4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about Carbon Fiber Hood (cracked)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:00 PM

Question about Carbon Fiber Hood (cracked)

I recently got an oil change done from a shop and when I got the car back there was a little crack by the hood pin. I usually do my oil but it has been so cold so I haven't been able to and I was over due. Now I am fighting with them trying to get them to fix it. Well they said that a cf hood can be fixed but I told them as far as I know it can't be and that I need a new hood. Is it possible to get one of these fixed or will I need a whole new hood? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 PM

One crack is like 8 inches long and on the other sude of the hoodpin there is a few short ones. They tried to call me that it is because my hood isn't perfectly lined up or something dumb like that.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I support for what?

Seems to me that tried to open your hood and not knowing how to use the hood pins. I dont know what to say but sorry man hope it works out for you
Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 PM

I said the same thing. I think they tried to open it when it was lock and then they cracked it. Are cracks fixable?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:11 PM

Cracks are not fixeable. I'd raise hell with the manager.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
VK56 Inside

It would be near impossible to fix it and have it look like it did before. I would demand a new hood, or give them the oppurtunity to fix it with the clause that is must look like it did before or a new hood must be provided. Get that in writing if you go that way.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
100% chingon

Cracks are fixable. CF is the same as glass fibre except instead of glass fibres it's carbon fibres. Carbon is stronger that's all.
Cracks can be easily fixed using a glass fibre repair kit. GF or CF cracks are caused by flexing. Anywhere that has a fixing of any kind, hinge, hood pin, whatever, needs reinforcement. If your hood pin area doesn't have metal reinforcement built in around the hood pin holes, then it's cheap and you would be bound to see that area crack up sooner or later.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Blazin......

BEST ADVICE> BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. http://www.bbb.com/

Ive filled claims w/many of companies that TRIED to screw me over...

After 3 claims against them they must close there doors... Im sure they have 1 outstanding for No-oil in someones engine... they dont want another..

Sound professional, dress nice and get ur A-game together... you'll get what you want, believe me!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 PM

i fckin hate that sheisty mechanic BS. dont let them try to act all oblivious to what they did. man, even if they WERE oblivious to damaging it, they are still at fault.
i hope its not a small business.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 PM

or free oil changes for life haha.

anyways....yeah, cracks are not fixeable. demand a new one. good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by clive
Cracks are fixable. CF is the same as glass fiber except instead of glass fibres it's carbon fibres. Carbon is stronger that's all.
Cracks can be easily fixed using a glass fibre repair kit. GF or CF cracks are caused by flexing. Anywhere that has a fixing of any kind, hinge, hood pin, whatever, needs reinforcement. If your hood pin area doesn't have metal reinforcement built in around the hood pin holes, then it's cheap and you would be bound to see that area crack up sooner or later.

What are you taliking about, what hoods have predrilled hood pin holes with metal reinforcement built in it? Where did you get that info from?

Depending on the size if the crack, will determine if it can be fixed. I had my rear window tinted, and when the guy parked my car when he was done he pulled to far forward and scuffed my front lip on the parking block. It put some pretty good scratches on the lip and a bunch of stress cracks in it. I complained to the management and asked to him to come out and look at it. He saw the damage and asked me if he could try and fix it, if it couldnt be fixed he would pay for another one. i agreed and he had his FG guy who normally builds speaker boxes work on it. When he was done i couldnt even tell it had been bumped into the curb.
This is what it looked like...

Now if your hood is the same it may be fixable. If it cracked all the way through, from the top layer throught the middle and underside, not just the top layer of resin, then it most likely is unsalvageable.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:33 PM

ouch... damn bro, sorry to hear, ya raise hell with them cause carbon fiber are not fixable u'll have to get a new one...

bobjohnson thanks for the site, I never knew there was something like this.... awesome...
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

It can be fixed, but you are going to need a skilled repair man to do it. As Clive had mentioned, it is simply strands, and what would need to be done is that the finish taken off, the crack realigned, and a new topcoat of MEKP + polyester resin be applied in multiple coats, then clearcoated once again.

Sadly, however, it will never look like it did before.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
100% chingon

Yup. The biggest part I ever replaced was a complete front end of a Mini. That was a single moulding in GF of hood, wings, front. On which all the usual stuff like lights were fitted. Tilt-over gives 100% access to everything.
I had hood pins and the stock fittings were just 1" washers laminated in, and stress cracks developed after about 6 months. I had to build up the area behind and incorporate metal reinforcement.
Just incidentally, the enormous reduction in front end weight radically messed up the car's handling.
The example given of the damage to a CF bumper or air dam by the look of it, is different; it's accident damage. Of course the damage to the hood could also be accident damage by the sound of it. But skilled repair techniques do exist, and, as you should know, it is not your opinion that counts, as to whether it is repaired or replaced. It is the opinion of the insurer that matters.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by ethnic6

bobjohnson thanks for the site, I never knew there was something like this.... awesome...
No problem bro.. I have reported a FEW Business's to the BBB..

It's pretty much how the government controls good business's to stay open and Close's Doors for those that screw people over...

Ive had a case w/Dell Computers, Verizon wireless, Paypals cc company all were resolved and i droped my filing claims...
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mechanics have insurance.... it wouldn't come directly from their pocket....
Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by Guinader
mechanics have insurance.... it wouldn't come directly from their pocket....
Mechanics have to work 40+hrs to obtain that insurance. Most Employees that work at a Valvoline-oil change are in college and part-time employee's.

Beside's,. The critera isnt there b/c they dont know 'which' employee is resonsible for the damage created. Under company policies disclaimers should state, the company must be held liable for actions performed by current employees.

Do you want me to call the shop as pose as your lawyer... get r' done!