4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quieter Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:07 PM

Quieter Exhaust Setup

So I am sick of the loud droning exhaust on my 95 GLE, been blasting my stereo to phase it out for a while now. I don't remember when it first occured, because I had a leak in my stock muffler, and a piece of "heat shield/resonator (not even sure if this is the correct part)" thing from under the car fell off the street to work. On my way back I notcied it was flat and crushed, and I beleived it may have a bunch of small holes. I am not sure where this piece was attached to, and I am not sure if this is contributing to the loud droning sound. I have a 3rd gen dual tip magnaflow muffler given to me, and the sound is the same. I know he gave it to me cus it was too loud on his 3rd gen. I was looking on Ebay and saw some dual tips with silencer, would that help, and would finding that piece of unidentified part help?

- ßaller
Old 03-04-2006, 06:05 AM

I'd run it up on some ramps and take a good look at the whole exhaust system. I just got through replacing my original 97 muffler with a stock replacement, but after looking carefully at the whole exhaust I can see it's about to rust through in a number of areas. The center hanger next to the resonator is rusted away and some of the heat shielding is missing. Start it up on the ramps and make sure there are no holes or leaks at joints contributing to the droning. What you lost is lmost ikely a heat shield component. It should be obvious whats missing once it's up on ramps.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

Do you have a resonated B-pipe? I had to put a resonator on my car after installing y-pipe and after market b-pipe and stillen muffler. It was way too loud. The resonator made a big difference. After all that I'm going back to a stock muffler instead of the Stillen.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:24 AM

When I had the donated muffler given to me, the shop did a wonderful job welding all those loose hangers that had already rusted and was clanging against the car. I may order those resonator I saw on ebay for pretty reasonbale pricing. May be it was a heat shield that fell off, cus I don't know what other thing would be under there unless I can look at another 4th gen.

Did the new resonator help with noise reduction? All my pipes are stock, except for the replaced muffler.

- ßaller
Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
V^___^V

this is my old exhaust setup w/ magaflow SS muffler and wsp y-pipe. it's even quieter than my greddy sp2... also it looks good too.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Proud Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by ßaller
When I had the donated muffler given to me, the shop did a wonderful job welding all those loose hangers that had already rusted and was clanging against the car. I may order those resonator I saw on ebay for pretty reasonbale pricing. May be it was a heat shield that fell off, cus I don't know what other thing would be under there unless I can look at another 4th gen.

Did the new resonator help with noise reduction? All my pipes are stock, except for the replaced muffler.

- ßaller
Yes, the resonator did help. The one I'm talking about was cut into a section of my muffler. Not the type that sticks into the tail Pipe. Sounds as if you have a leak in the system.