4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just changed my spark plugs and DAMN!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 08:52 AM

Just changed my spark plugs and DAMN!!

The plugs I had in (BOSCH quadfires) were all burned up and ashy with only 6 months in they probably woudn't have lasted longer than a month had I not pulled them out thats how bad they were, I threw them away before it occured to me to take pictures , but I put NGK platinums in and started it up...DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN the difference in power is like night and day, the engine now has more power, and accelerates quicker, DRIVING the MAX has been made enjoyable again!

I recommend putting NGK platinums to anyone with a MAX if you wanna bring out it's full power.

P.S.: F*CK YOU BOSCH YOUR SPARKPLUGS SUCK
Old 05-27-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dexter
The plugs I had in (BOSCH quadfires) were all burned up and ashy with only 6 months in they probably woudn't have lasted longer than a month had I not pulled them out thats how bad they were, I threw them away before it occured to me to take pictures , but I put NGK platinums in and started it up...DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN the difference in power is like night and day, the engine now has more power, and accelerates quicker, DRIVING the MAX has been made enjoyable again!

I recommend putting NGK platinums to anyone with a MAX if you wanna bring out it's full power.

P.S.: F*CK YOU BOSCH YOUR SPARKPLUGS SUCK
Uh oh, glad you got rid of those expensive ***** and got the real type of spark plugs.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Uh oh, glad you got rid of those expensive ***** and got the real type of spark plugs.
yeah, I feel cheated cuz each quadfire cost like $6 bucks, and I found out that my local autozone is full of people who don't know shyt cuz, they'd actually argue that BOSCH was better than OEM
Old 05-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

has anyone used the iridium, or other platinum NGK spark plugs? Which one is the best?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:34 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i am using the irdium right now and i can tell no real differance between them and the platnums............but least i do not have to change thm for 6,000,000 miles..........

i work at autozone and there is a thing going on that they want you to sell as much bosch as you can, cause autozone gets them for certian amounts cheaper the more they sell. so they have been pushing the bosch. Autozone people have no idea what theyaretalking about anyways
Old 05-27-2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
Autozone people have no idea what theyaretalking about anyways

Some guy told me that a P0138 and P0139 codes were the front O2 sensors.... Good thing I knew that he was wrong.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:00 PM

hey manualmaxima which autozone your work @ i need sum platinums.i'll let you see my max's insides
Old 05-27-2006, 06:58 PM

i work for pepboys and we sell the same junk. but this is my knowledge on the spark plugs. the ngk everyone keeps talking about is good because they have the biggest center electrode for really strong spark. biggest meaning against the bosch, autolite, ac delco, champion and even denso. denso is my second choice though. however, many guys running 6 to 9 sec in their dragster would argue with me that ngk are great plugs, however, they love autolite because of the cold heat range they need. also platinum and iriduim are just design to last longer. even though they are advertise to make more power. it is really the spark plug design that gives it the firing potential. splitfire and bosch +2 and 4 are all nonsense. my 3000gt runs best with the regular ngk coppers. the platinum makes it loose power. not that its fast anyways. hehehe. thats just my .02.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 PM

^
so OEM platinum is as good as it gets for the MAX, or is Iridium better?!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:18 PM

I once took my Maxima to the dealer to get those +4 Bosch plugs installed.
The shop foreman came back out after 10 minutes and was totally freaking out over my choice of plugs.

Said he wasn't going to waste the time to install them because he knew I'd be back within a week asking to put the factory recommended NGK back in.
He told me he had about a half dozen other people with Maximas try them out and all of them came back in a short period of time to have them swapped back to the NGKs.

Seems like a lot of people on the .ORG who have tried them don't like them. Lots of driveability problems.

Auto engineering companies have access to CRAY Supercomputers or something equivalent that can estimate the fuel air mix dynamics in the cyclinders. So they design the cylinder heads, valves, piston tops, plug positioning, and such for decent performance. And they most likely optimized the performance for the most common style spark plugs.

These days aren't like the '70s... when engineers left a lot of performance on the table with the designs, mainly due to lack of computing power and lack of CFD modelers (computational fluid dynamics).
Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

autozone does not sell NGK, they sell denso.........but anything is better than the bosch or some of the others
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 AM

If you have Advanced Auto Parts near you, they sell NGK's.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by max88q
If you have Advanced Auto Parts near you, they sell NGK's.
I have one near me and they don't, they'd have to "special order" them.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
i work at autozone and there is a thing going on that they want you to sell as much bosch as you can, cause autozone gets them for certian amounts cheaper the more they sell. so they have been pushing the bosch.
I work at AZ as well. I never sell that bull**** Bosch. Most of the customers I encounter, I suggest not buy any of the spark plugs we sell there (mainly imports but definately Nissan owners).
Old 05-28-2006, 08:04 PM

i just dropped 80 bucks on the NGK laserplatinums and i got them at my local NAPA store. i would suggest going there. its a little more pricey but you can get ANYTHING THERE. no offence, screw autozone, pepboys,advanced, and o'rielys.
their convenient, but convenience is lost sometimes when you go there and its pretty much a total waste of time.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by orleanzmax
i work for pepboys and we sell the same junk. but this is my knowledge on the spark plugs. the ngk everyone keeps talking about is good because they have the biggest center electrode for really strong spark. biggest meaning against the bosch, autolite, ac delco, champion and even denso. denso is my second choice though. however, many guys running 6 to 9 sec in their dragster would argue with me that ngk are great plugs, however, they love autolite because of the cold heat range they need. also platinum and iriduim are just design to last longer. even though they are advertise to make more power. it is really the spark plug design that gives it the firing potential. splitfire and bosch +2 and 4 are all nonsense. my 3000gt runs best with the regular ngk coppers. the platinum makes it loose power. not that its fast anyways. hehehe. thats just my .02.
spark design dosent have as much to do as what they are made off. Silver plugs are the best, due to the conductivity of the metal. All in the matter of science and not advertising.

http://www.nology.com/silver.html
Old 05-28-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineGt66
spark design dosent have as much to do as what they are made off. Silver plugs are the best, due to the conductivity of the metal. All in the matter of science and not advertising.

Interesting, but they don't appear to be much better than coppers according to thier own chart. Would they be worth $9 a piece? Or did I read that wrong?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineGt66

they are very conductive..both copper and silver..thats why they dont last as long...although they give a much more efficeint spark, they last alsomt 3X less than iridium or platinum. SO i guess its just what you are looking for and for what purpose.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:43 AM

More proof that NGK's work way better in our maxima's. Especially for all those non believers that still say bosch's work fine...
Old 05-29-2006, 01:49 PM

I'm using NGK Iridiums. After reading a bunch of spark plug threads and the woes of bosch plugs I decided to stay away, far away from the Bosch. NGK and Nissan (imports) seem to be made for each other. As to a difference between the plats and the iridiums......I can't comment. I am happy with the NGK Iridiums though. My advice, NGK....almost any NGK for the Max. Cheers
Old 05-29-2006, 01:58 PM

Just found out my max has some cheapo spark plugs in them, something like "Mighty". They were gapped to .064 as opposed to stock gap .043. NGK V-powers are going in ASAP!!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 PM

I was just doing a tune up on my car for the first time after buying it. I went to autozone and picked up some bosch plugs after some recomendation from the guy there. I put em in my car not realizing I had ngk's allready in there. Not only did I immediately lose a significant amount of power, but my car's CEL went on after about 10 miles of driving. I just put the old ngk's back in yesterday and was happy to have the power restored.

DO NOT USE ANY SPARK PLUGS BESIDES NGK'S.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by konak85
Just found out my max has some cheapo spark plugs in them, something like "Mighty". They were gapped to .064 as opposed to stock gap .043. NGK V-powers are going in ASAP!!!!
stock gap is .044
Old 05-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter
stock gap is .044
per haynes manual is is .043
Old 05-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by motocross416
per haynes manual is is .043
LOL! i doubt +/- .001 will affect performance drastically
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 PM

The brand of spark plug doesn't affect power as much as the correct length and correct gapping. The Iridium actually cause my 300zx to lose power because it isn't the correct OE length. NGK Platinums have worked flawlessly since it has been OE.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM

.039-.044 is fine
Old 05-29-2006, 11:27 PM

Is Anyone Using The Ngk Iridiums And Liking Them? There Is A Guy On Ebay With A 100% Rating And Like 5000 Sales Who Sells The Ngk Iridiums In Any Heat Range For $36.95.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 AM

i used to work at a nissan dealer and the plugs that we put in all the nissans and infinitis were ngk v-powers, but they came in "nissan" packaging. sell them for the same price as any other parts store would too.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:20 AM

NGK's PFR5G11 6 pack $57.00 plus S+H

http://www.courtesyparts.com/A32_maint.html

This is the cheapest I've seen these plugs for (purchased them about 2 weeks ago along with other maint. parts)

Note the prices for the oil filter and some of the other items (some are less than MOST auto stores).

Bosch manufactured products work best with European cars (MHO)
Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 AM

Those same NGK 5G11's at the STEALERSHIP here in London are 26can. and change EACH!!!! And not available anywhere else! Except for the ORG.
I can't remember his name but he sold me six, delivered to my door for around 70 bux.!!!!!!! Thanx ORGers. Saved my a$$ a number of times now. You're an amazing resource!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 AM

I got NGK, I felt the car perform better. I had platinum's for like 60k since the dealer says they are good till 100k. I asked if they have any V-power and they told me they had only platinum. I went to Kragen and got some V power. It costs only $2 per plug.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:47 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob

This is the cheapest I've seen these plugs for (purchased them about 2 weeks ago along with other maint. parts)

Note the prices for the oil filter and some of the other items (some are less than MOST auto stores).

Orederd from Courtesyparts also, along with other parts.
Best price I've found anywhere!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Bosch plugs do blow, but they make some nifty wiper blades!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Am I the only one who feels more power in Bosch +4 Iridium? I am interested in some dyno results here.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob

bosch is also the oem of dodge.

Bosch invented fuel injection for what it matters. but they definitely sell some crap.

In general go with what the car came with obviously. No car comes with those bosch +4s so forget about that its bunk.

Yes copper is a better plug than platinum. All you are buying with platinum is a longer life span, it has greater resistance. If your car came iwth platinum plugs it has the greater resistance written into the equation.

Some platinum plugs are actually barely platinum, and they do indeed have lower resistance. Autolite is what im thinking of here

Anyhow I use ngk coppers or denso coppers in a nissan
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM

The place where I work sell hella brands of plugs, ACDelco, NGK, Bosch, Denso, Autolite, Motorcraft, and Champion.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM

E3 spark plugs
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM

hella old thread
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rough Iddle / Misfire Feel?

Hello All! I need help with my 99 GXE. I have this Idle problem it has a miss fire feel. When sitting still and In Gear it is More Prominent. Idle drops from 1000 to 600 with a bad erratic idle. I have changed out some used coils cause of error codes and I have Cleaned my MAF, Throttle Body, ICV, New NGK Iridium's, New KS. Some times rite after working on it, it seems to run Good for about 10 minutes / Warms up same problem reoccurs. It seems like Something Warms Up then it starts this misfire like idle.

Quick Reply: Just changed my spark plugs and DAMN!!