4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Egr & Iacv

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
the bracket on the IAC Valve that holds the harness for the EGR flow sensor is held on by a 10mm bolt. take it off to get access to the 3rd bolt and also to actually be able to get the IAC Valve out before the rest of the stuff comes out. Gasket is recommended but not absolutely necesary. you can not clean teh EGR pipe without taking it off as most of the blockage occurs in the middle of the tube and not just at the upper opening. you will have to take the sensor out of the pipe when it is off (just use a set of vise grips) and dig all of the way through. you will also need to clean both the upper and lowr openings on the motor. Dont forget to top off your coolant when you are done and do your plugs afterwards as all fo the TB cleaner (not carb cleaner) you are going to use may harm the plugs. i stress may. PM Dexter from this thread and he should be able to fwd you some detailed instructions i sent him that make life a whole lot easier removing the small pipe. no bolt cutting needed. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=501941
i'd inspect the sparkplugs b4 running out and buying them, if you do change them get NGK's (some people prefer copper some prefer platinum)
Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by sky jumper
good thread.

can someone confirm that the '99 has a different EGR design? photos here don't seem to jive with what I have under my hood. and my FSM talks about an electronic stepper motor to adjust EGR flow.
I have a 96 so I don't really know, but I had heard that too. Or maybe it was just the California cars that had that???
Originally Posted by ardika
I suppose once you have the IACV off the upper manifold, we could either fish the carbon with coat hangar or have the brassy pipe removed completely. I don't know how bad is mine, but I am hoping it won't be the latter, since it looks pretty hard to get this piece off.
If you go back to the middle of the thread, you'll see that the person that told ME about it, never removed his pipe. He used a coat hanger and it was all good for him. I only removed it because I wanted to see it for my self.
Originally Posted by ardika
Reading through Hayness, I don't see a torque rating on those IACV bolts, do you guys have any idea what's the rating on them (ft-lbs preferred, of course)?
I just tightened mine real snug until they stopped. They're not big bolts so super-human strength is not required.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:05 AM
dnd
Donating Maxima.org Member

I cleaned mine this morning. I had troubles removing the small coolant line that's adjacent to the gas flow/temperature sensor: there wasn't enough room to use large needle-noses, and the mini ones I have were barely able to squeeze the clip. Nothing impossible, of course, but frustrating.

The greatest difficulty was removing the bottom bolts, which are the ones blocked by the large pipe (for some reason I had thought that the difficult ones were on the top). I had a "normal" 12mm combination wrench, like you'd buy at walmart or sears's basic line, which I think is too short. I bought a craftsman "professional" wrench (~3" longer), and I was able to pull without worrying that I was going to shear something (either the gas flow/temp sensor or my knuckles).
Old 12-16-2006, 11:17 AM
dnd
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a 99 and I think the pictures are fairly accurate. Any extra junk the 99s may have is closer to the front of the car or towards the driver's side.

That being said, I think they only start to make sense after the IACV plate (whatever it's called) has been removed. You can then see the brass pipe and the top mounting point (adjacent to the IACV plate parallel to the firewall) and the lower point (below the IACV plate).

I couldn't decide whether to use the nut driver or a short wobble extension on the 1/4" rachet. I ended up using the rachet, but that could partially have been to force myself to take care of the washers/nuts to ensure that I didn't drop anything. My experience has been that anything dropped back there disappears.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ERG code + misfire(s)

I'm so glad I found a current EGR thread.

My 99 EGR has no vacuum hoses - the EGRC solenoid is mounted directly to it. Here is a picture of it.

I managed to find a bunch of old posts about my problem. I bought the car at about 72k miles (mid '04). It soon threw an EGR code. I had "it" cleaned - Lord knows what was actually cleaned/inspected. The code came back after a couple weeks. Dec '04 I had the EGR replaced before moving out of state - which prevented me from storming back in there when the light came back a month later. The car was running fine for about a year before I noticed it chugging a bit. That's when I found this site - awesome. I had the code pulled - (1)EGR malfunction, and (2) cylinder 1 misfire... Read a million posts, was certain it was the coil pack, replaced it, the light went off by itself on the way home. The light came back in a couple weeks. NOW, I have failed emmissions, have only weeks to fix it, and have just noticed MORE misfiring.

Can anyone post about the connection between bad coil packs and EGR codes? A friend that used to run a shop said the EPROM is probably bad. Well, 99's got no replaceable EPROM, and the computer is $$$! The Snap-On diagnostic tool ($4000) he used could not communicate with my computer. What the hell is going on??
Old 12-17-2006, 04:20 PM

to the best of my knowledge, there is no connection between bad coil packs and an EGR code (aside from a bad coil causing bad exhaust which could lead to a quicker clogging of the pipe). who cleaned "it" and what did they clean? What is the exact code you are getting? (use your ECU to pull the codes and count the flashing lights). Many components to the EGR system and although a clogged pipe is usually the cause, it could be something else.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The code is 0302. I had it cleaned at (?)Allied and replaced at Pep Boys before I moved. Lord knows I should have looked for a Pep Boys in TN. I'm confident that no one cleaned the connecting tubes or anything BUT the EGR, based on the time it took. I'm gonna pull out that short pipe you've talked about as soon as daylight permits - may have to wait until Saturday. Also, I was running on that misfire for several months... any chance the catalytic converter figures into this?

FYI, I've read through this thread a few times. Erbentraut seems to have had the same problem, and others chime in with coil pack + EGR problems. It has quite the ending...
Old 12-18-2006, 12:47 AM

well, 0302 is very common.it is the flow code. I highly doubt pepboys cleaned anything aside from maybe cleaning the actual ERG which is almost never where the blockage occurs. and if they claimed to have replaced something then i am fairly sure they didnt touch the right part. you need to clean/have the small EGR tube cleaned thoroughly. I could be wrong but the onlyshop i could imagine doing this properly would be a dealership or yourself unless the shop deals significantly with maximas. I am sure if you gave the mechanic detailed instructions it could be done, but why pay someone $300+ when you can clean if yourself for the cost of a small ratchet set and 2 bottles of TB Cleaner. not to mention that you will end up cleaning the TB and IAC Valve in the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounbwoy,
Could you bring these pics back to life? Pls. I am attempting to fix this EGR problem. Thanks in adv.

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
If you follow the thread you'll see I had issues with the EGR valve code but here's a quick summary. I http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=dfc2re2.jpgreplaced it as well as a small piece of old http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=ed24re2.jpghose that was blocking the passage.
7Jackmack told me to look http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=6598re2.jpghere; (where the thin wire is coming out).
Well, I decided to pull it off and look. Here's what 246,xxx miles of carbon looks like:
http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=b7d0re2.jpg
http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=323cre2.jpg
Getting it off was the hard part, as there are two 12mm bolts on the bottom mounting point, and one is partially blocked by the big EGR pipe that comes out the back of the EGR valve assembly. Once off, I cleaned with Sea Foam, coat hanger wire, pick tool and flexible wire till I could blow thru it with no restrictions.
So far I'm crossing my fingers, and no CEL yet.Thanks again to 7Jackmack and the Org in general for the help.

While I was at it, I finally put my 17's on. You can see them here:
http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=79f5re2.jpg
http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=9fdare2.jpg
http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...nm=9fdare2.jpg
Old 12-18-2006, 07:02 PM

Should be back up now...
Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That pipe... it looks like it's tightened against gaskets.... Looks like they're the same size as the EGR gaskets. Should I pick up a couple extra?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by drumadore
That pipe... it looks like it's tightened against gaskets.... Looks like they're the same size as the EGR gaskets. Should I pick up a couple extra?
It wouldn't hurt. I reused mine....
Old 12-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
Should be back up now...
Thanks man!! I will try this when I get back from my trip.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 PM

So can I get to the bottom bolts of the metal EGR tueb from the top of the car?? or I have to get under the car?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM

You can do everything from the top..
Just take a look at it before you start and work slowly and methodically. If you're really tall, then have a masseuse (sp) handy when you're done. If you have access to a lift, that would probably help somewhat...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Error code P0400 (0302)

with 156K miles on our 96 maxima se, just got the P0400 error code. Went to autozone and the guy checked it for free. also failed state inspection for emmisions. glad that everyone on this thread were nice enough to leave detailed info: i'll get cranking on it this weekend and follow Sounbwoy procedure and clean out the 3 pipes.
I did some checking under the hood today and with the possibility of sounding like a d****s, ask for forgiveness in advance if any of the questions are too retarded:
- I revved the throttle to see if the EGR valve stem was moving. Well, looking from top down, it didnt seem anything was moving ??? am I supposed to reach under and touch the bottom of the EGR ?? is that where the moving stem is; obviously, from the top, only way to know is if I pt my hand on it.
- Why does the IACV have to be removed ? is it only to make space to get to one of the tubes in question ? I couldnt see where the IACV hooked up to any of these tubes in all the attached schematics.
- in order to get to the EGR, all the air filter and throttle body assembly have to be removed ???

Thanks guys. from all responses on the board, sounds like this would solve the issue. I'll hold off on buying parts until I do the clean first and drive 100 miles to see if the engine light comes on again. By the ways, our maxima is running fine, no pinging or anything, no drop in power. Just the failed emmisions.

Adios
Jimmy
Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM

I revved the throttle to see if the EGR valve stem was moving. I never even took the time to do this. I just replaced it, even after I found out the old one was just as good.

Why does the IACV have to be removed ? is it only to make space to get to one of the tubes in question
Yes. The IACV stuff does not link with the EGR system. If you're going to clean that tube, removing the IACV is the best way, unless you remove the IM which is what some people have done. Even then , it has to come off.

in order to get to the EGR, all the air filter and throttle body assembly have to be removed
It gives you more access...

our maxima is running fine, no pinging or anything, no drop in power.
I drove mine for almost a year with no issues.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:29 AM

I'm having problems getting to the bottom nuts of the EGR guide tube that connects to the collector and engine block. The big pipe from the EGR valve gets in the way and i'm having problems removing that pipe too. Exactly what tools should i use and what parts do i have to remove in order to get to the bottom nuts of the EGR guide tube?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Magic, I'm not looking at the car right now so my memory's a bit foggy...I DO remember a small adjustable wrench came in handy at some point. It's not going to be a cakewalk to do it, so it really comes down to just looking at it and figuring out what works. The adjustable is the only other tool I had to buy. Crazy as it sounds, my breaker bar and a tapered 10mm socket also came in handy somewhere. I just don't remember specifically where!! Sorry...
Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Subscribed