4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Exhaust system - Too Loud - Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:36 PM

New Exhaust system - Too Loud - Need help!

I got the Warpspeed Y, Magnaflow hi/flow cat, and custom B-pipe w/ resonator (not sure what brand of resonator) installed this weekend. My car already has a Flowmaster 40 series muffler in place prior to the installation of the above exhaust parts plus a custom CAI. The exhaust tone is low and bassy, which I like. Click here for sound clips. However, it's a bit too loud for my taste despite of the resonator. The resonator runs the length of the B-pipe, from the cat to the first bend. I'm not sure what to do now. A pricey cat-back is pretty much out of the question right now since I'm budgetting for my next set of mods. Can you guys offer some alternatives? Perhaps a different resonator, any brand you can suggest, or maybe a quietter muffler. I'm not expecting a quiet, stock-like, sound. I just want to attenuate the sound down by a few decibels. Please help.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

different type of muffler?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I Broke OT

can you get another resonator on the b-pipe somewhere? possibly put the stock cat back in? different muffler would probably be a sure-fire way to fis it, though.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:49 PM

only choices are oem or cattman(little less noise than other aftermarket)
Old 05-29-2006, 10:49 PM

only choices are oem or cattman(little less noise than other aftermarket)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 PM

I kept everything but the stock b-pipe. The stock muffler had been tossed a long time ago when I got the Flowmaster in. Besides, I'm going for the 2.5" diameter all the way to the back. I love the performance gains that I have gotten from this so far, will get dyno numbers next saturday at the dyno meet here in So-Cal. Can anyone suggest a quiet axle back perhaps aside from the stock muffler?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 PM

get a dynomax oval muffler looks like the factory but flows better and then through a tip on it.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:48 PM

Those mufflers are LOUD!

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
get a dynomax oval muffler looks like the factory but flows better and then through a tip on it.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:52 AM
I Broke OT

Dynomax Super Turbo? heard good things, but not sure how it sounds with full 2.5" piping.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 AM

oh I was under the impression that they were quiet for a full 2.5inch exhaust.i dont think its gonna get near stock quietness tho. maybe sound level of a g35c?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:31 AM

I wonder how it would sound with a 5th gen muffler? I've also been doing some digging around and saw that the Flowmaster 50 series is the most quiet muffler they make, closests to OEM with a deep exhaust note.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

warpspeed sells a quiet magnaflow muffler, give them a call and ask about it
Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 AM

cant you get a silencer that goes in your muffler?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

not to sound like an *** but its the muffler. switch to something else. you will not lose any noticeable power, even with the stock muffler.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:31 PM

I know...I've talked to a number of people regarding this off the board. The Flowmaster has no sound suppression material in it thus the noise level. It sounded great with a stock system. Looks like I might be going with either a Dynomax or Magnaflow. My stock muffler was thrown away so i cannot get that back. The 5th gen muffler could be a bit pricey.

BTW, I read one of your old posts regarding loud mufflers in our sports sedan. I feel ya on that one. I share the same opinion and I am embarrassed right now to be driving around being so loud in this car. I'm not trying to get any attention by any means. I just wanted to upgrade the exhaust and with that comes more noise from it as well. So hopefully, I'll get the noise down to a more acceptable level. Also, I've been going thru the 4th exhaust sound clip thread. Found 2 guys with Y-pipe and stock cat back but both links don't work so I didn't get to hear their exhaust sound clips.

Originally Posted by JSutter
not to sound like an *** but its the muffler. switch to something else. you will not lose any noticeable power, even with the stock muffler.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
dko
duck and cover

the dynomax superturbo is cheap and sounds great. i have it with a cattman Y, hybrid intake, budget b-pipe without a resonator and the superturbo. it sounds great, very deep and has a great growl. it doesn't drone and has just a hint of sound at normal cruising RPM. when you drive by, people will know you have something extra, but it is not obnoxious in any way.

when you get on the pedal, though, it's nice and deep, still not as loud as even a magnaflow without any other mods. i think it's a great choice especially considering that it's $45 at murrays.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
Dynomax Super Turbo? heard good things, but not sure how it sounds with full 2.5" piping.

That is what I have. It only drones under a heavy load i.e. a hill.

I have a full exhaust too. Y and B pipes...
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM

How does the sound level compare to the sound clips I have posted of my current muffler? (it's in post #1) BTW, is there a specific part # that I need to get for the maxima?

Originally Posted by dko
the dynomax superturbo is cheap and sounds great. i have it with a cattman Y, hybrid intake, budget b-pipe without a resonator and the superturbo. it sounds great, very deep and has a great growl. it doesn't drone and has just a hint of sound at normal cruising RPM. when you drive by, people will know you have something extra, but it is not obnoxious in any way.

when you get on the pedal, though, it's nice and deep, still not as loud as even a magnaflow without any other mods. i think it's a great choice especially considering that it's $45 at murrays.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM
scoobystoned...

does a custom b-pipe with resonator make a car any louder at all?? currently i have an ebay fart can and my warpspeed y pipe is on the way. i know my car will be considerably louder with the y pipe, but would it be even louder if i added a budget b pipe W/ RESONATOR???
Old 05-30-2006, 03:52 PM

It will be louder w/o a resonator. I just can't imagine having a louder exhaust when its already too loud for me with a resonator.

Originally Posted by aih98max
does a custom b-pipe with resonator make a car any louder at all?? currently i have an ebay fart can and my warpspeed y pipe is on the way. i know my car will be considerably louder with the y pipe, but would it be even louder if i added a budget b pipe W/ RESONATOR???
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 PM
scoobystoned...

thanks, DR-Max, sorry i kinda hyjacked ur thread.
i actually like the way your exhaust sounds in those clips, but it is a little loud. im gonna buy a magnaflow race or street series muffler, ive heard they are the best.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM
96SEsleepa

Get A Meagan Racing Performance....i Bought Mine Off Ebay. So U Kno Its Not Pricey
Comes With A Silencer, But I Dont Use Mine.....its Not Too Loud To The Point Where U Cant Stand It. Jus Loud Enuff To Turn Heads And Make People Say "ohh Sh*t.....look At That Max"!!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:29 PM

Compared to Dynomax and Magnaflow sound level, how does this fair up?

Originally Posted by 96SEsleepa
Get A Meagan Racing Performance....i Bought Mine Off Ebay. So U Kno Its Not Pricey
Comes With A Silencer, But I Dont Use Mine.....its Not Too Loud To The Point Where U Cant Stand It. Jus Loud Enuff To Turn Heads And Make People Say "ohh Sh*t.....look At That Max"!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 PM

I'll get you a sound clip of the Megan exhaust when I see my friend. It has almost no sound at idle and barely any sound when your crusing but when you punch it..... you can hear a nice roar. You will not be making loud *** fart sound at 1-2k RPM like our Honda friends.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Thanks....

One nice thing about the current exhaust note is that at idle, my car sounds like a WRX. That's the only consolation I am considering when it comes to how my exhaust currently sounds.

Originally Posted by b00b
I'll get you a sound clip of the Megan exhaust when I see my friend. It has almost no sound at idle and barely any sound when your crusing but when you punch it..... you can hear a nice roar. You will not be making loud *** fart sound at 1-2k RPM like our Honda friends.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by DR-Max
How does the sound level compare to the sound clips I have posted of my current muffler? (it's in post #1) BTW, is there a specific part # that I need to get for the maxima?
just get the 2.25 or 2.5" depending on whatever size your b-pipe outlet is. if you go to murray's auto parts (if you have one near you) they can order it for you. you can also get the exact p/n on dynomax's website.

compared to the clips you put up, it is a LOT less raspy and the tone is deeper. overall the sound is a lot more mellow.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 PM

I've been looking thru the Dynomax website looking for an application for my car but haven't found one yet. Their online catalog is flash-based and is a pain to navigate thru. I wish that they just did a regular html format for that. I don't care about all the flashy effects on it. I might just email Dynomax and give them my spec and ask for a part number and mention to them how they need to simplify the online catalog for accessibility while I'm at it.

Originally Posted by dko
just get the 2.25 or 2.5" depending on whatever size your b-pipe outlet is. if you go to murray's auto parts (if you have one near you) they can order it for you. you can also get the exact p/n on dynomax's website.

compared to the clips you put up, it is a LOT less raspy and the tone is deeper. overall the sound is a lot more mellow.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
dko
duck and cover

I've been looking thru the Dynomax website looking for an application for my car but haven't found one yet. Their online catalog is flash-based and is a pain to navigate thru. I wish that they just did a regular html format for that. I don't care about all the flashy effects on it. I might just email Dynomax and give them my spec and ask for a part number and mention to them how they need to simplify the online catalog for accessibility while I'm at it.
it took me like 2 minutes to find it

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/ecat.asp?page=186

17731 for 2.25" or 17733 for 2.5"

their old catalog was just a pdf, i guess they got upitty and decided flash was sooo much better
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 PM

I wonder what the difference is between SPORT and STREET, found a STREET version on 2.5" inlet but daaaamn, its 25.5" long! WTF.

I still dislike that flash catalog.

Originally Posted by dko
it took me like 2 minutes to find it

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/ecat.asp?page=186

17731 for 2.25" or 17733 for 2.5"

their old catalog was just a pdf, i guess they got upitty and decided flash was sooo much better
Old 05-31-2006, 12:11 AM
dko
duck and cover

both of the M/N i listed are 18.5" long. since "street" and "sport" are under the "sound" column I would assume that they are referring to what is sounds like, street is prob. quieter but i don't think it will fit.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 AM

Nice filename you came up with..... dumbass.gif .

Originally Posted by dko
both of the M/N i listed are 18.5" long. since "street" and "sport" are under the "sound" column I would assume that they are referring to what is sounds like, street is prob. quieter but i don't think it will fit.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 AM

Went to a muffler shop down the street from work this morning. The guy quoted me $150 for the Dynomax Super Turbo including installation. Is this a good price? Summit Racing has one for $127, plus shipping and you gotta take it somewhere and pay for installation.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
dko
duck and cover

Went to a muffler shop down the street from work this morning. The guy quoted me $150 for the Dynomax Super Turbo including installation. Is this a good price? Summit Racing has one for $127, plus shipping and you gotta take it somewhere and pay for installation.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

$39.98 from summit. find a small independent muffler shop, they shouldn't charge more than $60 to install it. it's no more than a 20 minute job for anyone who knows what they are doing.

doublecheck the P/N's. that sounds like the one I got but i'm not positive.
you can find all of the dynomax superturbo's they carry here:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku

mine is the aluminized one. i was worried about corrosion on such a cheap muffler, especially in chicago winters, so I painted it with two coats of hi-temp black paint after it was installed. no problems as of yet, other than if you don't wait for the paint to dry all the way you'll smell it as soon as you stop . it also hides the muffler from view somewhat so all you see is the exhaust tip.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 PM

It would be nice to use that muffler but the inlet is too small for my application. I'm running 2.5" pipe from front to back, including the cat.

Summit actually doesn't have the part# that is for my application, I looked thru their entire list of Dynomax part#'s.

Originally Posted by dko

$39.98 from summit. find a small independent muffler shop, they shouldn't charge more than $60 to install it. it's no more than a 20 minute job for anyone who knows what they are doing.

doublecheck the P/N's. that sounds like the one I got but i'm not positive.
you can find all of the dynomax superturbo's they carry here:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku

mine is the aluminized one. i was worried about corrosion on such a cheap muffler, especially in chicago winters, so I painted it with two coats of hi-temp black paint after it was installed. no problems as of yet, other than if you don't wait for the paint to dry all the way you'll smell it as soon as you stop . it also hides the muffler from view somewhat so all you see is the exhaust tip.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Kevlo for President

Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 PM

This is a center inlet and offset outlet........won't work. I don't think you can install this muffler backwards.

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

Old 05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
dko
duck and cover

It would be nice to use that muffler but the inlet is too small for my application. I'm running 2.5" pipe from front to back, including the cat.

Summit actually doesn't have the part# that is for my application, I looked thru their entire list of Dynomax part#'s.
second one down.

17733:
"Muffler, Super Turbo, 2 1/ 2 in. Inlet/ 2 1/ 2 in. Outlet, Steel, Aluminized"

unless you wanted something that's longer or some other crazy ****, i believe that's the one.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 PM

That's exactly the part# that I got a $150 quote from. I found another shop that could do better so I'm waiting for a quote.

Originally Posted by dko
second one down.

17733:
"Muffler, Super Turbo, 2 1/ 2 in. Inlet/ 2 1/ 2 in. Outlet, Steel, Aluminized"

unless you wanted something that's longer or some other crazy ****, i believe that's the one.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Found one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWA:PIC for $39.88 plus $10 shipping. And guess what, its from Summit Racing!!! Weird how they have this item on ebay but not in their online shopping area.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:47 PM
dko
duck and cover

Found one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWA:PIC for $39.88 plus $10 shipping. And guess what, its from Summit Racing!!! Weird how they have this item on ebay but not in their online shopping area.
IT'S THE SECOND ONE DOWN ON SUMMIT'S DYNOMAX SITE

FOR THE THIRD TIME, IT'S RIGHT THERE. THEY HAVE IT IN STOCK FOR $39.88.

just in case you can't find it, here's the link:

Quick Reply: New Exhaust system - Too Loud - Need help!