4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Manual Transmission Seals and FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Maximaler Experte

Manual Transmission Seals and FAQ's

I just checked our FAQ and there are just a few tips in the FAQ that we have with the seals on the MT.

I've decided to put into this post, everything I can find in the 4th gen forum on this topic and from the FAQ.

Signs your MT is failing
1. Transmission will pop out of gear - syncros are going.
2. You hear noise when letting out your clutch- your input shaft or throw-out bearings.
3. Leaking axle seals - bad diff bearings or the seals. See below for more info.
4. Will not go into gear (see either 1 or 2)
5. Whining from the MT as your revs rise. (see either 1 or 2)
6. Flakes of metal in the MT gear oil when you change it.
7. Play where the axle meets the differential. (Should not be able to wiggle the heavy end at the differential)
8. Noise when the car is moving from th MT.
9. Gear oil seeping/leaking at the differential. Only leaks when vehicle is moving, drips when you park, then stops after a few minutes.
10. When you drain the oil, you see metal flakes in the bottom of the the drain pan. (Silver flakes = bearings, gold flakes = synchros).
10. When you grap your axle, there is a lot of play. (Differential bearings)

5 Tips on how to make your tranny last by dgeesaman
Tranny Rebuild by dgeesaman
4th Gen FAQ posting by mzmtg

I can't find any how-to's on changing your seals, but MOTORVATE has a write up on doing repair work on his transmission from start to finish. *Note - this is a complicated procedure and requires that you are mechanically inclined with various special tools and a decent garage.

Pics
Tranny seals pics from Zach342

BTW - I'm still looking for a good write-up or a HOW-TO on changing axle seals. If you have one, please reply to this post.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 PM
SLOW

Some good info except #s 1 and 2 need to be changed, and all the things that say see 1 or 2 are thus sortof void. Your car popping out of gear is not a sign that your synchros are going, the synchro has nothing to do with your car staying in gear, they help it get into gear initially, not stay there once it's in gear. The throw out bearing WILL NOT make any noise when you let off the clutch pedal, it will only make noise when your foot is on the clutch pedal.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fork
BTW - I'm still looking for a good write-up or a HOW-TO on changing axle seals. If you have one, please reply to this post.
changing axles is easy.

Take off wheel
take off 36mm axle nut
remove strut bolts.
push the axle back and angle the spindle down and at an angle so you can get the axle out.
then pull out the axle (after draining the tranny or placing something to catch the oil when the axle comes out).

Same process for the passenger side except there are 3 10mm bolts attached to the bracket that holds it in place.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:55 AM
shift_Puff

have you guys ever heard of the passenger side axle bracket to be broken?? My was literally busted right off...weird
Old 10-18-2006, 02:11 PM

thats odd, its kinda of a strong piece, and something would have to be horrible wrong for it to bust up that brackets. Hopefully someone parting out their car would sell it for cheap. Bolt on by 3 14mm bolts.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by 95mtlMAXSE
have you guys ever heard of the passenger side axle bracket to be broken?? My was literally busted right off...weird
It can be very hard to separate the bracket from the axle/bearing. So I *could* see that the bracket cracks from someone forcefully trying to separate them. I have on more than one occasion needed to use a chisel and heavy hammer to drive the two apart. If it got cocked instead of separating nice and straight, you could break the bracket that way.

Anyway, a new bracket is probably very easy to get used.

Dave
Old 10-18-2006, 06:37 PM

if its that trouble some to separate it might end up being easier to remove the bracket and take the axle out and do it on the ground.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 PM

uhh i broke the bracket, my axle was literally rusted solid onto it. I think it was previously cracked before and when i pryed on it it just gave up. You will probably end up buying the whole passengerside axle because i found most wreckors wont sell it serpately. does the tranny popping out of gear have something to do with the springs in the tranny?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
SLOW

trans popping out of gear most likely is caused by the engagement teeth on the gear or the engagement splines/teeth (whichever you prefer to call them) on the sleeve being worn out.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
trans popping out of gear most likely is caused by the engagement teeth on the gear or the engagement splines/teeth (whichever you prefer to call them) on the sleeve being worn out.
Or, in the case of one I'm working on now, all the detente check ***** were floating around in the case and collected on the magnet. (incompetent dealer tech)

Dave
Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 AM
SLOW

lol how the heck did he manage that I wonder?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Maintenance Monster

I have this scene in mind:

Dealer tech takes hold of leaking tranny. Smearing RTV all around the position sensor and seals didn't fix the leak before, so this time the bearings will get replaced.

Tech either doesn't have a small enough magnet tool, or simply doesn't know that you need to pull out the check *****. Removes housing half, check ***** fall and land on the tranny internals, and roll down under the diff.

Tech continues on, possibly not noticing that the check ***** fell out. Bewildered by the shift linkage, and possible not wanting to spend the time to remove it, the tech only replaces the bearings on the driver's side of the shafts with the shafts still in the tranny. Tech puts it all back together, puts gobs of RTV at the seam, and ignores the missing check *****.

So the customer found that this tranny 1) still leaked at the axle (the other bearing on the diff was spalled to the point the surface looked like asphalt) 2) still had play at the diff, 3) leaked in even more places 4) and would pop out of gear every time you let off the throttle.

Sad, isn't it?

Dave