4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone with extended travel strut mounts, a lil help here..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM

anyone with extended travel strut mounts, a lil help here..

ive been riding on extended travel mounts for 2+ years now, (i think). previously i had commented that i had concerns over the design, because there was nothing to retain the rubber seat in place. to give a quick description, the stock metal mounts are "cupped" in design, so that the rubber seat actually fits inside the mount, and not just on top of it, the way they do on the extended ones. there is a metal edge, inside, and outside around the rubber seat to prevent any possibility of side to side movement. ive never come across anyone saying thev've had a problem before, so im just wondering if im the only one.
few days ago i got a flat on one of my rear tires. so while i was changing it, i looked up and noticed that the rubber seat for the spring, is no longer between the spring and the mount. the entire rubber seat, is twisted, and sitting inside the spring itself. its basically doing nothing, and there is complete metal to metal contact between the spring and the mount.. i dont know how long its been like that, or if i should be concerned about the spring slipping out of place also.
i did not do the install myself, it was done by a VERY reputable member on this board, and dont want people pointing fingers to how they were installed. im just trying to find out if other people have experienced a similar problem, and if anything was done to prevent this from happening again.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Which springs do you have? Some aftermarket springs are so short that they will lose contact with the mount at full extension of the shock. This could allow the rubber isloator to move out of place.

Any springs with the German TUV approval (OEM, H&R, Eibach, and a couple others) will never lose contact with the mounts.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The original design of the Motovational mount had ridges that the upper rubber seat sat in. IMHO it is a much better design then whats available now.

Take the rear shock assembly out, replace the seat if needed and reseat it. Put a little adheasive between the rubber and the mount to hold it securely in place.