126).

The parts are made by OE Brand and distributed by F.P.D. The whole kit was $135 and hopefully it will last a while. My '95 Maxima has been clunking more and more lately over the harsh S. Philly streets.

I also ordered both front and rear shock and strut assemblies since it seems going through my repair history I've never replaced them all and I've had the car since '99, although I did apparently have front struts put in by the dealer in '01. I think in 10 years of city driving it's time for a whole new suspension but I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to spend this much money on suspension parts this year.

Hopefully I won't be another example of an ebay buyer screwed in getting shoddy parts!

Last edited by mikeg75; 11-21-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mikeg75
Hey all - just ordered a full front suspension kit from an ebay seller named suspensionpartswarehouse and admittedly didn't spend that much time researching the history of .org members' collective experience with cheap Chinese-made parts but now I'm a little nervous.

The Complete Front Suspension Kit I ordered comes comes with:
- 2 Lower Control Arms (Part#'s CB30428 & CB30429)
- 2 Inner Tie Rods (Part # EV352)
- 2 Outer Tie Rods (Part # ES3438) and
- 2 Sway Bar Links (Part # K90126).

The whole kit was $135 and hopefully it will last a while. My '95 Maxima has been clunking more and more lately over the harsh S. Philly streets.

I also ordered both front and rear shock and strut assemblies.

all i can say is good luck with that crap. had you read the posts in this thread you would've seen that ebay;s combo kits dont last and are cheap chinese junk.i switched over to spicer lca's, moog tie rods and end links, little pricey but worth the investment. if $$$$ is tight, there are also vendors in here that sell, suspension setups.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 AM

im glad i saw this thread cuz i was def bout to buy from ebay.

The hell with savin money if the quality is poor. I would rather spend more to get better quality any day.

Are the autozone LCAs any good?