4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAF spray cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:14 PM

MAF spray cleaner

I was in Advance Auto on Sunday to buy a can of Deep Creep, when I spotted a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor Spray Cleaner, made by CRC. Wow....I didn't even know that they had a spray specifically made for cleaning the MAF.

What a great world we live in!

As I disassembled the MAF housing from the air filter box top, I noticed something I had not seen before: dust bunnies on the screen and a few pieces of dried leaves.
They were apparently left their by the previous owner who did not properly change the air filter. when I changed the stock filter for a K&N, I wiped down the inside of the filter box, but I did not clean off the MAF screen because I never thought it would be dirty..

Anyway, I mentioned this just to reinforce the recommendation to clean off the MAF screen when you either change your filter and/or clean the MAF itself with this spray.

BTW, The makers of the spray recommend cleaning the MAF every time you change or clean your air filter.

Now, the cleaner can has a spray tube that attaches to the top, and the liquid itself evaporates almost instantly. So, it is really easy to keep the mess down to a minimum.

To do the cleaning, you start with a cold car turned off. Then you disconnect the MAF power harness. If your car still has a stock air box, you unclip the top from the bottom. Then, you can take the filter box top and MAF housing out by loosening the band around the neck of the air intake and pulling out both the MAF and filter box top as a unit (there is a small screw holding the MAF housing down on the lower right side that you may need to loosen as well.)

Remove the four screws on the MAF housing and pull it out from the filter box top. Rest the MAF housing on top of some shop towels (to catch any runoff). Give each side of the MAF about 10-12 squirts of the MAF cleaner and let it dry for about 10 minutes beforfe reassembling it. You may want to wipe out the inside of the plastic tube if it is dirty.

When I finished with the MAF, I decided to Deep Creep my
intake manifold as well.

With Tropical Storm Alberto blowing on through without any significant rain, it was finally cool enough outside to do some car work. BOY, was it hot last Saturday!

When I was all done, I took the car outfor a spin. I was punching the gas pedal with a couple of good old WOT shots to help the TB go and the MAF glow. It felt very peppy.

Just as I was doing my gumout gambit, this blue, '94 Accord Rice-a-Roni came flying by doing his best Mazda Macarena imitation. OMG! I think he wanted to go for it at the next light!

OK, if he really wanted to help me clean out my fuel system, I'd oblige him. When the stoplight lost its painfully long, red glare, Mr. Jack Rabbit came hoping along, and the last I heard of that Aqua Accord-ian, he was lost somewhere in the previous century.

MORAL: YOU'LL BE MISSIN' IF YOU'RE THINKING OF DISSIN' A NISSAN.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
will fly for food

i just used windex and a Q-tip to clean my MAF... worked like a charm.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Thats a joke right? I've tracked down my problem to the maf tho... need to fix it but i won't pay the $$ for a new one if possible. I'm guessing it'll last a while and all. Anyways, the windex idea must be crazy? .. I'm hoping, lol.. If anyone has any idea's please do tell, I have a 95 max, cant run the ac or i stall out because of my rpm's going bonkers.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:19 PM

The MAF is only a heated resistor sandwiched in plastic film placed in the airstream. The speed of air changes the temperature which in turn changes resistance and the electronics in the box just above it detect this change and sends a signal to the ECM.

Cleaning while a good idea would not improve or fix a failed MAF. There is no maintenance needed for the MAF.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 PM

altought i would not advise on cleaning the maf with anything, it is possible in theory to have the sensor convey data that is affected by dirt particles covering the element.

when i took my air intake assembly off the grille preceding the mad was covered with microscopic dust, but it was such a small amount that it is unlikely it affects the reading of a hot element such as a maf
Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by SVI30
The MAF is only a heated resistor sandwiched in plastic film placed in the airstream. The speed of air changes the temperature which in turn changes resistance and the electronics in the box just above it detect this change and sends a signal to the ECM.

Cleaning while a good idea would not improve or fix a failed MAF. There is no maintenance needed for the MAF.
What about if you have a K&N pod filter(which are oiled).. this oil residue can build up on your maf hotwire... even people without pods will see crap all over the MAF screen some of that must be making its way to the hot wire.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
What about if you have a K&N pod filter(which are oiled).. this oil residue can build up on your maf hotwire... even people without pods will see crap all over the MAF screen some of that must be making its way to the hot wire.
yah, if you soak the k&n filter which is not necessary. once you clean it, one or two squits and thats all you need, i still let it dry overnight just to be sure cause i know someone that soaked it and stalled the maf with all the excess.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
Sorry, I have no experience with K&N filters.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 AM

omg nooo wayy? .....heres another amazing idea: have the car running and warm then spray squirts of some propane into the intake tube up by the bumper. maf will work amazing after that.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Kevlo for President

Okay some of these posts don't make sense to me. ^^

And cleaning the maf has helped me, well at least it FELT like it. I don't see the harm in cleaning it, I used rubbing alcohol which is the same stuff I use to clean most if not all of my electronics.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 AM

i was kidding if youre talking about my post. youll blow youre freakin intake off because of the maf's hot wire.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM

just cleaned the k&n filter, took 10 minutes and 1 hour to dry out in the sun. then i sprayed the oil on her and 30 minutes and back in she went. cake... mmmmmm cake
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM

I've used the CRC MAF spray from advanced auto as well. I sprayed the sensor and the screen a couple times from each side while i already had the whole unit off to do a TB cleaning. With both together i felt a noticeable difference and the spray for the maf is pretty cheap. worth it imo.