4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driveaxle/CV Boot Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 10:44 PM

I recently had new wheels and tires mounted and, after the process, the manager of the shop informed me that my right outer CV boot was torn, which I didn't doubt after having discovered grease in my driveway about a week before. I requested that the boot be replaced, along with the axle, if necessary, though I didn't suspect damage to the axle. I wasn't getting any clicking in turns or other telltale signs of axle damage. After the job was complete, the manager informed me that there was no need to replace the axle, as it looked fine upon inspection. But after a few days of driving I began to hear consistent clicking coming from the right axle, which has gradually worsened.

I would appreciate any theories on why I could be experiencing symptoms of a damaged axle when the inspection and pre-boot replacement driving indicated no such damage. What errors could have been made during the boot replacement that might have damaged the axle?

Thank you
Old 06-22-2001, 06:08 AM

More information please

Originally posted by radiohead75243
... to replace the axle, as it looked fine upon inspection. But after a few days of driving I began to hear consistent clicking coming from the right axle, which has gradually worsened. ...
What is the nature of this clicking sound? Do you hear it with the wheels turned to full right lock? Full left lock? Straight ahead? Please verify that all wheel nuts are properly tightened.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:45 AM

Re: More information please

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
What is the nature of this clicking sound? Do you hear it with the wheels turned to full right lock? Full left lock? Straight ahead? Please verify that all wheel nuts are properly tightened.

The clicking/popping sound is consistent with a worn, damaged CV joint, and I only hear it when turning the wheel. It is more pronounced when turning the wheel to the right, as I recall. What is particularly disturbing, and the manager agreed with me this morning, is that no such sound was observed before the boot replacement, nor was any damage to the axle reported. What's more, the shop tried to tell me that the remanufactured axle was going to be $225, because it was a high velocity differential, to which I replied that it was a limited slip and the price range I received from various parts stores was $65-$100. The new price is still high at $133. The whole reason I didn't do the job myself is to avoid any potential hassle that might result from my inexperience. I loathe the thought of other people working on my car.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:58 AM

... What errors could have been made during the boot replacement that might have damaged the axle? ...
A proper job would have included cleaning the CV joint and thoroughly regreasing it. A careless technician might have inadvertently introduced road grit into the joint in the process of removing the boot and then failed to clean and regrease as required. I am not saying that is what actually happened. I am only answering your question about what might have happened.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
A proper job would have included cleaning the CV joint and thoroughly regreasing it. A careless technician might have inadvertently introduced road grit into the joint in the process of removing the boot and then failed to clean and regrease as required. I am not saying that is what actually happened. I am only answering your question about what might have happened.

I just picked up my vehicle, and they remanufactured my axle and placed it on the right side. The annoying popping/clicking sound persists, however. I was quite frustrated and asked them to determine the source of the clicking/popping. They believe the source is the strut mount bearings. Is this likely, or are there other explanations?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:16 PM

... They believe the source is the strut mount bearings. Is this likely, or are there other explanations?
If the clicking sound is rhythmic, and the frequency of click is proportional to vehicle speed, and the sound is most pronounced when the steering wheel is turned to full lock, the likely source is the CV joint. A bad strut bearing makes a variety of sounds, more often described as grunting than clicking, as the steering wheel is being turned. A bad strut bearing will make noise even when the vehicle is stationary. A bad CV joint will make noise only when the vehicle is moving.
Old 06-23-2001, 11:22 PM

I have noticed that my CV boot is leaking. I had the wheel turned all the way to the right and noticed a ring of grease around the wheel well. How much should I epect to pay to get this fixed, considering I will not attempt to do this myself. Also I will be driving from California to Colorado next week and don't have the money to fix this before I leave. Should I be worried about driving 1200 miles on a torn CV boot? Thanks in advance for input.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
... How much should I epect to pay to get this fixed, considering I will not attempt to do this myself. ...
Ballpark estimate: $200 for a remanufactured axle, installed.

... Should I be worried about driving 1200 miles on a torn CV boot?
If the damage is fresh you will probably make it. If the damage is old and the CV joint is already significantly worn, there is a risk of a roadside breakdown.