4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blown Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Blown Valve?

Driving my car today and i stop and my car starts to stall then it cuts off. I start it back up and black smoke comes out. i drive it another mile and it stalls and cuts off at stop sign again. this time it neva comes back on. so i get it towed to pep boys. they tell me that i have a blown valve or blown gasket that only the dealership can fix. How much do u think the dealership will charge to get it fix? THe car smokes on the right side of the engine when i try to start it.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Onlt the dealership can fix = we're too and dumb to try.

Do you haveny codes, is there coolant in your oil?

'Blown' valve = highly unlikely

Gasket... which one? My guess is they were talking about the head gasket, but then you would see white smoke.

Is the CEL on? If so what codes are you getting?

How's your intake tract looking, andthing obstructing or in the way of the maf?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Yea i know and i took it to pep boys! White smoke coming from engine. black smoke comes out when i restart it after it goes off. Check engine light only comes on once it dies. Im not even sure if they ran a te mst on my car. The dude did something to it like pull the fuel pump off then plug it back in and it started. Then he comes back and said i think u have a blown valve or blown head gasket. THen he recommends me to take it to a nissan dealership. My car got 141k on it, should i get it fix or get another car? I have a 95 se auto just like u, did u eva had this problem? the smoke is coming from the left side of the engine if facing it!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Alternators are known to burn up on 95's. Perhaps thats where the smoke is coming from, but thats only a guess from reading this thread.

Get the car to a good mechanic and have them look at it and figure out what's really going on. Then get a quote to fix it and make your decision based on the real facts.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by maxiquin
Yea i know and i took it to pep boys! White smoke coming from engine. black smoke comes out when i restart it after it goes off. Check engine light only comes on once it dies. Im not even sure if they ran a te mst on my car. The dude did something to it like pull the fuel pump off then plug it back in and it started. Then he comes back and said i think u have a blown valve or blown head gasket. THen he recommends me to take it to a nissan dealership. My car got 141k on it, should i get it fix or get another car? I have a 95 se auto just like u, did u eva had this problem? the smoke is coming from the left side of the engine if facing it!
The smoke is probably caused by oil and coolant getting into the combustion chamber. You need to do a compression test with a leak down. I think you need another motor. Even if you change 2 heads, the block might still be warped or the piston rings might be leaking.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 AM
No more Maximas...

Well white smoke is coolant, which could only really be a head gasket or possibly (not likely, but possible) a crack somewhere in the block where a water jacket comes close to a cylinder, more specifically up near the combustion area.

Black smoke is usually fuel, running very rich.

A problem with the valves, I can only really think of the seals broken down and letting oil leak into the combustion chamber, but that would be blue smoke.