4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who is the steering experts in here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Who is the steering experts in here?

Here's my problem: I went to get my tires balanced the other day and the cords were showing on the outside of both tires. The car has been riding real rough over bumps, and lately when I brake, the steering wheel jerks to one side. If I let go of the steering wheel, it will pull hard to the right. The right front wheel sometimes feels like it is disconnected from the rest of the car. The car is just not fun to steer right now. It sways alot.

I don't know if this is a tie rod issue, a control arm issue, both, or neither.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Steering wheel jerking while braking could be warped rotors, or a caliper siezing up.

When's the last time you got an alignment? That would help the pulling out a bit, or should.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally Posted by pmohr
Steering wheel jerking while braking could be warped rotors, or a caliper siezing up.

When's the last time you got an alignment? That would help the pulling out a bit, or should.

It hasn't been that long ago for the alignment. I think something is broken though, because I had just checked the tires recently and they were fine. They went bad in a hurry.

I'll check the rotors, but I think it has more to do with the steering.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
slackass

1st
not who is the experts
rather...
who are the experts

2nd
what is the condition of your front suspension?

3rd
Toe alignment has the greatest impact on tire wear. If both front tires are showing heavy shoulder wear on the outside edges, they are be toed in. Could be a couple things like worn tie rod ends or a bent steering arm or even a bad alignment job. Did you get a printout of the numbers when you last had it done?

the thing to do is to take the tires off and check it out. A worn or bent(i dont think this is it because you have it on both sides)
is noticeable
Old 02-10-2006, 06:40 PM
vsamoylov

ok
first of all get new tires and make sure they balance them
then get an allingment
when the tech is doign the allingment, if something is bent the tech wont be able to alling the car

Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally Posted by mymaxlvsattn
1st
not who is the experts
rather...
who are the experts

2nd
what is the condition of your front suspension?

3rd
Toe alignment has the greatest impact on tire wear. If both front tires are showing heavy shoulder wear on the outside edges, they are be toed in. Could be a couple things like worn tie rod ends or a bent steering arm or even a bad alignment job. Did you get a printout of the numbers when you last had it done?

the thing to do is to take the tires off and check it out. A worn or bent(i dont think this is it because you have it on both sides)
is noticeable

1st-I realize I screwed up the thread title. Thanks for pointing that out though. You don't have to talk to me like I am one of the retards on here. I meant who is the steering expert in here. You screwed up too btw.

2nd-the front suspension is stock. This is on my wifes 98, and we haven't changed anything on it.

3rd-I had the alignment done at what I believed to be a reputable shop, but I'll have that checked out.

4th-thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Maxima Owner

tires with chords showing will cause jerking of wheel also ......umight want to get new ones
Old 02-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
tires with chords showing will cause jerking of wheel also ......umight want to get new ones

I've already replaced the tires, the steering is still real sloppy.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Maintenance Monster

I'm surprised the shop didn't diagnose the problem. If the problem started after that alignment, I would take it back and let them diagnose it since many of the possible repairs would involve an alignment afterward anyway.

Dave
Old 02-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Have the front end checked by an alignment shop. Something isn't right.
Could be loose ball joints ect... We can't guess whats wrong, you need to get the car up on a lift and inspect everything.