4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What to look for-95' SE 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM

What to look for-95' SE 5spd

I will be checking out a 95' SE 5spd later this week. One owner, California car, no rust, no leaks, 135k. asking $3950.

What should i look for? i hear there are sometimes transmission issues around that mileage? correct? What else should i look for in this car, it seems to be in excellent condition as i looked at the advertisement, but i just want some extra advice.

Thanks

-Harrison
Old 02-18-2006, 02:22 PM

I have a 95SE, 5-speed, but its a low miler (just coming up to 63K mostly highway miles).

Mine is a Canadian model with limited-slip differential, so I am not worried about the dreaded differential bearing problem.

The only problems I have ever had (owned the car since day 1) are:

- replaced an 02 sensor on warranty about 8 years ago
- replaced oil pressure sender unit about a year ago
- seized right rear brake caliper last April. My fault as I hadn't used the parking brake for about 5 years. Replaced both rear calipers and brake pads at the same time.
- monitoring leaky left transmission seal. Negligible gear oil loss.
- replaced headlight bulb
- replaced battery
- recharged air conditioning with new R134A.

Check out the CV boots, belts, hoses, suspension and exhaust. Try and find out when the fluids were last changed.

If necessary:

- flush brake fluid, power steering fluid and radiator coolant
- replace transaxle gear oil with GL4 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil. Do not use GL5- replace oil and filter
- check condition of air filter
- replace fuel filter
- clean throttle body, IAC valve
- replace PCV valve
- check condition of spark plugs. Replace with NGK laser platinums or coppers if necessary.

135K on a 95SE is nothing in the scheme of things. The car is barely broken in.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:31 PM

You are right to be concerned with the transmission. Look for a leak on the driverside axle seal - where the axle goes into the tranny. If that is leaking, that can foreshadow a bigger problem down the road. Within an hour of driving my car, the tranny was leaking (my fault, I didn't know what to look for), and my tranny was replaced under warranty.
With 135k mi, some normal wear and tear items might be up for replacement, Bobo covered the list pretty extensively. You might be due for a clutch job as well at that mileage - that's about the time where mine was slipping very badly. If the car is in as good of shape as you say, you will have found a beautiful car. I still love the styling of the early 4G's...
Old 02-18-2006, 02:45 PM

It really depends on how the previous owner treated the car. I bought my 95 SE 5-spd with 200,000km on it. In my case, the owner kept it in immaculate shape, and was very much on top of the maintenance. It was an older guy, so the car was completely stock when i got it, and he didnt beat it up. The car is currently at 215,000km and on the original clutch....which still isnt slipping either. The onyl repair I've had to make so far is an alternator. So basically what im saying is, if the car you're looking at as taken care of...i wouldnt worry.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Also listen for suspension noises.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
You are right to be concerned with the transmission. Look for a leak on the driverside axle seal - where the axle goes into the tranny. If that is leaking, that can foreshadow a bigger problem down the road. Within an hour of driving my car, the tranny was leaking (my fault, I didn't know what to look for), and my tranny was replaced under warranty.
Working in order of severity:
1) Flakes of metal in the tranny oil means bearing wear. You cannot tell which bearing though. It should be possible to use the little drain bolt on the passenger/rear side of the tranny (below the axle) to drain a small amount of gear oil into a cup for inspection.

2) A little play where the axle is held into the differential means the differential carrier bearings are bad.

3) Leaking at that location means the play is severe and the differential carrier bearings are really shot.

Dave