4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Design for SFCs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New Design for SFCs

Hey guys here is the new custom design I am going to be getting done for my car. The SFCs will be made of square tubing instead of round tubing and they will be made from chome moly. The stage 1 tubing that runs the length of the frame rails and welds to them at 3 locations will be 1 in and the cross bracing will be 3/4 in square tubing. Instead of being bolted together the center section will be welded together and bolted into their box holders.. I will explain those later. So the center section should still be removable yet this design should provide a better more stable fit.

I am going to be adding 2 additional lateral supports as you can see in this picture.

I said to the guy try and make them as close to the ends so that they connect at the tabs if you have the clearence to do so but if you dont move them in closer and closer to the center untill they clear.
More like this

This should add some more lateral support but the biggest problem with the old design was the way the bolts connected to the tabs thus instead of tabs boxes are going to be used. If you remember I am using square tubing with capped ends much like this

Those square tubes are going to fit into 3 sided boxes with one side open on the bottom so you can slide the square tubing into the boxes. These boxes will be located where the tabs used to be. The clearence will be tight. When you slide the stage 2 cross bracing into these boxes the capped end of the tubing should be right against the back of the box. I drew I diagram of the box below. The open end of the box would be where the square tubing would be sticking out. Then to keep the tubing secure there will be bolts going through the box and the square tubing in 2 spots. So there will be 2 bolts for every box to spread stresses over a larger area.

Hopefully these pictures have given you guys a better idea of what I'm getting done although if not I dont blame you, the last time I had art was in 6th grade and my teacher (No lie) said I was artistically retarded.

I have the car now, he did measurements on Fri and I am bringin it back Mon morning to start fabrication. I'll keep you guys updated.

I really hope these things come out great (keeping fingers crossed)

P.S. I am going to be posting this in multiple forums as it concerns more than just 5th gens. So mods please be understanding about that.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:49 PM

is this somethin we could do ourselfs?like pay for the plans?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:52 PM
kthxbye2u

and what does this actually do?... sorry
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 PM

I like where you're going with this triangulation business. Should make for an even stiffer setup.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
I like where you're going with this triangulation business. Should make for an even stiffer setup.

you meen with the 2 additional lateral supports?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by sciff5
you meen with the 2 additional lateral supports?

10 frijoles
Old 05-15-2006, 07:01 AM
kthxbye2u

your adding weight... to improve handling correct? just like strut bars

i have a friend that welds i can show him this and he can hook me up
for free i know for a fact he said "what ever i can do to make your car better, ill do it" i say OK!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
your adding weight... to improve handling correct? just like strut bars

i have a friend that welds i can show him this and he can hook me up
for free i know for a fact he said "what ever i can do to make your car better, ill do it" i say OK!

The weight is not whats improving the handeling, the actual bracing is stiffening the chassis to eliminate flex.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:34 AM

No bar to connect to two control arms together??
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tim96I30t
No bar to connect to two control arms together??
Someone makes a lower tie bar to do just that but leave it for another thread...
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
The weight is not whats improving the handeling, the actual bracing is stiffening the chassis to greatly reduce flex.
Fixed........
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Someone makes a lower tie bar to do just that but leave it for another thread...

I was actually gonna get the LTB from Matt Blehmco but it doesnt fit the headers so I am waiting till i have headers on my car to get the LTB done. If Matt has a LTB by then that fits the headers I will buy from him. If not I will have the LTB fabricated custom from this same guy and then send matt blehm the dimensions for the LTB that fits the headers so he can start producing them for the board.

UPDATE on the SFCs. I did some research on the strength of round tubing VS square tubing and found that round tubing can be somewhat stronger while being lighter. So for the stage 1 bars that run the length of the cars I've decided I am going with round chromoly tubing, because of some of the things I read in this article from factory five racing.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...ecs/frame.html

Mainly because round tubing had more tortional strength which the chassis and thus the stage 1 bars will experience some of. The square tubing is better for vertical strength. Thus they would be better for the center stage 2 section. And the box connection is very good. So there will be a combination of square and round tubing and the combination should be the best for weight saving strength and good connections on the bolts.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
STFU n00b!

I'm not sure why you're worried about the ends not being strong enough... the WSP SFCs are bolted together using 3/8" grade 8 bolts and I have yet to break a bolt. that means the joints are plenty strong enough the way they are... I understand you're trying to make them better, but what you're really doing is complicating the design for no real improvement. That also makes it harder to install because every piece will be required to be custom fit. with the WSP design, you simply bolt it together and hold it under the car, then mark your holes and drill and it's a perfect fit. very easy and you can do it in your driveway after you get the longitudinal bars welded in.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'm not sure why you're worried about the ends not being strong enough... the WSP SFCs are bolted together using 3/8" grade 8 bolts and I have yet to break a bolt. that means the joints are plenty strong enough the way they are... I understand you're trying to make them better, but what you're really doing is complicating the design for no real improvement. That also makes it harder to install because every piece will be required to be custom fit. with the WSP design, you simply bolt it together and hold it under the car, then mark your holes and drill and it's a perfect fit. very easy and you can do it in your driveway after you get the longitudinal bars welded in.

Its not the bolts breaking that I'm worried about its that over time the on thin flattened metal of the round tubing of the stage 2 the bolt holes start to expand and the fit starts to become looser and looser. That is the main reason bolt in SFCs arent as good as weld in solutions. But I actually came up with an even easier solution if we decided we wanted to make kits. This is only complicated because its a one time custom job showcasing the ability of this shop. If there was a kit built it would be more simple and utilize round tubing exclusivly.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:04 PM
STFU n00b!

that's why you don't use thin wall tubing on that stuff. the stuff that's on my SFCs is pretty heavy wall thickness.. 0.095" or thicker- been a while since I checked it. but I don't have any problems with bolt holes elongating on mine at all.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
that's why you don't use thin wall tubing on that stuff. the stuff that's on my SFCs is pretty heavy wall thickness.. 0.095" or thicker- been a while since I checked it. but I don't have any problems with bolt holes elongating on mine at all.

well warpspeeds SFCs do have that problem sometimes. I am sure you created a better set for yourself. The Warpspeed SFCs arent even chromoly which these will be.

That alone should add to the quality of these SFCs greatly. Probably add some weight too but no more than 5-10lbs more than the warpspeed design with much better quality.