4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I like Maximas

Flava you hit the nail on the head!

It was all about clearing the wheels for me. I had to have 16's for drag racing/street and its good insurance against nyc potholes bending 17in+ rims messing up tires. I also transferred two Bridgestone Potenzas i had on the SE rims (215-55/16) over to the rear 300zx rims (Z32 uses: 225-50/16).
If your wheels can fit the larger rotors you have an option.

the Z32 N/A rims i use are 16x7.5 they weigh 16.0lbs, and they look very stock. They are similar to stock rims, only lighter, and wider, and they clear the huge calipers
Essentially they are everything you'd want in an aftermarket wheel except bigger diameter. Don't forget the tire's contact patch Plays a huge role in braking.
Only the huge calipers give any clue to my max being modded.
I like the sleeper look.
(the rear TT wheels are 16x8.5 and weight more, i think 8.5's are too wide for my power output)

About the MC: I've been planning to post a writeup on it, as well as the front brake install using stock mounting holes, just haven't got all the pics and logs (i'm weird like that. i take notes during the install) together.

The MC's biggest advantage is better front-rear bias distribution. It also pushes more pressure for 12 total pistons.

the HARDEST part of the install: you need to BEND the brake hardlines going from the MC. one line you REALLY have to bend alot, and the other just moves over slightly. Here's where grace, finesse, or anything similar you might posess comes in hand. you HAVE to be very careful otherwise you might kink the hardline. I did several bends in different places to get it just right and avoid any line kinking. I first bent and installed the lines to the MC and then I bolted the MC to the Brake Booster bending lines here and there as i brought it closer and bolted it on. The MC install took me maybe 1 hour. but I still needed to re-bleed the whole system and that took longer. Don't rush this job, and YOU MUST USE THE FLARE NUT WRENCHES! too many people round off the brake fittings, and then complain about it. YOU MUST USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR EVERY JOB. there's no cutting corners here.

NOTICE: I believe you can do this mod ONLY IF YOU HAVE ABS.
I do not recall any Z32's without ABS. There are only 2 outputs from the ABS MC. One controls the FR and RL, the other controls FL and RR via the ABS box. It's the kris-kros braking pattern. The non-ABS MC has 4 outputs one going to each caliper without any distribution by ABS box.
Unless somebody knows how to convert the 2 outs into 4 (with maybe some custom splitter hardlines -- essentially two 1-into-2 splitters functioning as the ABS box does) So non-ABS Maximas can't just drop-in the 300ZX MC. That is the only campatibility issue I saw.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by vipervadim
So non-ABS Maximas can't just drop-in the 300ZX MC. That is the only campatibility issue I saw.

Hope this helps.

Doh!!
Sux for me. Nice explanation though.
The fronts really arent too hard, and I belive there is a write up on them. The rears would be nice to see the write up on though.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM

I have a question about the SS brake lines; my friend is selling his Z32 calipers with the SS lines, but it was from his 240sx. So will the 240sx conversion line work on our maximas?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:16 PM

let me get this straight.....

blehmco BBK- 12.7 rotors no spacers and no grinding anything
CObra BBK- 13in rotors with spacers and grinding the calipers? and no grinding the control arms?

*what on the caliper is getting grinded??
*where can i get the bracket for the cobra BBK?

might of misread the thread sumwheres down the line if it explained it... so if sumone can let me know i'd appreciate it. thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

You buy the Cobra bbk brackets and rotor centering rings from me. $90 shipped for both