4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&Rs, Illuminas and ??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:03 PM

H&Rs, Illuminas and ??????

Well, just got my Hankook k106's installed and Max is running smooth and sticky. Now I'm working on the suspension. I've got the H&Rs and will be picking up a set of Iluminas (after my tax rebate). I've seen other posts that recommend that you get/replace the front strut "bearings". Went to the Nissan dealer and he showed me the part. Seems kind of "cheesy". Two pieces of plastic that cost bout $30 each. What I was wondering, has anybody bought the KYB strut mount from TireRack? Do they have the bearings integrated? How bout the KYB boots at TireRack? Here's the link:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...del=Strut+Boot
Anyone with any experience with these, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, get the KYB Tirerack mount and bearing for the $30 for both pieces. I got them and many others have them. Bearing is not 'integrated' on OEM or the KYB. All the boots tear up with time.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JwaxMax99
Yes, get the KYB Tirerack mount and bearing for the $30. I got them and many others have them. Bearing is not 'integrated' on OEM or the KYB. All the boots tear up with time.
So I have to get the KYB mount AND the bearing? Yeah, my boots are just shreds hanging on the shocks. So, the KYB boots from TireRack are ok?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Update: Illuminas and H&R's INSTALLED

Today was the day. I had earlier asked my local Nissan dealer if they would install my new shocks and springs and they said "no problem". That was bout 2 months ago. Checked back with them last week when I had everything ready and they told me that they no longer installed "after market" parts. A bit steamed bout that. Went to the Napa garage that is around the corner and asked the manager if he would install them and he hemmmed and hawwed bout finally/reluctantly agreed. I was meeting so much resistance that I finally decided to do it myself, with my son. So, after checking the forums and the VQ site and armed with my trusty Haynes manual it was off to the auto craft shop. Got there at 1200 to find that they didn't open until 1300.. So, we killed som time. Shop opened and we signed in and got a bay. Things were rolling. Then found out that the shop would close from 1400 to 1500. Well, we got Max up in the air and pulled out the front struts and made a start at getting the new ones set. Took a break for an hour and then it was back to work. Fortunately the shop had a spring compressor and that went well. Also the availability of air tools was an absolute blessing! After a few hours we got everything in and torqued to specs.

Lessons learned.

Don't buy ANYTHING from the "stealership". I went to them to check prices and when I checked on the net they were at least double. Course everyone here knows that. I purchased the H&R's from Tire Rack, the Illuminas on Ebay, the KYB boots and bearings from the Group Deals.

Put on the boots at home before you go to the shop. If your shop charges by the hour it'll save you money. Also bring an extra twist tie or two. I had one slip off the boot and fortunately the guys at the shop had an extra.

I didn't need new mounts but did buy the new bearings and boots. I DID NOT buy new isolators. I would recommend that you buy new ones. Mine were just barely serviceable....dry and cracked. Spend the extra money and buy new ones.

Write down all your torque specs, front and rear before you start. Avoids having to find them later.

Have someone to help you. My son helped me as he has a vested interest in the car. He'll be getting it within the next 12 months. The extra hands and eyes help a bunch.

Have a full set of metric wrenches, sockets and deep wall sockets. Again, air tools are terriffic.

If you haven't done this before I'd recommend that you do one corner at a time. That way if you have a question you can look at the "other" side to check setup.

This mod can be done by anyone. Hey, I just proved it . Get your ducks in line and gather your materials and do it. I took some pics before but I need to take some after shots. I'll try and get those up. I can tell a difference in look. Lower, better. Ride is firm, no wallowing, no bounce. More later. Cheers