4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Some mod questions...again :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Some mod questions...again :)

(b4 u read consider that i'm a true newbie and please do not make any statements that would hurt me ..ah what the hell..diss me all u want my questions are in red) OOOOKkk.... i havent donated yet cuz i havent received the capitalone (no annual fees) credit card ... so the searchin option dont work yet...but i've read aaaalll the good threads in pages thru 3-8 and 18-25... in between there were some funny crap..i did not bother with those ..

Ok ... after doing some research and Pming the maximakolik fellas here (THANK YOU MaximaSE96, JSutter,f550maranello2,Bobo, njmaxseltd, hectorc, 1FSTMAX, Cdg2125, Nismotic and dmBK.... i'm still waiting some of your replies) i decided that i'll mod the car :]..

but i'm not gonna go crazy on this cuz i aint got time and money to do so...

I want my car to be;

1) better looking than stock..we all know maxes are hot but u know some chromes wouldnt hurt... EBAY
and maybe a stillen body kit later..
waht do u think?

2) a little more powerful : ... a y-pipe of course... what's the best and why?

3)
A
-nice sounding.. loud and effective when driving at 1500-2000 RPMS... i rarely
rev it up higher than 2500... i probably will rev the car when i leave the school parkin lot and such ...

JSUTTER TOLD ME: "If you want a louder intake just get an MAF adpter and cone filter off Ebay. If you want the loudest get a short ram. The stock resonator quiets things down alot."... i saw in VQpower.com that BOMZ intake with a K&N filter is awesome..HERE..ok so will the engine sound good at 1500 RPMS with the short ram or the Bomz intake? or a pop-charger?...keep in mind that i dont care if i lose any power..so..if there are any other effective ways to do so...what are they?

B- louuuudeerr exhaust... omg this is the first thing i want... but everybody here gave me different replies... and i read the forums..its allways different... Some say Budget is amazing with AM catbacks..some say it sucks ***.. other says get cattman exhaust ..then some others say it aint worth the money...i mean i dont know what to do... what is a good+cheap exhaust system setup with an AM y-pipe that will make the car sound good ?... if it is just the muffler difference ..waht is a good sounding muffler? and...i dont want to sound like a CIVIC...ugh i hate how those sound

thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Bacon Lover

1. Uhh no. I'm not a fan of chrome to begin with, but that's not going to make your car look any better, especially not without some other cosmetic stuff and ESPECIALLY not without a drop.

2. Which y-pipe you get really doesn't matter. What does matter is what material you want it made out of. That's about it. Decide that and then you can decide what brand to go with from there.

3. If you don't rev and don't care much about losing a tiny bit of low-end throttle response, go with a short ram.

4. Don't go too loud, it'll attract attention. Besides, loud just gets annoying after awhile, and with loud usually comes lots of droning. Mine is loud enough that you can tell it's modified (and sounds nice) but not so loud that it's annoying to me, attracts attention, or annoys people that ride with me.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:39 PM

1. dont get rims without lowering it, unless you like the lifted 4x4 look

2. i dont think it really matters, just make sure you order the right one (cali spec, fed spec) and in most cases if you plan on keeping the car for along time stainless steel is usually worth it.

3. Short ram is usually the best sound wise, but really thats what most people do the intake for(sound).

4. ive driven in some pretty loud cars (my supra with an open downpipe) and its cool at first, but trust me it gets annoying after awhile, and you attract attention from the wrong sort of people(po-po). Get an exhaust that is a bit louder then stock under normal driving but gives a good deep sound while in the upper rpm or at WOT.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 PM

After I'm done studying I'll try to PM you the same questions.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 PM

1) not trying to be racist but, from my observation, chrome wheels are usually used in cars driving by the amigos and the "brothers". =\
I like the SSR or oem G35 or......those kinda more street-friendly looks. but hey, everyone got their own taste

2) ypipe supposely gives the best gain. theres a guide somewhere.....i think warpspeed or cattman or stillen r good

3) i'm using the stock maf w/ k&n intake......i want to go back to stock but i made a mistake.....

4) don't get anything too loud. if it's too loud you're just as bad if not worse than the civic. not to mention, if you added the chrome wheels -_-
or, drill a hole in ur factory muffler, that makes it louder too (except ull get.....bad mileage and etc)
Old 07-30-2006, 12:05 AM

idk about you, but i think its a waste of money to get something like an exhaust to attract the wrong attention. but i think tthere was a thread somewhere that supposedly stated that if you install a y-pipe it will lower your MPG. to me thats important but it may not be an issue with you. gl with your car.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:06 AM

on the G35 rims.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Dev

1) Get whichever rims you would like to get, and which you think will look good. Everyone has there own taste, otherwise there would only be one type of rim produced for every automobile. Like everyone else said, dropping the car would do a lot in terms of handling and aesthetics.

2) If your roads are salted in the winter, go with stainless steel. Doesn't matter which company you go with, just get the least expensive one.

3) At 1.5 - 2k rpm, your intake won't make much sound. Doesn't matter if it's a CAI or short ram. At that rpm range, your exhaust will be pretty loud if aftermarket. Any aftermarket intake will get loud if you step on it, and closer to the 4k and above rpm. It's just the sound of your motor, its not the intake making noise. It's just that the stock resonators that normally block the sound are removed. If you don't want to spend any money and just want the sound - you can do the hacked airbox. However your stock parts will be tampered with, if you plan on selling your car in the future.

4) If you are just looking for some sound from the exhaust, just get an aftermarket muffler bolted on. The ypipe will make the car a bit louder along with the muffler. Cat-back's are quite expensive, so you could leave your stock bpipe and just swap out the muffler. Personally, I like borla mufflers, but I'm sure you'll get many opinions on brands.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 AM
Fre$h_TurK

1) .... OOoooO i see that the chromes are a turn off... a second thought... i might get 18" AT Italia Inox... but they're so expensive..$310 each... i dont want to go over $1500 with the mods .. does any of u know rims that look like these
?

2) how much is stainless steel y-pipe warpspeed (shipped) ? .... i heard that we get a discount of 20 bux..is that true..?... and budget is around 220

3) ok so intakes wont do much sound at low RPMS.... how about pop chargers?

4) like i said b4 ...i dont wanna go crazy on this... i dont wanna wake up the neighbors when i start the car ... just a good sound u know... good to make ppl turn their head and look at the MAX ... what kind of setups do u guys have... pls mention their brands

Old 07-30-2006, 04:54 AM
Project Ruby......

1. Search these sites for your wheels. 1010tires, VictoriaTire, Discount Tire, Wheel Max

For more search Google.

But if you get wheels you will quickly want to lower the car unless you like the look of a H2.

2. Is Warpspeed even around anymore? I believe they've gone down hill in the years, in quality and customer service. Just get a Budget. www.lssexhaust.com

3. If you get an open element filter you'll have the loud suction/whistle sound at idle. My ebay intake did this when I had one. And as you go up the through the RPMs the roar just gets louder.

4. You have several choices. GReddy, Cattman (both are relatively expensive), Megan Racing. Or you can leave the stock piping and replace your muffler with whatever muffler you like. I suggest the Apexi WS2 muffler, which you can find on Ebay.

Or you can go to an exhaust shop get yourself some 2.5" custom pipe with the stock resonator left in place and whatever muffler you like. It's all up to you.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
on the G35 rims.
especially the 5 spoke
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Fre$h_TurK

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
1. Search these sites for your wheels. 1010tires, VictoriaTire, Discount Tire, Wheel Max

For more search Google.

But if you get wheels you will quickly want to lower the car unless you like the look of a H2.

2. Is Warpspeed even around anymore? I believe they've gone down hill in the years, in quality and customer service. Just get a Budget. www.lssexhaust.com

3. If you get an open element filter you'll have the loud suction/whistle sound at idle. My ebay intake did this when I had one. And as you go up the through the RPMs the roar just gets louder.

4. You have several choices. GReddy, Cattman (both are relatively expensive), Megan Racing. Or you can leave the stock piping and replace your muffler with whatever muffler you like. I suggest the Apexi WS2 muffler, which you can find on Ebay.

Or you can go to an exhaust shop get yourself some 2.5" custom pipe with the stock resonator left in place and whatever muffler you like. It's all up to you.

1) these wheels are killing me... i found some packages udner 900 in several places...will do more reseach tho..

2)i guess warpspeed is around..

3) where can i get an open element filter ? and what is ur ebay intake?

Old 07-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Project Ruby......

I no longer have an ebay intake. It was one of the cheap generic ones off of ebay. It was a CAI, I just kept it as a short ram.

If you don't want to spend crazy amount on wheels there are plenty of similar design 5 spokes for a lot cheaper.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Fre$h_TurK

where can i get those cheaper ones ??... i've been searchin and cudnt find any under 650 bux (4 piece)

Old 07-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Project Ruby......

I am not really sure. They may not be the exact same style but you can get a ton of rims in 5spoke style. Search ebay for some 5 spokes.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Fre$h_TurK

ok thanks... how do i know that they will fit the maxima?... is there like a number or sumthing

Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Project Ruby......

While everybody hates seeing this site linked it is a good site to read.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php

Our lug pattern is 5x114.3

Offset anywhere from 30-45 is good. Lower the offset the more flush your wheels/tires will sit to the fender.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:21 PM

5x114.3 is the numbers your looking for.

also we have a for sale section on this forum. normally if you look around you can find a set of used wheels 17/18 with tires for about $650.

You can also find some intakes on here as well in the $20-50 ranges. Any y-pipes are no diffrent, but its eaiser to get then new from budget.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
5x114.3 is the numbers your looking for.

also we have a for sale section on this forum. normally if you look around you can find a set of used wheels 17/18 with tires for about $650.

You can also find some intakes on here as well in the $20-50 ranges. Any y-pipes are no diffrent, but its eaiser to get then new from budget.

thanks man..i'll check into that

btw....DOES ANYONE HAVE CLEAR TURNING LIGHTS ??? and i just posted this ...PLS CHECK IT OUT

Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you mean clear blinker light bulbs? Or the lenses?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fre$h_TurK
1) .... OOoooO i see that the chromes are a turn off... a second thought... i might get 18" AT Italia Inox... but they're so expensive..$310 each... i dont want to go over $1500 with the mods .. does any of u know rims that look like these
?

2) how much is stainless steel y-pipe warpspeed (shipped) ? .... i heard that we get a discount of 20 bux..is that true..?... and budget is around 220

3) ok so intakes wont do much sound at low RPMS.... how about pop chargers?

4) like i said b4 ...i dont wanna go crazy on this... i dont wanna wake up the neighbors when i start the car ... just a good sound u know... good to make ppl turn their head and look at the MAX ... what kind of setups do u guys have... pls mention their brands
1) I am not a firm believer in any sort of looks. And think about it though, you said you wanted chrome, and now you say that no one here likes it you changed your mind...do you really want to spend the money on fads that change?

2) you can get ypipes ranging from 150-400 dollars ranging on brand and new/used...just make sure that if you get one, it is the material that suits the conditions you live in.

3.) intakes are intakes. Unless you plan on using nitrous or boosting your car it truly doesn't really matter ALL that much. Good solid sound can come from a hacked box if that is what you are looking for.

4.) there is a whole sticky on exhaust sounds and setups...check that out if you interested in setups and costs etc.

good luck.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Originally Posted by '96 B-rad
Do you mean clear blinker light bulbs? Or the lenses?
umm...the whole set..cuz the bulbs on stock arent amber lights rite?

Old 07-31-2006, 06:12 PM
What's next!?..

Clear bumper lights (turning & side marker) can be found on eBay, customenterprises.com, procarparts.com, etc. Very easy to swap out. I'm pretty sure they come with amber bulbs.

Try discounttiredirect.com for wheels. Sometimes they have good deals on discontinued models or free shipping.

I would get the stainless steel Y pipe first. See how you like the sound. Then worry about the rest of the exhaust if you want louder.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 PM

Yeah mine are from custom enterprise and they come with the amber bulbs (I think) If not they sell them there for .99 cents a peice. I got an aluminized y-pipe from budget and it was great while I had it. Intakes you pay for the name doesnt really matter. Some say get a 'true' intake like pr or cattman but there is no major diff between any.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Thank you all

Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
Yeah they are still around. The quality is the same as budget but they do have poor customer service..Warpspeed = Redlinemax.com