4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$513 for clutch replacement labor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$513 for clutch replacement labor?

hey guys, clutch went on me a few days ago i checked and the clutch master cyl was stuck (got a lot of pics and couldnt find any write ups so ill do one if anyone thinks it be worth it)

changed the master cyl, bled the system and i noticed the fork/lever was a little slanted and wasnt popping back all the way with the slave. tried to start it its like as it i didnt even have a clutch. dropped it off at a shop today before i went to work. its a AAA approved shop, National Transmission. the guy said they couldnt do it today too much work already but tomorrow i could be driving it. said labor alone for seperating the tranny from the engine and fixing the problem is $513!!!

that doesnt include parts. the guy said if the clutch gets changed hell throw in the slave cyl for free.

1) i had a mustang a few years ago, i know its RWD but the clutch labor was $300 for that

2) i dont give a flying whoo hah about a free slave cyl mine works fine hes not sweet talkin me

3) i dont have the time to do it myself and i really need my car. i do a lot of things on cars but clutch's are not one of 'em. $513 im thinking of maybe taking a crack at it

but again...i dont have the time or the space to do it. landlord is real *****y about me workin on my car

guys please honest opinion, should i just have my car towed to another shop?
im gonna go tomorrow in my wifes car and talk to him see whats up before they violate my baby

thanks guys i appreciate your opinions
Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 PM
SHIFT_up

way too much, not even worth it...should be btwn 200-300 MAX!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
HallKemar

^I'd have to agree. The clutch it self is about 150-200? Labor should be around the same...No matter how well experienced you are or how long you been running a shop...It shouldnt take you no longer then 2-3hrs to change a clutch...How much is he charging u an hr? 100? Also, just because a shops AAA approved it doesnt mean they arent liable to ripping you off/messing up..Remember they are humans, they make mistakes tooo...I know people without certifications that can pin point a problem on your car faster then a person thats been certified...Good luck with getting your clutch fixed..I had mine replaced about 1-2yrs ago..Been good since...You should try using a short shifter...Its fun..

Old 04-26-2006, 04:23 AM

Had mine changed a few years ago. My fourth. Total costs were around $450 for parts and labor.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:56 AM

Dealer quoted me $1000 for a clutch when I was looking into it.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:10 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

I've found from experiance that cheaper is not always better. People who quote you something cheap sometimes don't know what work is involved, but any shop should have a flat rate labor charge so call around and ask how much is charged per hour for labor.

You know how long it should take if you know what you're doing right? The shop I take my car too allows me to buy the parts and they put them on for me. Therefore the only thing I pay the shop for is the labor. If they tell me it's going to take them 2-3 hours and I think that's about right and the labor charge is cheap then go with them.

Find a place that allows you to supply your own parts and then you just have to worry about the labor. That's what it's really about isn't it? Any jacka$$ can go to Autozone or Advanced and buy the parts. Plus buying the parts makes you feel less ripped off because that's one more thing you are involved in. See what I'm saying?

WARNING: Buying your own parts usually means the shop can't garantee the work since it could be the part that messes up. In order words if something goes wrong you may be AWAL. Sometimes, depending on the part, if may be best to let the shop purchase it for you.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:02 AM

thanks for your input guys im gonna go over there in a little bit and talk to him and see whats up

god bless
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 AM

aaww man, i just talked to the guy in the shop. said the slave disc split and was doubling up on the pressure plate

got my AAA discount and he shaved some money off
he said hes charging me a flat $445 for labor.

12 month 12,000 mile warranty on labor and parts
no charge on fluids
OEM parts from the dealer
hes gonna resurface the flywheel and change the slave

parts is $500

comes to a grand total of............$945

my baby

my pocket
Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned

holy fing rip off batman. i bought my whole clutch kit for 125 + shipping.

your getting screwed. call around and have it towed. seriously.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM
HallKemar

^ I told him about going to those "certified" shops..All they do is use their cerfitication to jack up the prices...If you dont listen you must feel...900+ to change a clutch? LOL...Good luck man

Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 AM

hahaha, thats crazy. i spent prob around 600 for a brand new lightweight fidanza flywheel and act street clutch. I did the install myself and it took me a while but thats cause i was still at school and could only do it on the weekends. If its never been taken apart before i know it can be a royal pain. the driveshafts on my car were siezed up and it took forever to split them so i could pull the tranny out. Its a long job no matter how many times youve done it. Its a hell of a tight fit in there, and i know a lot of shops around my area that wont even touch my car cuase its to much of a pain in the *** to work on. But yeah, 900 is crazy, 500 for a damn clutch is rediculous considering i payed almost that for both a street/racing clutch and flywheel.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:46 PM

yeah my clutch just went bad dealer quoted me $700. $200 dollars in parts for the clutch kit! I was wondering is there a better than oem clutch kit? since i have seen some recing ones on ebay for like 150 bucks. However I still trust oem a lot better and dont know about aftermarket clutches. anyone have any input. Also i would do it myself but i just did the exhaust with headers and my clutch went out like 4 days later. so im like screw it. plus i got an important question as long as your paying them labor and the transmission is coming off and **** is there anything else they can replace there so i wont have any potential future problems, like a transmission seal???
Old 05-03-2006, 05:28 PM

yea..i got the 5th gen clutch kit, pressure plate, disc, and t/o bearing shipped for about $220
Old 05-03-2006, 06:29 PM
HallKemar

Originally Posted by AlpineGt66
yeah my clutch just went bad dealer quoted me $700. $200 dollars in parts for the clutch kit! I was wondering is there a better than oem clutch kit? since i have seen some recing ones on ebay for like 150 bucks. However I still trust oem a lot better and dont know about aftermarket clutches. anyone have any input. Also i would do it myself but i just did the exhaust with headers and my clutch went out like 4 days later. so im like screw it. plus i got an important question as long as your paying them labor and the transmission is coming off and **** is there anything else they can replace there so i wont have any potential future problems, like a transmission seal???
1st stage clutch all day!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned

install it yourself. it's really not that hard. buy a stage 1 clutch kit and a light weight flywheel. while your there replace the main seal.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you can't do it yourself and end up going to shop to have it done, ALWAYS buy every single part yourself. They will grossly overcharge you - like it's been said already, you shouldn't pay more than $200 max for the whole clutch kit. The shop I go to charges $65 an hour and the guys are awesome. $900 for clutch replacement is sickening.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:00 PM

Lol check a local dealer and see how they compare. If they are real close the shop is raping you.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
SHIFT_up

LoL i went to my tech today to check out my car and my rear seal leak and we spoke a little and i told him I'll also want to drop in a new stage 2 clutch since the tranny is gonna be out, change my mounts and bushings, tranny flush, SS clutch line, and all belts. About 2 weeks before he quoted me 350 for just the rear engine seal...pretty cheap actually and today he said damn since I'll have the tranny out anyway I'll do your clutch for free. I WAS LIKE WTF!!!!.....ummm TY. So basically changing all the parts i listed above will run me 400 in total, plus about 400 in parts. I love my mechanic!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Penguin1996
aaww man, i just talked to the guy in the shop. said the slave disc split and was doubling up on the pressure plate

got my AAA discount and he shaved some money off
he said hes charging me a flat $445 for labor.

12 month 12,000 mile warranty on labor and parts
no charge on fluids
OEM parts from the dealer
hes gonna resurface the flywheel and change the slave

parts is $500

comes to a grand total of............$945

my baby

my pocket

Slave disk???

You are paying too much. Plain and simple. If you don't care and just want your car back then so be it.

$500 in parts? your getting ripped again right there. Try calling Dave B at SouthPoint Nissan and see what an OEM clutch costs.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:34 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

So what did you do? Take it in the a$$? Cuz thats what the price on parts = a$$rape.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM

umm its $700 dollars for the parts and labor together. Is that any good? Anyway I am now thinking about doing it myself! What would I need to do and are the drive axles hard to remove? Since I absolutley hate car service anywhere. and no its not close by its a 2 hour drive for me to the cities! Do you guys will even think I will make it on this clutch? Its started slipping and I drove it 2 days after that and thats ity it got worse and worse tho! Should I be brave and just ****in do it myself! I have fair to good mechanical knowledge and have allready redone the whole exhaust myself with headers which required me to take of the intake manifold! It did take me a while though so how will it compare of the clutch replacement. I just don't feel like getting my hands dirty but then again i always think they dont give a **** about your car! Im so confussed right now, please help me out guys with any sugestions!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
No more Maximas...

It's not that...hard of a thing to do if you're fairly experienced in shadetree mechanics and if you have the right tools. I changed out my 4AT just last week in my driveway with a handful of sockets and wrenches, a floor jack, a couple jackstands and two 2x4s with ratcheting tie downs to bring the trans up from the ground. It sucked, but it was hardly the worst job I've done on a car.

The key above being having the right tools, which to make your life a lot easier is a transmission jack from Harbor Freight or Pep Boys or such. I think I'm going to do a writeup for other people to learn by my mistakes, but it's basically this - remove entire intake system up to TB, battery, etc; remove starter, axles; support trans from above or below, remove bellhousing bolts all around, remove trans mount, and drop it down. Replace all clutch components, jack the trans back up and reverse the break down procedure.

Basically if you don't really feel up to it and don't trust yourself to do the job properly, I wouldn't attempt it, let a shop do it. But if you believe that you've got the necessary tools and equipment, and affordable downtime for the car in case something happens, then by all means go at it. Worst car, you'd have it towed to a shop and charged labor for them to put it all back together.